OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Hay you guys & gals, I will be waiting to see what that $200 bought you, and if it's really good you have three choices. Throw it in your collection box, try to fix it up yourself or blow another $115 for a quality conserve job and mounting so you can enjoy it all year long plus get a bit of bragging in now and then. It can be mounted to sit on the table or hang on the wall or both. Frank

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
Hay you guys & gals, I will be waiting to see what that $200 bought you, and if it's really good you have three choices. Throw it in your collection box, try to fix it up yourself or blow another $115 for a quality conserve job and mounting so you can enjoy it all year long plus get a bit of bragging in now and then. It can be mounted to sit on the table or hang on the wall or both. Frank

Now thats the spirit...I hope some people take you up on your offer.

NJ

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
That's a standing offer for anything found at this hunt with the possible exception of a cannon or extra postage for something like a cannonball. That offer is for one or more items mounted on a plank up to one foot long. Frank

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
well, did anybody find anything the first day? Did you get a rebate for the snow day? Frank

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Looks like you guys made the most of a bad situation. Frank

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well the hunt is over. Lets see what you you guys got for your $30,000. I have only seen 3 3ring bullets so far. Frank

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Well the hunt is over. Lets see what you you guys got for your $30,000. I have only seen 3 3ring bullets so far. Frank

They got to go out and detect an area that was guaranteed to be free of Frankn for two whole days. If that's not worth the price paid, I don't know what is!

spear85

Apr 23, 2011
Frankn, i respect your opinion. Afterall as they always say, everyone is entitled to one. I just dont understand why the need to make a thread about it. I feel like for those who dont like the "appeal" of a paid hunt and choose not to go... thats fine im not going to knock them for it or start a thread about it. So why rub it in hunters faces when they do decide to go and it doesnt pan out? Kinda looks like u are just itching to see failure and to be able to say "HA...told you so" when u just keep making comments there towards the end.

Myself, i have been going to the DIV events for quite a while. Next weekend will be i believe my 10th one. Yeah, all in all when u add up all of those entry fees i have paid and hotel fees it IS a lot of money but its a choice i make and would do it all over again every single time. Its a great time to meet up with friends and make some new ones at the same time. I have gotten to know quite a few good people through these hunts. As far as finds go for me, i have found a decent amount of relics on each hunt. Also, dug my first bottles, first artillery shell, unique finds etc. Finds are an added bonus on these hunts, the hunt itself is a blast and not to mention most of these sites are some very nice pieces of property with LOTS of history that without the paid hunt you would not touch the place. Do i pay the entry fee just to see friends...not exactly...like i said its the friends and the hunting all wrapped in one that make it great. Do i care whether i find my entry fee's worth of relics or not?? Nope.

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spear85 said:
Frankn, i respect your opinion. Afterall as they always say, everyone is entitled to one. I just dont understand why the need to make a thread about it. I feel like for those who dont like the "appeal" of a paid hunt and choose not to go... thats fine im not going to knock them for it or start a thread about it. So why rub it in hunters faces when they do decide to go and it doesnt pan out? Kinda looks like u are just itching to see failure and to be able to say "HA...told you so" when u just keep making comments there towards the end.

Myself, i have been going to the DIV events for quite a while. Next weekend will be i believe my 10th one. Yeah, all in all when u add up all of those entry fees i have paid and hotel fees it IS a lot of money but its a choice i make and would do it all over again every single time. Its a great time to meet up with friends and make some new ones at the same time. I have gotten to know quite a few good people through these hunts. As far as finds go for me, i have found a decent amount of relics on each hunt. Also, dug my first bottles, first artillery shell, unique finds etc. Finds are an added bonus on these hunts, the hunt itself is a blast and not to mention most of these sites are some very nice pieces of property with LOTS of history that without the paid hunt you would not touch the place. Do i pay the entry fee just to see friends...not exactly...like i said its the friends and the hunting all wrapped in one that make it great. Do i care whether i find my entry fee's worth of relics or not?? Nope.

have you never told someone not to eat somewhere or gave your opinion on a type of service? Have you not ever been taken advantage of only to find out you wish you would have been warned? Well, there are several people who are not exactly happy with the hunt ( value aside) and frankn was just giving an opinion of fair warning. We have the ability to create our own reviews on a vast variety of things, and this is where plenty of people look to before buying/doing something. If we didn't collectively come together with our own opinions this world would be a million times worse than it is... and honestly don't sit there like you have NEVER used the term, I TOLD YOU SO...because everyone, at one point or another, has said it.

spear85

Apr 23, 2011
HuntNdig said:
spear85 said:

have you never told someone not to eat somewhere or gave your opinion on a type of service? Have you not ever been taken advantage of only to find out you wish you would have been warned? Well, there are several people who are not exactly happy with the hunt ( value aside) and frankn was just giving an opinion of fair warning. We have the ability to create our own reviews on a vast variety of things, and this is where plenty of people look to before buying/doing something. If we didn't collectively come together with our own opinions this world would be a million times worse than it is...
As someone who is known by friends to be "the reviewer" lol i can say yes you have a vaild point. I do always like to know what i am putting my money into before doing so, and the good ol' web is my go-to place. At first glance, i did not look at his thread like he was giving a "fair warning". I more of looked at it like he just plain doesnt like the principle of paid hunts and what they are all about, so he felt the need to just openly bash them. So, if he was just throwing out a fair warning about this particular hunt that people are not happy about now...then im probably in the wrong for commenting on it. But, i just wanted to state my opinion on paid hunts in general. If you choose the right hunt than all could be well if you put in the honest effort on the hunt.

So yeah HuntnDig, u are right about the reviewing aspect of it. I didnt view it that way so i will own up to putting it in my own light and rolling with it.

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spear85 said:
HuntNdig said:
spear85 said:

have you never told someone not to eat somewhere or gave your opinion on a type of service? Have you not ever been taken advantage of only to find out you wish you would have been warned? Well, there are several people who are not exactly happy with the hunt ( value aside) and frankn was just giving an opinion of fair warning. We have the ability to create our own reviews on a vast variety of things, and this is where plenty of people look to before buying/doing something. If we didn't collectively come together with our own opinions this world would be a million times worse than it is...
As someone who is known by friends to be "the reviewer" lol i can say yes you have a vaild point. I do always like to know what i am putting my money into before doing so, and the good ol' web is my go-to place. At first glance, i did not look at his thread like he was giving a "fair warning". I more of looked at it like he just plain doesnt like the principle of paid hunts and what they are all about, so he felt the need to just openly bash them. So, if he was just throwing out a fair warning about this particular hunt that people are not happy about now...then im probably in the wrong for commenting on it. But, i just wanted to state my opinion on paid hunts in general. If you choose the right hunt than all could be well if you put in the honest effort on the hunt.

So yeah HuntnDig, u are right about the reviewing aspect of it. I didnt view it that way so i will own up to putting it in my own light and rolling with it.

all is well, i hope i didn't sounds harsh or negative because that was not my intent, and i don't think frankn had intent to bash or be malicious towards anyone as well. I can be quick to the draw sometimes as well, but thats why we are all here, to help eachother out!

spear85

Apr 23, 2011
HuntNdig said:
spear85 said:
HuntNdig said:
spear85 said:

all is well, i hope i didn't sounds harsh or negative because that was not my intent, and i don't think frankn had intent to bash or be malicious towards anyone as well. I can be quick to the draw sometimes as well, but thats why we are all here, to help eachother out!

Good here, u didnt come off harsh at all man. Just a good ol' honest chit chat lol. take care

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HuntNdig said:
spear85 said:

have you never told someone not to eat somewhere or gave your opinion on a type of service? Have you not ever been taken advantage of only to find out you wish you would have been warned? Well, there are several people who are not exactly happy with the hunt ( value aside) and frankn was just giving an opinion of fair warning. We have the ability to create our own reviews on a vast variety of things, and this is where plenty of people look to before buying/doing something. If we didn't collectively come together with our own opinions this world would be a million times worse than it is... and honestly don't sit there like you have NEVER used the term, I TOLD YOU SO...because everyone, at one point or another, has said it.

I agree with you but I don't expect someone to tell me not to eat somewhere that they never ate before. If you have a bad experience at one restaurant it does not make all of them bad. If Frankn had attended a hunt these promoters had run before and had a bad experience by all means tell us and give us a valid review. If you don't like paid hunt then state that but how can he say it is not worth the $200 by just reading the original post. I did ask at one point if there was anything he was not telling us. I thought maybe he had a reason behind his opinion but nothing was ever mentioned that backed up his opinion/review.

I've run paid seeded hunts in the past. The entire entry fee is put right back into the ground. So if we take in $10,000 then $10,000 of gold and silver is put into the ground. Where the group would make their money is on the raffles...we would raffle off donated items and that would be the profit for the club. At the end of the hunt some people found their share, some found more and some found less but I think almost everyone walked away very happy. With that being said I personally don't like seeded hunts...I've tried them and the fact that they are seeded doesn't get me excited. I would rather do a hunt that I have no idea what I can potentially find then one that I know I will find old coins because someone placed them there for me to find.

I would never bash a seeded hunt just because it is not for me. Lots of people really enjoy them so the entry fee is worth every penny to them.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be allowed to post their opinion but when their opinion turns into an out right attack or speculation then I have a problem with it. If this hunt turns out that it was run poorly and really not worth the money then lets hear it from the people that were actually there and experienced it. Then if these promoters run another hunt those people can post their experiences from the past hunt. Lets not try to guess what will happen or did happen....lets stick to facts.

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion....happy hunting everyone.

NJ

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTW - I really like Frankn's new attitude and I hope he gets some business creating his wonderful relic displays and if there were any wonderful relics found I too would love to see them. If the weather caused problems that is one thing that even the promoters can't control and I know that from past experience.

spear85

Apr 23, 2011
N.J.THer said:
HuntNdig said:
spear85 said:

I agree with you but I don't expect someone to tell me not to eat somewhere that they never ate before. If you have a bad experience at one restaurant it does not make all of them bad. If Frankn had attended a hunt these promoters had run before and had a bad experience by all means tell us and give us a valid review. If you don't like paid hunt then state that but how can he say it is not worth the $200 by just reading the original post. I did ask at one point if there was anything he was not telling us. I thought maybe he had a reason behind his opinion but nothing was ever mentioned that backed up his opinion/review.

I've run paid seeded hunts in the past. The entire entry fee is put right back into the ground. So if we take in $10,000 then $10,000 of gold and silver is put into the ground. Where the group would make their money is on the raffles...we would raffle off donated items and that would be the profit for the club. At the end of the hunt some people found their share, some found more and some found less but I think almost everyone walked away very happy. With that being said I personally don't like seeded hunts...I've tried them and the fact that they are seeded doesn't get me excited. I would rather do a hunt that I have no idea what I can potentially find then one that I know I will find old coins because someone placed them there for me to find.

I would never bash a seeded hunt just because it is not for me. Lots of people really enjoy them so the entry fee is worth every penny to them.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be allowed to post their opinion but when their opinion turns into an out right attack or speculation then I have a problem with it. If this hunt turns out that it was run poorly and really not worth the money then lets hear it from the people that were actually there and experienced it. Then if these promoters run another hunt those people can post their experiences from the past hunt. Lets not try to guess what will happen or did happen....lets stick to facts.

NJ

NJTher, when you said " opinion turns into an outright attack or speculation then i have a problem with it" was that aimed at me? I just want to clarify that in no way was attacking anyone, just AT FIRST i did not understand why the specific thread about paid hunts in general....at least thats what i was thinking it was. Turns out Frank may have been just warning folks about this one particular hunt, im not sure. And yup i agree, nothing wrong with someone posting a review of a particular hunt/hunt organizer.

With all opinions you have to take them with a grain of salt because you are hearing just ONE side of the story. You also have to ask, just how hard did the person dig? On a few occasions on paid hunts(that were actually great hunts in rare finds and total finds), i have ran across the same person each 3 days of a hunt. Why do i bring that up? Because every time i would see the person they would be standing around complaining to other folks and not doing much digging. You look at the display cases at end of hunt and there are tons of nice relics to look at....yet there will be the people who are on the side saying it was an awful hunt. Compare it to fishing, how are you gonna catch a fish without a line in the water? To all people who went on this hunt that just happened and did not do well, i am not implying that you did not give an honest effort so please do not look at my words in that way. Just saying that SOMETIMES you do have people like that at hunts and they feel obligated to post a thread about it online about how bad the hunt was.

As for that hunt, i have actually heard of some nice stuff(buttons,bottles etc) that came out of there. I just saw a picture today of a beautiful Kearny Cross that was dug there...those are extremely rare. I think something like less than 400 of them were ever issued to soldiers. This is not saying the hunt was "good", but it does show that there were SOME nice finds there.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
spear85 said:
N.J.THer said:
HuntNdig said:
spear85 said:

NJ

NJTher, when you said " opinion turns into an outright attack or speculation then i have a problem with it" was that aimed at me? I just want to clarify that in no way was attacking anyone, just AT FIRST i did not understand why the specific thread about paid hunts in general....at least thats what i was thinking it was. Turns out Frank may have been just warning folks about this one particular hunt, im not sure. And yup i agree, nothing wrong with someone posting a review of a particular hunt/hunt organizer.

With all opinions you have to take them with a grain of salt because you are hearing just ONE side of the story. You also have to ask, just how hard did the person dig? On a few occasions on paid hunts(that were actually great hunts in rare finds and total finds), i have ran across the same person each 3 days of a hunt. Why do i bring that up? Because every time i would see the person they would be standing around complaining to other folks and not doing much digging. You look at the display cases at end of hunt and there are tons of nice relics to look at....yet there will be the people who are on the side saying it was an awful hunt. Compare it to fishing, how are you gonna catch a fish without a line in the water? To all people who went on this hunt that just happened and did not do well, i am not implying that you did not give an honest effort so please do not look at my words in that way. Just saying that SOMETIMES you do have people like that at hunts and they feel obligated to post a thread about it online about how bad the hunt was.

As for that hunt, i have actually heard of some nice stuff(buttons,bottles etc) that came out of there. I just saw a picture today of a beautiful Kearny Cross that was dug there...those are extremely rare. I think something like less than 400 of them were ever issued to soldiers. This is not saying the hunt was "good", but it does show that there were SOME nice finds there.

Spear85,
No it was not directed at you...I just felt that Frankn's original opinion could have been posted differently and less abrasive. This has really become a dead horse so I don't want to keep beating it.

We are starting to see some of the hunt finds posted so we know some of the good stuff was there. Don't know if everyone left happy but it is hard to make that many people happy all at once. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves.
NJ

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, I have heard a lot of Civil War hunters say they can't find sites. I was wondering how this could be since every site is plainly documented. All you have to do is go to the library and look in War Of The Rebellion, Records Of Union And Confederate Armies. There all there, all 158 volumes. I think they are listed by state. Invest the time, not your money in finding in locating a good site and bringing home the relics. The majority of the sites probably have never been touched. Go get them and enjoy it. Frank

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I recently went on a couple planted hunts and was discouraged by my finds. Instead of voicing my bad opinion of the cost for the out come, I quietly choice the idea that paid hunts just isn't for me.
Super bowl tickets are an expense memory to me and a costly meal will fill me up for a while but a walk in the park with a burger and fries after it's over will satisfy me just fine. I think the fee for a planted hunt was a good lesson in life for me to continue going down the road to the park with a couple MDing buddies and a quick show and tell later over lunch and figure...life is to short for me to get stressed over things like fee hunts.

Just a different philosophy in my golden years.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Seamuss, You are probably right in your opinion, but I have this problem. I don't like to overpay for things. To me things have a certain value, that is what you get for what you pay. I am not blinded by hype in advertisement like some people are and I don't like to see them taken advantage of either, so I kind of take a mequis curio attitude. Yea my Latin is bad. It means "friend of the court". It is someone that is not on the defendants or prosecution side, but merely presents facts to help with the case. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread