OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Sentinel, I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your $2k to $8k find here. Now that would be worth the $200 entrance fee, but then again ,I am not a gambler. I would rather find a cache and split it with the owner rather than pay the owner and find nothing. Just my point of view. I may not agree with your point of view, but I respect your right to have it. Frank

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn,

There was a time that I thought I was cheap. But you, my friend, have taken it to a whole new level. $200 is nothing these days. They are paying JUST $200 to go out and have a great time with current friends and possibly make some new friends with like minded individuals. And maybe they will even find something worth their entrance fee or even more in the process. Even if they don't, they get to experience history at a very personal level and take some of it home with them to admire and share with friends and family.

Heck, people spend THOUSANDS of dollars just to travel to walk on places like Gettysburg, etc. And for just $200, you have a chance to take some of it home with you. You can't do that at Gettysburg!

Now let's get back to discussing how much better the concentric coil is than the DD coil... ::)

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bazinga, I'm afraid you got me nailed down! I am cheap on expenses. I travel in a 22' MH, sleep for free in rest areas, Wall Marts lots, Love & Flying J stations. I fix my meals in the MH so the cost is the same as at home. I can drive across the US coast to coast for the price of diesel. I have done this many times. When in S Cal, I stay free at the Slabs near Niland. Maybe way back there is a little Scottish mixed in with the Irish and Bohemian. I have hunted Gettyburg, but not on federal property and it was free, except for the campground fee. I have even hunted the state park where Poncho Villa raided Columbia NM. It too was free except for the camp ground fee.

As for coils, I use concentrics because that is what came with them and I figure the Manufactures know their product best and my finds have proved that out to me. Frank
PS love that dog!

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The $200 to hunt for three days is nothing. Now the experience to hunt with some really great people is priceless. This is such a great event that we all enjoy so much. Good food, good finds, good friends and a lot of fun all makes it so much worth going.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Treasure hound, Good luck, hope you find one of those $8K relics and enjoy the company. When you get back, please post your finds here,I would be interested to see them. Frank

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Frankn said:
Treasure hound, Good luck, hope you find one of those $8K relics and enjoy the company. When you get back, please post your finds here,I would be interested to see them. Frank

I don't care if I find an $8000 relic as I am not in it for the money. Just to hunt on a historical site with some great people is worth it for me. I have seen what they find at these hunts and they find thousands of relics ranging from bullets to gold coins. I will post my finds when I return.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Since my answer posts were removed by Woody from his posting and he told me not to post on his post I will answer NJ THer here. No I wasn't at occupy wall street but I think they have a right to express their opinions no matter how dis organzed they may be. What do I gain by posting my opinion you ask? Lets turn that around. What did you gain from posting your opinion? Did the 1st amendment have anything to do with it? Into each life a little rain must fall learn to live with it ! Frank

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel you have ever right in the world to post your opinion but I think there is some other underlying issue here. My point is that I don't agree with the price of lots of things and there are people out there willing to pay for it and someone makes some money...who cares. That is what America is built on...Capitalism at its finest.

My opinion is that if you have a problem with someone making a profit then your anti-American.

If you like the idea so much and feel you can do it for a cheaper price then by all means do so but don't just sit there and complain about it. That's what people on welfare usually do...there is no jobs...everyone else is making money but me...everyone should support me. Do something about it. Put together your own hunt and if my schedule allows maybe I'll even attend it.

I've worked my entire life and have paid for everything and anything I've ever owned by myself. Never looked for a hand out or got jealous of what others had. If I happen to have a low paying job at the time I would just work two or three jobs. America is still the land of opportunity if your not lazy and if the holders of this hunt which I personally don't know are willing to put the work into it then by all means I hope they make the most they can from it. Go America!!!

NJ

PS You are always welcome to post on my threads and I will never request to have your posts removed...happy hunting.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digging Fool said:
As with anything, those who want to will, and those who don't won't. ;D

Well said...I'm a little more long winded.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
NJ THhr, Well lets try to figure out your post. In the first paragraph you state I have every right to post, But in the 3rd paragraph you state Don;t sit and complain. Does that mean that you think I only have a right to post what you agree with, because that is what it implies.
You say you worked and payed your way, well I have worked since I was 12, and usually 2 jobs at a time to support my wife and 5 adopted children. Yes I have payed my way and still do at 74.
You say the promoter should make the most he can from the event. Well I beg to differ with that statement. Where I was brought up that was called highway robbery. There was a set amount of FAIR PROFIT that you should go for not excess profit. Excess profit is the problem with this country today. You can just look at the price of fuel and see that.
As for setting up my own hunt, I am not interested in that. I work at conserving artifacts and relics and in art and photography. I am also engaged in cache hunting all over the USA. I try to help people on T Net. I furnish a lot info on site locations and technical info. and yes I try to help those I feel have fallen pray to advertising hype, but that is not easy.
Well happy hunting in the pine barrens, Frank

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Frankn said:
Since my answer posts were removed by Woody from his posting and he told me not to post on his post I will answer NJ THer here. No I wasn't at occupy wall street but I think they have a right to express their opinions no matter how dis organzed they may be. What do I gain by posting my opinion you ask? Lets turn that around. What did you gain from posting your opinion? Did the 1st amendment have anything to do with it? Into each life a little rain must fall learn to live with it ! Frank
I'm sorry I didn't say not to reply to my post's Frank, I simply asked you didn't distract the main intent of the thread. I agree everyone has their own opinions, and they should be able to voice them. I have no affiliation with this hunt, or profit gain. I just felt it was worth posting to let folks know there are great organized hunts out there worth attending. For me, having attended similar hunts like these in the past, it was worth every dollar spent to attend. I'm not a rich guy myself, but the friendships I made attending were very much worth it. I respect your views and opinions, and I can even agree with a few of them, but I feel if a grown man decides he wants to treat himself to attend an event with like minded individuals, that's his choice. Happy hunting
Mike

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
There was a set amount of FAIR PROFIT that you should go for not excess profit.

Frank, you're good for traffic on this site. I, for one, can't wait to see what silliness you're posting each day.

There's just no such thing as a "fair" profit in a free market. The profit is driven by what the market will bear. It's certainly not what Frankn wishes it to be. You've exercised your rights within a free market by not purchasing. The rest of your ramblings are just you pissin and moanin since you don't have enough money to make the cost seem reasonable. I know you're getting on in your years, but you might think about getting a job. It's amazing how actual income can change your view of cost :tongue3: :laughing7:

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shambler said:
There was a set amount of FAIR PROFIT that you should go for not excess profit.

Frank, you're good for traffic on this site. I, for one, can't wait to see what silliness you're posting each day.

There's just no such thing as a "fair" profit in a free market. The profit is driven by what the market will bear. It's certainly not what Frankn wishes it to be. You've exercised your rights within a free market by not purchasing. The rest of your ramblings are just you pissin and moanin since you don't have enough money to make the cost seem reasonable. I know you're getting on in your years, but you might think about getting a job. It's amazing how actual income can change your view of cost :tongue3: :laughing7:

I honestly don't think its a matter of footing the bill Shambler, considering he did do a hunt for $175 with extra accommodations, it appears the issue is the simple fact of making people pay a $200 fee to hunt period without any extra incentive. Yeah, the comradery is great, but i enjoy hunting with other people just as well without having to pay $200 for a 2 day hunt, and his "pissin and moanin" is his opinion, its you who believes its pissing and moaning because your narrow mind can't comprehend a different point of view.

On top of that, apparently nobody minds paying $200 dollars to hunt with other people, considering it was mentioned several times. I have hunted with quite a bit of people and i didn't pay anything....Looks like their plan is working out pretty well, several hundred people willing to pay $200 for comradery, now that is a great marketing tool!

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Woody, Your memory is slipping. Quote from your PM to me on Oct. 20 3:11:14 AM- "Stay off my threads please, I am going to remove your comments again" Don't you remember that ? I still have the PM. Now you stated you didn't profit from the hunt! You got 2 free passes to the hunt quite possibly I assume for the ad on T Net. That means you got the value of $400 before you even start selling at the hunt.

Sham, Your turn. You said get a job. You didn't read the last paragraph of my post. I have art work hanging in galleries right now and I am working on a conservation project right now.
When I took economics in college Fair profit worked like this, the manufacturer makes an item for $2.50, the wholesaler buys it for $5, The retailer buys it for $10, the customer buyes it for$20. That is an example of fair profit as opposed to excess profit taking of as much as you can squeeze out of them. This country was built on a fair market bases and now excess frofit taking is tearing it down. Look at oil prices. It cost $5 to produce a bbl of oil. Today's price is $93.80 as I sit here. Are you going to stop buying fuel because it is to high? I dought it. So you free market theory is out the window.

HuntNdig, Thank you for your honest opinion.

Frank

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Woody, Your memory is slipping. Quote from your PM to me on Oct. 20 3:11:14 AM- "Stay off my threads please, I am going to remove your comments again" Don't you remember that ? I still have the PM. Now you stated you didn't profit from the hunt! You got 2 free passes to the hunt quite possibly I assume for the ad on T Net. That means you got the value of $400 before you even start selling at the hunt.

Sham, Your turn. You said get a job. You didn't read the last paragraph of my post. I have art work hanging in galleries right now and I am working on a conservation project right now.
When I took economics in college Fair profit worked like this, the manufacturer makes an item for $2.50, the wholesaler buys it for $5, The retailer buys it for $10, the customer buyes it for$20. That is an example of fair profit as opposed to excess profit taking of as much as you can squeeze out of them. This country was built on a fair market bases and now excess frofit taking is tearing it down. Look at oil prices. It cost $5 to produce a bbl of oil. Today's price is $93.80 as I sit here. Are you going to stop buying fuel because it is to high? I dought it. So you free market theory is out the window.

HuntNdig, Thank you for your honest opinion.

Frank

Just curious how you price your art work, Frank. Most art work I've seen doesn't really follow that formula you cited. $10 piece of canvas, $10 worth of paint, a few hours labor, = $2000 painting.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
NJ THhr, Well lets try to figure out your post. In the first paragraph you state I have every right to post, But in the 3rd paragraph you state Don;t sit and complain. Does that mean that you think I only have a right to post what you agree with, because that is what it implies.
You say you worked and payed your way, well I have worked since I was 12, and usually 2 jobs at a time to support my wife and 5 adopted children. Yes I have payed my way and still do at 74.
You say the promoter should make the most he can from the event. Well I beg to differ with that statement. Where I was brought up that was called highway robbery. There was a set amount of FAIR PROFIT that you should go for not excess profit. Excess profit is the problem with this country today. You can just look at the price of fuel and see that.
As for setting up my own hunt, I am not interested in that. I work at conserving artifacts and relics and in art and photography. I am also engaged in cache hunting all over the USA. I try to help people on T Net. I furnish a lot info on site locations and technical info. and yes I try to help those I feel have fallen pray to advertising hype, but that is not easy.
Well happy hunting in the pine barrens, Frank

What is there to figure out?? You have every right to post your opinion whether I agree with it or not and I can post mine. I personally don't understand what your point is...you keep saying its too much but there are people that want this and are willing to pay the $200. Me for one, think it is a great price for the opportunity of hunting a Civil War site which I would not have access to otherwise. Where I live I don't have access to these sites and if me and my wife were not expecting our third child next month I would definitely want to be there. To me it seems like you are just complaining to make noise and are not offering any solutions or other options to these people that want to hunt a civil war site. If you have a farmer friend down there that will let any T-Nets come down and hunt their property please do share.

It sounds like you have an awesome family and that you are a hard worker...happy to hear and God bless you and your family.

Still does not make sense to me that you have such a problem with a $200 fee for a two day hunt that many if not all of the hunters could not do otherwise. Do you know what the expenses are to run a hunt like this? Maybe most of the profits are going to the land owner who could be about to be forclosed on by the bank and this is a last ditch attempt to nake his house payment and keep the farm that has been in his family for 150 years. (hypothetical scenario I hope) If you have some inside information you are not sharing with the rest of us please do so.

As far as advertising hype...what are you talking about. I don't think this hunt was position as anything but what it actually will be. If they were guaranteeing that every hunter would find a relic worth thousands of dollars I would say your right. All I've read is that for $200 the participants will have access for two days to a site that was a Civil War camp. During those two days you will have the opportunity to meet other like minded individuals that have decided like them to spend their own earned $200 on this hunt. Which we will all agree that in America you should be able to spend your own earned money on anything you would like and think has value to you...unless Obama has his way or it is illegal.

As far as I can tell you have this opinion which is your right and I think you may have one other support here on T-Net but the rest of T-Net seems to have no problem with it. If others think this is wrong then by all means please post your opinion here since I, and if I may speak for you Frank, Frank would love to hear it.

I live a little too far north to hunt the pine barrens but thank you anyway for the kind wishes.

I wish the very best for you and your family...I hope you have a very prosperous 2012.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also in economics class we learned about supply and demand.

Lets use your oil analogy:

Who controls the oil supply? OPEC

Who controls OPEC? Algeria, Angola, Ecuador, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Libya, Nigeria, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and Venezuela

Who controls the oil/gas demand? The consumer

Fact: Oil directly effects the price of gas.

Conclusion: Once OPEC restricts the release of oil to the point that it no longer makes sense to the consumer to fill up their gas tank then they will find other means of transportation. Maybe mass transit, walking, biking, sailing, etc.

Now back to the hunt.

Who controls the hunt? The promoters

Who controls how many people are willing to pay the $200 fee? The consumers

Conclusion: Once the promoters raise the price to the point that the consumer no longer feels there is any value they will not sign up for the hunt. In essence eliminating the hunt all together.

Once someone discovers an large enough oil reserve to take power away from OPEC or someone discovers a farmer with another Civil War camp that will do a hunt for cheaper then $200 we will have to learn to live with these two evils.

This is just too much fun...Frank I think I love you.

NJ

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
N.J.THer. You are right, a dual of whits is always fun. OK lets see. You left out one factor, the economy. My neighbor sells pepridge farm cookies. I told him the economy must be killing him. He said, just the opposite. People load up on his cookies and stay home to watch TV. The same applies to the hunt. The economy is hitting most hard so they scrimp and save to treat themselves to this hunt them hibernate somemore. its almost like cabin fever, you can only stay in there so long. Frank
PS The oil companies really controll the price. How? by selling our Alaska oil to Japan and then Importing foreign oil. They love that high price, it ups their bottom line.

Smcdmc. I charge a very reasonable price. My last work a fresco, that is a painting on wet plaster, took a week to complete and I sold it for $200.
My conservation work is reasonable also. I restore historic items to arrested decay statis like the ax head or to near new statis. It takes a week to conserve and mount them. I charge $100 for work up to one foot or multiples on a one foot weathered oak plank. The ax is on black walnut.
The fee includes conservation work on the item and mounting on the plank. the only extra is shipping and packing which is a flat $15. Frank

Attachments

• ax300.jpg
    ax300.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 797
  • ax300.jpg
    ax300.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 799

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
PS The oil companies really controll the price. How? by selling our Alaska oil to Japan and then Importing foreign oil. They love that high price, it ups their bottom line.

There is also the oil speculators but who is counting.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

BTW I like your Ax Head display.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread