I Bet You Never Used a Metal Detector to do this!

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the 1980's and 1990's I was a major baseball card collector. In the early 90's one of the major baseball card companies put out a special hologram card. The chance of getting one of these cards was about one in five hundred. You basically had to buy a hundreds of packs of cards and you might get one hologram card. One of our local stores was selling these cards, they had several cases of them on the store floor. I asked the store clerk if I could use my metal detector (Fisher 1220X) to check the "wax packs". She said "OK". So I preceded to sweep every pack of baseball cards under my coil until I got a beep. Only the packs with the hologram card would sound off. It worked. I left the store paying for the two packs of cards that had the hologram card! Those special cards were worth about $10.00 each back then, don't have a clue as to what they are worth now? Still have them!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool story!

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Neat idea, I remember those cards from back in the early 90's, I tried a few times for them also. I'd basically open them and when they wasn't any, I'd throw them in the box like they were garbage.

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So will it work today? I thought the bottom fell out of (newer)Baseball card collecting when they went on strike. I remember how my Ken Griffy Jr Rookie card was suddenly worthless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread