Relic hunting idea

MercMan

Sep 15, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II
Frankn said:
I don't like to overpay for things. To me things have a certain value, that is what you get for what you pay. I am not blinded by hype in advertisement like some people are and I don't like to see them taken advantage of either, so I kind of take a mequis curio attitude. Yea my Latin is bad. It means "friend of the court". It is someone that is not on the defendants or prosecution side, but merely presents facts to help with the case. Frank

But what you think is a fair price and what someone else thinks is a fair price is two totally different things. So the facts(really opinion) you are presenting is only valid from your point of view. To you the hunt was not worth the $200 advertised price.(we get that) To someone else it was and that someone was not being taken advantage of by the promoter or anyone else.

Let it go. We understand you would not have paid $200 to hunt the property but 125 people were willing to pay the price.
Some very rare items were uncovered and there are plenty of finds being posted on other sites. I am sure those folks feel it was well worth their time and money.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Frankn said:
Seamuss, You are probably right in your opinion, but I have this problem. I don't like to overpay for things. To me things have a certain value, that is what you get for what you pay. I am not blinded by hype in advertisement like some people are and I don't like to see them taken advantage of either, so I kind of take a mequis curio attitude. Yea my Latin is bad. It means "friend of the court". It is someone that is not on the defendants or prosecution side, but merely presents facts to help with the case. Frank
Dido. Your statement is in line of what I was saying. To much hype and advertisement for the returns. And the fun went by the way side as a results.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I attended the Relic Rescue hunt and I had a great time. I don't know where people think it cost $30,000. The cost was only $200 to hunt three full days at a great site. I hunted a Confederate camp all three days and I found my best ever relic and saw many other rare finds. I dug a rare Confederate Script "I" button with the C S on it. Scripted "I" buttons are not uncommon but to find one with the C S on it is very rare. I also found a Confederate sword scabbard mount with the ring. Again hard to find with the ring. I also saw a very nice regiment badge and the holy grail of relics was the Kearney Cross. Only about 400 were ever made and very few have been found. I was the first person he showed it to when he found it and my mouth just fell to the ground when I seen it. There were more buttons found than bullets I believe. Some of those were Virginia, North Carolina, New York, Mississippi "I" and tons of General Service eagle buttons. And a very nice CS tongue buckle with wreath. I would highly recommend anyone attending one of these hunts. I can't afford to attend all they have to offer but will attend all that I have the money to attend. Again this was a great hunt and I will be going back to this hunt as well as the DIV hunts.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm adding one of these type of hunts to my bucket list...it is not the money but the time that is my problem.

Glad to hear that the hunt was a success for you.
NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread