Possible to detect through Asphalt?

Lailokken

Tenderfoot
Nov 1, 2008
Heya all,

I was wondering if it's possible to detect through asphalt, and if so, what would be the proper procedure/type detector to use? It's an old property in my city, probably one of the oldest. There used to be a store located on it, and a butcher shop. I was told there was a Well at one time too, but it was filled in long ago and asphalted over.

thanks

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lailokken said:
Heya all,

I was wondering if it's possible to detect through asphalt, and if so, what would be the proper procedure/type detector to use? It's an old property in my city, probably one of the oldest. There used to be a store located on it, and a butcher shop. I was told there was a Well at one time too, but it was filled in long ago and asphalted over.

thanks
I can't tell you the procedure, but it is certainly possible to detect metal things through asphalt. Just about any detector will pick it up.

dgnbama

Mar 6, 2011
hayden alabama
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes and no, asphalt is a combination of sand, tar and stone or slag, most parking lots are paved with whats called stone seal and you probally could detect through it, but if it's slag seal it will drive your detector crazy.

It must be a good place that will be alot of work to dig those finds up. HH

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
dgnbama is right: the composition gives most detectors fits. Your depth is limited. And to the extent you can balance to it (or have machines that adjust, etc...) you've got to remember that the asphalt is only a few inches thick. Then the soil underneath that (the DG base-rock bed it's laid over), is going to be an entirely different composition of minerals. Thus if you're detector is tuned/balanced to the top few inches, for acclimation to minerals, it's like it comes to a crashing halt beyond that, because it's a different composition. Ie.: the soil is telling the machine what the type closest to it, is composed of. I know this isn't very scientifically explained, but ....... maybe I'm making sense? :P

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just wondering how much trouble you'll get in when your digging up asphalt/ :dontknow:

OP
OP
L

Lailokken

Tenderfoot
Nov 1, 2008
Thanks all for your responses.

The lot is in a state of disrepair currently. Overall it's asphalt, but for the most part it's cracked, broken, etc. The city dates back to 1825, and this building (from what I've been told) is one of the oldest in the city. Given that, I was thinking it might be a good spot to try.

I've read these forums for a long time and have been wanting to get a metal detector. Finances have kept me doing so, but I may be in a position to buy one soon. I figured I would talk to you experts first and get some advice first, which is greatly appreciated.

Again, thanks

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
your best bet is to talk to Mike at woodland. :wink: buy what you can comfortably afford- then take your time to learn to use it, and it will help you afford something better in the future if your patient. I picked up a cheap bounty hunter for about $200, it broke, then I returned/replaced it -added another $90- and got a $290 Garrett Ace 350 from a major supplier (they have ads on this site) it found me a good amount of silver jewelry, pendents, bracelets, rings - I upgraded again to the Minelab E-Trac after talking to Mike at woodland. I got a good deal on it and I love my machine! The deal was so good that I'm not going to tell you what I paid for it. just saying less then other places sell for :) (Thanks again Mike!) what ever you get if you become good at learning what it's telling you- you will find good stuff. just law of averages, get out and dig everything at first until you learn your machine choice (and in my opinion their aren't any bad choices unless you can't use them to find good stuff!!) even a lower end Ace 250 will produce if your in an older area and digging when it tones out over silver/gold. :icon_pirat: opinions on here are all over the place, and everyone is right - they all work! (or those companies would be out of business!)

one word of warning though, I got really impatient before getting my minelab -if you can (I didn't!) wait and save jewelry, then sell it off and buy the best you can. I have been giving my finds to my girlfriend and keeping the good stuff, over dumping it for better stuff- but it's a hobby, not a job so it's all good! ::)

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted asphalt. It was an old drive in theatre. I didn't have the tools, but my buddy brought over some pick axes that he uses for gold prospecting and we made easy work of it. Of course, I wouldn't dig junk targets. We only dug silver/wheat penny hits. I've still got some asphalt chunks with silver in it that I've just decided to let them stay in it as something to talk about.

This was only about 2-3" of asphalt and with our machines, picking out silver coins was extremely simple. I wouldn't do this at a trashy house site to be honest. I would get too lazy and tired of pounding away at asphalt only to get old lamp parts, etc.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
bazinga said:
I've hunted asphalt. It was an old drive in theatre. I didn't have the tools, but my buddy brought over some pick axes that he uses for gold prospecting and we made easy work of it. Of course, I wouldn't dig junk targets. We only dug silver/wheat penny hits. I've still got some asphalt chunks with silver in it that I've just decided to let them stay in it as something to talk about.

This was only about 2-3" of asphalt and with our machines, picking out silver coins was extremely simple. I wouldn't do this at a trashy house site to be honest. I would get too lazy and tired of pounding away at asphalt only to get old lamp parts, etc.
I agree.

OP
OP
L

Lailokken

Tenderfoot
Nov 1, 2008
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the pointers and help. I have spoken with Mike a bit. As soon as finances allow I will be contacting him again about getting a detector.

safe paths and good fortunes

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Wow, you been spying on me? I was doing this the last couple days at a nearby construction site. Done this a lot in the past also when finding original asphalt sidewalks or driveway aprons under the newly removed ones in the local streetwork. Yes it's very possible and can be productive. A couple days ago I got an excellent quarter signal on my F70 under an asphalt drive at an old homesite that will be removed entirely.

Now if anyone says you cannot damage a Lesche send them my way. Get a good rock pick, old asphalt can break up fast but you need to work the cracks a bit, especially if the target is in the middle of a relatively undamaged section. I'd also suggest a ginormous screwdriver or small crow bar.

Forgot to pack mine in the hurry to get there the other day. Get the crack wide enough and you can pry up a good section easily.

The first target I got under this old drive was very promising, a reign guide from a buggy or sleigh in fairly good shape, about 4" under the asphalt. Well it wasn't a quarter after all but a nice looking relic all the same.

After that, the finds mostly mocked one hard pavement breaking event after another. All clad, a couple mems, a clad rosie. Yeah they sounded great and not knowing when the the drive was paved made it seem like opportunity was knocking but that's it for that site.

Other sites have yielded far better results and junk as well but you never know. Target reads and depth indicators seemed very good on these targets. The older such sites where the asphalt is under a sidewalk bed are usually terribly noisy and littered with a great deal more iron trash and fragments.

But if your site is fairly current and or the primary layer then most mid-level MD's should do just fine at hitting the targets under those spots.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While it's certainly possible, I haven't tried it. It just seems to me like a lot of work for very little. I'd say if you're just getting started, look for easier diggings.

OP
OP
L

Lailokken

Tenderfoot
Nov 1, 2008
Thanks again for all the insight and suggestions. I spoke with the current owner a while back. At that time he was considering putting in a new lot. That's what got me to thinking it may be a good place to try. This particular area had a store on it early on in the city's history, so I thought it might be a good area to maybe find jewelry, silver coins, etc.

S

stefen

Produce Guy said:
I'm just wondering how much trouble you'll get in when your digging up asphalt/ :dontknow:

Rule of thumb...if it's not your own personal property then do not disrespect property of others...

And because it may have an absentee-owner, that does't give anyone the right to violate the property...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread