Which is the biggest treasure in the world never found? Pirates,Masons,Spanish.?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Which is the biggest treasure in the world never found? Pirates,Masons,Spani

You've got it Pappy! ;D ;D

Mike

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Which is the biggest treasure in the world never found? Pirates,Masons,Spani

gollum You've got it Pappy! ;D ;D
Mike
K, get of of me knee ya big lout, yer too heavy, go sit in your hi chair.

Tropical Tramp

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)

What an interesting question!

In the ancient world, there are two cases of the national treasury disappearing at the time of Roman conquest, the fall of Carthage and the fall of Mauretania; in the first case there was no estimate of how much gold and silver but was believed to be thousands of talents of gold and more of silver;(a talent was about 110 pounds) in the second instance several hundred talents of gold and several thousand talents of silver vanished with the Roman armies searching frantically to find them; no one has ever found the tomb of King Solomon, which is believed to contain several thousand talents of gold and more silver; during the reign of Alexander the Great, the man he entrusted with the some of the captured treasury of the Persians (Harpalus) absconded with the gold (unknown amount) and silver (5000 talents) and fled first to Athens, then to Kyrene with a hired army of 5000 mercenaries and attempted to set up his own kingdom - Harpalus was killed and his attempt to set up a kingdom failed when Ptolemy intervened, and the mass of gold and silver stolen from Alexander has never been found. The Knights Templar are believed to have amassed a huge treasure (part of the reason why the kings went after them) which has never been found too.

In more recent days, the vast accumulation of gold of Montezuma that filled a room disappeared in the time between the Spaniards being expelled from the Aztec capital and their return months later - some clues point to this mass of gold being secreted in the US. There is also the 17 tons of gold smuggled into the US by Mexican speculators and hidden which has never been found. The Oak Island treasure is an unknown also, but several possibilities exist - such as the treasure of the Templars, perhaps buried by Henry Sinclair, or several other ideas. Perhaps the greatest treasure never found is the Ark of the Covenant, a holy device built by Moses with supernatural powers, or the Holy Grail which is supposed to have caught the blood of Christ as he died on the cross - there is also the mass of treasure listed on the ancient Hebrew Copper Scroll which if true is thought to be worth some $50 BILLION today. Then there is the "mother of all lost treasures" the lost mines of King Solomon, which have never been located. They were supposedly so rich in gold that even working with the most primitive of tools and methods, the output was as much as 666 talents of gold per year, along with silver so plentiful it was described as common as stones in the street and gemstones as well which made Solomon the wealthiest man in the world in his day.

There have been several great heists too, art heists,the Lufthansa heist ($5.8 million - not sure about this one but think it was never recovered) the Securitas robbery in the UK (53 million pounds not sure of dollar value), etc not to mention untold amounts that simply vanished when the Second World War ended. You know when you think about it, if people ever thought about how much treasure has been lost and never recovered, they would simply not believe it. Now I am getting some new ideas again - hmm!!!! 8)

Oroblanco

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't forget about the Ark of the Covenant! That would be a pretty big treasure!

Mike

OP
OP
saint2529

saint2529

Jul 11, 2006
Some studies said that the ark is under the Gorgota mountain (where Christ was crucified)
When Jesus died all the blood goes down throughout the floor and goes to the lost ark.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Wow never heard that one before! Is there any article(s) on this online where I could read more? Thank you in advance,
Oroblanco

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I won't say anything.

Best,

Mike

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Er, why not Gollum? Might be a great story!

Is the name Gorgota another way of spelling Golgotha? (Wouldn't be the first time we have seen different spellings of names in the Holy Land) I just never heard of this story of the blood flowing down to the Ark before - would like to hear more!

Oroblanco

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The only two references I can find for Gorgota is a city in Romania, and a mountain in Ethiopia.

I'm sure it would be a great story. Please tell.

Something the size of Noah's Ark would be larger than Golgotha. It is a hill, not a mountain.

Best,

mike

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Hi Mike, while Saint2529 didn't specify which ark exactly, I think it is safe to presume he was referring to the Ark of the Covenant, not Noah's Ark; the Ark of the Covenant is not too large (dimensions are in the Old Testament, smaller than some bedroom dressers or trunks) to be buried. I would find it quite fascinating that such a holy relic, the most revered in existence (when it was not lost) would have been buried at Golgotha, a rather lowly place where trash was thrown and convicts executed. Strange no? I just had never heard this legend before, would LOVE to hear it! ;)

Hey wait a second, if there is a hill in Ethiopia named Gorgota, now isn't there a theory that the Ark of the Covenant ended up in Ethiopia? Of course then how would Jesus have been executed there, well outside the Roman empire? I really would like to hear more of this story.

Roy ~ Oroblanco

L

ledfoot

oak island is a 50/50 shot i think it's one of those story's too old
to ever know the truth about how the story came about
there have been some bits i heard discovered from the "pit"
and last discovery channel click by show i saw not long ago said
there is someone currently funding a search today who is a real believer
to be dishing out the bucks to find out whats below
but somehow i think if it were a true tale of something really being there
someone with the engineering would have come along by now
we have technology that send us to the stars.. a 100 feet in the ground below an ocean
just doesn't seem like a large obsticle to defeat if there is that much payday
-
below is a story the way i remember it being told to me, i may be wrong about the facts but the story is an example more less
here in connecticut, south of me about an hour is a small town called newtown,ct
there is is told that back in the day, there was a GOLD discovery in a remote
hillside stream bed, and the man or men who started it needed investors to properly retrieve the gold from it's location,.......
once they had enough to run with , skipped town with the investors money as you'd expect
i believe one of the investors was Ethan Allen (famous old guy revolution days?)
anyway... one or two of the investors, people who probly shelled out all of their money
to this ,or used the wifes money and had to have something return on it-
they moved this stream bed 3 or 4 times (you can still see today where it used to run and how they moved it around to try and locate where this gold was)
...do not think they ever did find any it was "salted" but the husslers to make it look like there is gold there,
(The location i found out about because it was in an early 1900's rock and mineral book i had some photocopy's of and do some mineral collecting/prospecting
and own a Herkimer crystal mineral claim in upstate NY for the last 25 yrs)
the NEWTOWN GOLD MINE was listed as a location of gold,quartz, and a few other minerals
-but just goes to show how far a story travels,even a small one
and how much effort by those who do believe
can be amazing
i may go back to do some MD'n sometime,not for gold but stuff those who were there looking so long ago may have lost, but i'm sure it's been tried before me
and i got lots of places closer to home just as tasty sounding,so maybe the race is on now that i shared the location of a gold mine hehe
good luck to everyone

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Oro,

That makes much more sense in an engineering kind of way (Covenant vs Noah's). But I agree that it doesn't make much sense in a historical way.

Supposedly, the Ark is in Ethiopia, in a church. It is guarded by one man only. He spends his entire life as the Ark's Guardian. He is born into the job, and dies at the job. He is celibate, and doesn't ever do any drugs or drink any alcohol. He is as pure as the driven snow. They won't let it be photographed, but they do show the crowns of the old kings that are supposed to have come from Solomon's Temple. All this was in a documentary about the ark some years ago.

Best,

Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Ledfoot,

Oak Island is a fraud. The entire story about three kids finding the deserted island in 1795, and then finding the depression in the ground with a cut rope hanging from a bent tree branch above the depression is fabrication.

Oak Island was not uninhabited. In a survey of the island from the late 1700s, the supposed place where the depression was is named "lot# 18" It was part of an old farm. There is also NOTHING written about it at the time (1795). As small a community as that was, it would have been big news! There is no written account of the treasure until about 1859. That was the same time a group was looking for investors to find the treasure.

The gold link disappeared. The inscribed stone disappeared. I can find NOWHERE, any pictures of the coconut fiber that supposedly ran from the two bays on the island to the well. There should be PLENTY of it!

Best,

Mike

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Oroblanco said:
I would find it quite fascinating that such a holy relic, the most revered in existence (when it was not lost) would have been buried at Golgotha, a rather lowly place where trash was thrown and convicts executed. Strange no? I just had never heard this legend before, would LOVE to hear it! ;)

Roy ~ Oroblanco

What's the best way to hide the most revered treasure in history? Stick it where no-one will look.

Interesting note about Ethiopia. Do you know what Church? Can people visit it? I'd love to see it!

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

BTW,
It wouldn't shock me the least bit to find out a lot of these lost treasures were found, and never reported. This is what happens when you try to file a claim..

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/HC-Treasures5.html

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Hello friends,

That Oak Island treasure is fairly well documented, and a lot of material is online. There are photos of the engraved stone, the gold links, the bit of parchment etc though the actual items have disappeared considering we are talking about a treasure this should come as no surprise. Here are a few of the many articles and websites on this mysterious site:

http://www.activemind.com/Mysterious/Topics/OakIsland/story.html

http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/

Here is a photo of the bit of parchment that came up on the drill bit:

MP-PARCH.JPG

(from http://members.tripod.com/~Zomb/OAKISLAN.HTM )

Just do a Google search and you will turn up a couple million hits.

What the heck is buried there, and how much is it worth? There have been many theories including Captain Kidd's treasure (strange since he was one of the least successful pirates of all), Blackbeard's treasure (again, odd since Teach's base of operations was far south in the Carolinas), loot from the French king, loot from the British king, some kind of Knights Templar treasure secreted there by Sir Henry Sinclair, an archive of texts written by Sir Francis Bacon which would prove he was the author instead of Shakespeare, even a holy burial site of Coptic christians fleeing the Muslim conquest of North Africa. It is one of those mysteries that is similar to the pyramids, in that you can expound about any sort of theory and find ways for it to "fit". Using the inscribed stone, several "translations" have been propounded, which led to several different "attacks" on the island by drills, heavy earth-moving equipment, giant pumps etc. However, the various renderings of translations from the engraved stone almost certainly are wrong, and the stone may be something quite different from a "treasure" type marker entirely! Here is a rendering of the stone: (there are photos online somewhere, don't have time to hunt them down)

stone_inscription.gif

Now, for all those who see Pirates or king's emissaries hand, just compare this type of inscription to ancient Berber and Tifinagh!

berber1.gif

(from http://www.ancientscripts.com/berber.html)

Considering that ancient Berber pretty much fell out of use about 300 AD, what does that tell you? Hmmm.....

The Oak Island mystery has led to some wild ventures and led to the deaths of several people! How much the potential treasure might be worth is open to the sky, but we really don't know what might be there - it might be something quite different from gold coins or silver bars! Unfortunately due to the ham-handed tactics used by earlier treasure hunters, it seems extremely unlikely that we will EVER learn what was deposited there with so much engineering and effort (even to the point of having had to build a sea-wall to keep the waters away while the traps were constructed) that one has to doubt the tales of pirate treasure or some royal emissaries fleeing in haste - this took TIME to construct, and considerable manpower - plus the cocoanut fiber for the trap tunnels which had to have been brought from quite some distance. Oak Island has been the subject of several television programs, it is a fascinating mystery indeed.

Anyway Oak Island is one of the great remaining mysteries in our world, I hope to hear some day that someone has indeed found whatever it is that was buried there, be it pirate treasure, the Holy Grail or texts of Francis Bacon; (though that strange alphabet points to a much older source IMHO). Hey, I like this, turnabout is fair play - now how do YOU like being in the "skeptic's seat" Gollum? Hee hee! You kept me on that seat for weeks, or at least it seemed like that - and I don't like being the "skeptic"!!!

Then there is the Ark of the Covenant, which really disappeared from history. There are theories and some wild claims about this too - even a movie made about the search for it (Indiana Jones) but the hard facts are difficult to find. The Ethiopian claim to possess it is not backed by biblical sources - for their story goes that the Queen of Sheba (they claim her as well, and is possible - Strabo and Diodorus mention that eastern Ethiopia and what is today modern Yemen were ruled by one monarch for some time) had a child by king Solomon, and this son went to visit his father when he reached manhood; Solomon supposedly gave his son the Ark, who then secreted it away to Ethiopia for safekeeping. This is where the Ethiopian story falls apart, since the Ark is still mentioned as being in Jerusalem several centuries later. (This also quashes that claim that the Egyptian king who attacked Judaea after the death of Solomon took it, also since he never captured Jerusalem it is highly unlikely) The Ark disappears when Nebuchanezzar attacked and captured Jerusalem, and we are pretty sure that the Babylonians didn't get it either, since they made a record of ALL the loot they captured and there is no mention of the Ark. The Old Testament does give a clue, that the Ark was "hidden in it's place" where ever THAT might be! I would find it highly unlikely that they would have chosen to bury their most sacred object outside the city walls in Golgotha (again, where garbage was tossed and criminals executed, an old stone quarry actually and difficult to dig in) but who knows? There are theories that the Knights Templar dug it up and secreted it away (again another theory that it was buried in Oak Island!) but no proof.

The Ethiopian Ark is kept in a special small building with an iron fence and a full-time priest guarding it - no one is allowed to enter the enclosure, much less ever look upon the Ark. If they DO have it (Graham Hancock is of the opinion they DO have it, that the Ark was carried there when the Babylonians attacked Judaea) and the stories from the Old Testament are true, it would be a very dangerous object and you would be risking your life to look on it! There are theories that this Ark was really a giant capacitor, and that Moses used it as a sort of "magic" weapon, and there is some reason to think this might be the case. (After all, Moses had been raised in Egypt and educated with royalty, and would have learned some of the "tricks" used by Egyptian priests - in fact there are Egyptian "arks" similar to the Ark of the Covenant so...?)

Dang it, almost forgot about what is perhaps the OLDEST lost treasure legend - the "Cave of Treasures" described in apocryphal biblical texts! This cave supposedly holds the remains of Adam and Eve as well as severl of the earliest patriarchs, along with their treasures of gold, silver and gems, which cave was sealed in the time of Noah to preserve the remains from the biblical Flood. People were out hunting for this hidden cave in the days of Ur and Abraham, and even before the pyramids were built. How much was hidden there? Who knows? ???

This has been an interesting thread, thanks friends, and I hope you all have a great day! ;)

your friend,
Roy ~ Oroblanco

PS Saint, I hope you will fill us in with more on that legend?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Hello again,
Dang Mike I am starting to really wonder about you. First you didn't notice that I had listed the Ark of the Covenant in an earlier post (reply #24, quote Perhaps the greatest treasure never found is the Ark of the Covenant, a holy device built by Moses with supernatural powers,) and posted Don't forget about the Ark of the Covenant! That would be a pretty big treasure!(reply #25), then you assumed that Saint (the originator of this thread) was talking about Noah's Ark instead of the same Ark of the Covenant even though we had just been discussing the Ark of the Covenant in the previous posts, now you think that the link address where I borrowed the photo from is on the parchment? You think this Oak Island mystery is a "fraud" (your word) even though people have died searching for it, there IS a photo of the inscribed stone here on T-net (under the Oak Island thread) even several television documentaries have covered it, yet you buy into the whole Peralta stone maps story? ::) Yeesh.....

I will go read your link article, but really Mike is there something wrong? Seems like something is wrong. ???
Oroblanco

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

haha!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread