A Good Treasure Novel or Movie Recommendation

medelman

Tenderfoot
Feb 1, 2005
White Bear Lake, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Can anyone recommend some books or movies that have good fiction or non-fiction treasure hunting or lost treasure stories. I had my fiance watch the movie Goonies with me and it sparked in me a desire to read/see other stories like it. It will be getting cold here in Minnesota soon too! Also Are there any authors that are similair to Dan Brown's writing style? I've enjoyed all of his books, but need something to hold me over till his next one!

Matt

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Hey Matt...Havent heard from you for a while! Glad to see you back in the forum....Goonies was a great movie....I also liked National Treasure with Nicholas Cage...There is so much out there to read ...where to start?....this forum has tons of treasure legend stories ......Have you been out hunting? Or up to Siren. I am actually heading up past Siren in a couple of weeks...Great place

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
There are always the current movies - National Treasure, Holes - and the oldies like Treasure of the Sierra Madre (wasn't that Bogart?).

You really got me thinkin' waaay back when I was a kid, we had a book by J. Frank Dobie (I think) titled "Apache Gold, Yacqui Silver" It was a collection of different stories about the southwest, including several about lost treasures. We lived in Texas then, I don't know where you are, but the book would be a fun read, anyway.

Oh wow, I just did a search on Amazon.com for " j frank dobie ." They even have a copy of Apache Gold, Yacqui Silver available! Wow, he wrote a LOT about the southwest.

have fun and HH
Nan

OP
OP
medelman

medelman

Tenderfoot
Feb 1, 2005
White Bear Lake, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
National Treasure, Holes and Sahara were all great movies! I am really looking forward to the next Indiana Jones. Hopefully it won't be disappointing.

kldrawdy

Jun 15, 2006
Arlington, TN
Try reading anything by the author Wilbur Smith, he's very good.
Also try the author Douglas Preston, they both write treasure/adventure type books.

kldrawdy

Proolio

Sep 25, 2005
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Into the Blue was a good movie in my opinion. Good story line.

A

azelismia

Have you read the LoveJoy Novels by Jonathan Gash? They also did a bbc show based on them. They are intrigue mixed with treasure hunting. There is another book that's based on rare book hunting " Bookman's Wake" and "Booked to Die" that I'd highly recommend, by John Dunning.

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Coronado's Children by Frank Dobie is a great book of tales.

As Far as Movies "The Deep" released in 1977. Is a great treasure story. It involves sunken Spanish Treasure and the perils of treasure hunting. One of the best treasure hunting movies ever.

It has it all. Note: not for children. Lots of people die. Also there is a hot babe scuba diving in a shirt that just melts to her body. :P ;D

ericwt

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Kinda funny how "the Deep" and "into the blue" are pretty much the same story.
I had to buy them for my collection.

National Treasure
Into the blue
The Deep
All Indiana Jones
Americas greatest place to find cash and treasure? (travel channel)

I also have this series i found on the net that is narrated by Mark Hamel about the world greatest treasures.
4 DVD's with 5-6 episodes each........Really gets you going!!!!

I got the move "the Deep" from DeepdiscountDVD.com for like $6.00.
samething with the DVD set it was like $8.00 for the whole set.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
I'm a big fan of Clive Cussler. many of his Dirk Pitt novels have a treasure hunting theme. Lots of good action/adventure.
grizzly bare

K

Kentucky Kache

These little books are by Charles Garrett.
The stories are mostly, if not completely, fictitious. But, they
are interesting reading.
This is actual size of the books.

Attachments

• CG.jpg
    CG.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 371

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
:o The One, Only, Original Treasure Novel! Probably responsible for more Treasure Hunting Dreams than any other!

"TREASURE ISLAND" by Robert Louis Stevenson!!!!! 8)

#2.) some of the Hardy Boys Books by Various Ghostwriters!

#3.) Pieces of Eight by Kip Wagner

#4.) The Treasure Hunter by Robin Moore & Howard Jennings

#5.) Coronado's Children by J. Frank Dobie :o

S

Shark Bait

Read anything about Captain Mission. He was this nut (and pirate...same thing I guess) who went around claiming he "was not a pirate, but a gentleman"...while he was stealing money and goods from other ships. He founded a town on an island (in or near...can't remember) Jamaica and the locals (while he was away pillaging one day) were eaten by natives whom they believed to be their friends. Capt. Mission was also best friends with Captain Tew, who I'm sure you've heard of...not really treasure, but I like anything to do with pirates.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about the "Finale of the Rape of Pamama" © which concerns Morgan and details for the first time where he finally buried the loot from Panama, which he stole from the other pirates. It is still unrecovered. maybe Chagy, or Freisen will do it?

"The history of a west coast Pirate, Cromwell"© which details his short career in Looting La Paz, BC, when it was the pearl center of the world. It even details where his ship was sunk, ripe for salvage.

Or even the unreported story of a secret German submarine mission to contact and give money, instructions etc. to an espionage group working in the American South West in WW-2. Title ??

Tropical Tramp

S

sendin

I recommend:

Treasure Ship by Dennis Powers

and, of course

Ship of Gold by Gary Kinder

Both are non-fiction - amazing stories -

Check out the reviews on Amazon

Denny from Sebastopol

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Old Movies about treasure:

1. "Legend of the Lost" with John Wayne and Sophia Loren.
2. "Lust for Gold" with Glenn Ford and Ida Lupino.
3. "King Solomon's Mines" with Stuart Granger and Deborah Kerr.
4. "The Maltese Falcon" with Humphrey Bogart and Mary Astor.

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like "The Man Who Would Be King", with Sean Connery and Michael Caine. An older movie, but a classic. In one seen they find a treasure hoard left behind by Alexander the Great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread