Questions on old ring (cleaned pics added)

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found an early 19th century womans? ring. Value wise is it worth more as part of collection or does it possibly have actual value, it's about an 1/8th of an ounce. If we are speaking about only the metal value then it's worth more to me to keep in my collection, if there is value beyond that due to age etc. then I have to mull over my options. It's my first one so I have absolutely no clue. Hopefully it wasn't a dumb question.

Attachments

• 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 311
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 326
OP
OP
H

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Questions on old ring

Also clean it, yes or no?

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The ring may have some value due to its age, and I would only wash it in soap and water to eliminate the dirt. But do not ruin the patina.

Maybe if you can post some clearer pictures, more people can advise you.

OP
OP
H

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is the best I can do...

Attachments

• 040 (2).jpg
    040 (2).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 292
  • 041 (2).jpg
    041 (2).jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 310
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 300
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 303

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:hello:

We find thousands of those in the UK, some are Horse related and some are the frames for the Dorset Button.

SS

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't believe its a ring. I found something just like that on an old site and don't know what it is. :dontknow:

OP
OP
H

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Starting to look that way. It hit gold #'s and my lesche nicked it slightly and golden shimmer is peering out. Other than that I thought washer or something. It fits on my little finger so it is at least a size 5 if it is a ring...for the toe ring comment

dallgire

Jul 17, 2011
Around Columbia SC
Detector(s) used
rather not say! lol ;)

ok gotcha! It just looked really small next to that penny! I saw the picture and looked at a penny and was like good lord!

OP
OP
H

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are two pics of the ring like thing cleaned. What looks like mishapen darkness in the center is shadow and grime, it is symetrical.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 202
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 197
OP
OP
H

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is from an old homesite, in the middle of woods, family owned, know all the dumping locations, spark plug unlikely.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also thought sparkplug gasket, but last picture does look like a ring. :dontknow:

OP
OP
H

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lookingdown, I see you use an AT Pro. I'm not that great at metal identifying(on stumpers) unless it's pretty obvious. The object yet to be determined hits a clean solid signal in Pro mode zero, with a reading of 60. Any guesses from your experience..a def. metal id would help determine if its a ring or not.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hosensack said:
lookingdown, I see you use an AT Pro. I'm not that great at metal identifying(on stumpers) unless it's pretty obvious. The object yet to be determined hits a clean solid signal in Pro mode zero, with a reading of 60. Any guesses from your experience..a def. metal id would help determine if its a ring or not.

From my experience round, ring shaped stuff signals higher regardless of what the metal is. Iron harness rings will signal in the dime region even though they are made of iron. It has something to do with the way the eddy currents are generated in a round, ring like object when the coil passes over them.

-Swartzie

OP
OP
H

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is more info. I tried to put this in the appropriate forum now that it is a "what is it" but this is getting more replies so I'll give my new info here as well.

I did research on colonial wedding bands, in the colonial times puritans and many americans thought jewelery to be frivilous so they did not wear it. For a wedding engagement some would give a thimble as a token to the woman, after the ceremony the bottom of the thimble would be cut off and worn by the woman as a ring.

Any chances this could be a thimble bottom? Would explain the cut(scuff) marks on the one side.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread