Ancestry.com

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a trial subscription to it. I wanted to research a couple places that I had already been working. Just curious about who lived there and when. It was interesting. I can't remember if it had old maps on it or not. Old maps is where I get started for finding a new place. Historic mapworks has a lot of maps. Not sure how many they have on Kentucky though. http://www.historicmapworks.com/Browse/North_America/

-Swartzie

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Tau44 said:
Does anyone have a subscription to Ancestry.com? If so, do you think it is worth it? Is it a good place to find and do research on for metal detecting? Debating about whether to get a subscription or not?

I had a subscription for a year. I was able to trace my father's side of the family (England & Scotland) to arrival in the US in 1640. I would have had to pay extra to trace my mother's side, as they arrived in the US before WWII (1933, Germany).

I did try to see if Ancestry.com would be able to provide more info for two of the treasure hunt projects I was working on (one in US, one in Spain). Let's just say it would not be my first choice, as the subscription price nearly doubles and triples once you start to search outside the US. (I'm not complaining about their prices- I can usually find what I am looking for on the internet for free most of the time anyway.)

Their US Census rolls are mostly readable on-screen, but my screen copies of the rolls are one step better than "poor" in quality (barely readable). However, I have also used US Census on library microfiche, and their copies are about the same quality. (So at least you can save some gas from not having to drive to the library to use the microfiche.)

They are adding new stuff on a fairly regular basis, so I can say that I would probably subscribe in the future should they add something I really needed.

Hope this helps!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
if it's maps you want check out the Library of Congress map site. I have found some interesting stuff there. There is one drawback though, the maps print out, in the highest resolution at app. 5"x5". If you want a larger map, you have to zoom in on an area and copy it ,etc,etc,etc, and peace it together, but the resolution is great.
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/brouse/ListSome.php?category=maps
You can also just search library of congress map room.
Frank

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had subscriptions to it in the past for doing genealogical research but don't think the site would be in my top ten list of sites for detecting information.
If you want to spend money on an internet site to help your research, try one of the on-line newspaper services with an archives of old papers. I subscribed to one for a while...not cheap...but had a ton of newspapers from the civil war period. Didn't find many detector clues but it sure was interesting reading.

Seriously, there are many, many more sites to do research for free then to spend money for one or two places you may scarf off a pay site.

Try Cindi'sList for a lot of genealogical data, literally thousands of links listed with sites, data,personal pages, etc.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread