Relic hunting idea

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
First let me say that the relic hunt is a great idea. I go along with that all the way, But I think the price is equivalent to highway robbery. $200 dollars in these hard times is out of line. And the way it is being handled with two ads , not notices but ads where only comments in favor are allowed and comments that state opposing comments are removed just because they don't follow the advertising line of Hipe. I have posted comments about GPAA outings that I have gone on that cost me $175 for 5 days of detecting and other forms of prospection. The fee also included a closing dinner, MH parking site and a MD planted hunt with many prizes. This comment was removed from the hunt post at the request of the poster who also sent me a PM requesting that I stay off of his post. I always thought this form was set up to express personal opinions not to benefit those who use it to make money at our expence. Just my thoughts and I hope the Mods allow enough leeway so that other opinions can be expressed.
Thoughts from Frank

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Super Bowl tickets are to expensive. But obviously those that have a passion for it don't because I'm pretty sure there aren't many empty seats. If it's to expensive for you then find one cheaper, but why trash something publicly that many other people think is a good idea. Not everyone will agree, but many will. So if you don't agree just move along, and no I am not promoting this nor am I attending.

Shane

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smcdmc said:
I think Super Bowl tickets are to expensive. But obviously those that have a passion for it don't because I'm pretty sure there aren't many empty seats. If it's to expensive for you then find one cheaper, but why trash something publicly that many other people think is a good idea. Not everyone will agree, but many will. So if you don't agree just move along, and no I am not promoting this nor am I attending.

Shane

that is hardly a good analogy....Super Bowls are VERY expensive to hold, i don't think it cost thousands of dollars to let folks metal detect on a piece of land for 2 days. Just my two cents. I could understand if they were hosting meals and providing lodging and such, but $200 just to do what we already do anyways, it is a little ridiculous.

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HuntNdig said:
smcdmc said:

Shane

that is hardly a good analogy....Super Bowls are VERY expensive to hold, i don't think it cost thousands of dollars to let folks metal detect on a piece of land for 2 days. Just my two cents. I could understand if they were hosting meals and providing lodging and such, but $200 just to do what we already do anyways, it is a little ridiculous.

You may be right on the analogy, but a good portion of the extra expense comes from the multi million dollar super bowl ads we all look forward to seeing every year. If you live in the area and have access to the same type of sites then it may be to expensive for you, but for someone who lives somewhere that does not have access to these type of sites or finds I don't think it sounds that bad.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I personally only like sports that I participate in. I get no thrill from watching others play games especially when they are over payed. I also get no thrill from paying for something I can get for free. The hype factor just doesn't affect me. I am to much of a realist. I like to help others when I can and hate to see other people taken advantage of especially because of hype. I am sure many others on here like to see both sides of a story or idea after all, we have to search for the truth to find anything in treasure hunting. Just my view, Frank

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with not having access to an area like that is just the problem. I would not want to pay several hundred dollars in travel expenses to pay another $200 to do a hunt, I personally wouldn't ever pay money to metal detect. ( like club hunts) the enjoyment for me comes from the hunt itself, digging planted targets isn't really rewarding because I know they are there.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not that anything I can say would change anyones mind, but here is how I see it... There are opportunities for folks who wish to go on a paid relic hunt, to go and dig Civil War relics in areas that they don't normally have access to, they pay money for two or three days worth of hunting. How is this different than paying your GPAA dues, then paying for your GPAA trip, working your butt off for five days in a communal effort and at the end of the week, you may, if you're lucky get a small vial of gold flakes that covers part of your expenses? There isn't any... It's all in what you choose to do with your time and money....

As for the paid relic hunts, there are expenses that have to be paid for to do this type thing. Most land owners in Civil War Virginia know what occurred on their land, and nearly all of them attempt to protect their land from the trespassing relic hunter. Because of tresspassers in the past, a lot of these landowners have a disdain for detectorists. It takes a lot of time and effort to get some landowners to open up enough to ask permission. The "local" relic hunters have taken the initiative to research locations, talk to landowners to gain their trust enough to allow this type of opportunity for others. The landowners (typically farmers) are paid to "lease" their land for the duration of the hunt. This is usually thousands of dollars. The landowner doesn't want any chance of a lawsuit if someone gets hurt, so the promoter has to carry liability insurance covering the participants. Have you priced up a million dollar liability policy lately??? A site survey has to be done to set boundaries, don't want any trespassing on adjoining land, that would be a public relations nightmare for the promoter and detectorists if that happened at the wrong place... Have to mark the boundaries with flags, tape, other markings. Have to bring in Port-O-Johns & trash cans for the participants. The promoters typically have medical and security staffs on site for the duration. The promoter also has to hold a prehunt meeting to get everyone organized and to set the rules and boundaries. Have you priced meeting halls or convention rooms at hotels? At these meetings literature regarding the site is handed out, so you have printing costs. A lot of times, they provide a few snacks and water bottles for participants, lunch is sometimes provided as well. All of this, plus more I'm sure is very costly. If the promoter, for all his time and hard work can pocket a small amount, then they deserve it for their efforts.

In my opinion, having the opportunity to go onto some of these sites, walk in the footprints of our forefathers and having the chance to recover some relics that otherwise I wouldn't have a chance to do, makes the money paid worth it. If I lived in that area, so rich in history, then perhaps I wouldn't do it, I'd attempt to make my own contacts and detect those lands....

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
DwightS, I don't quite think you understand GPAA. I am a life member so there are no dues. I only work the communal 2 days and get a cut of the finds. That means I have 3 days to detect on a real gold claim. I can hunt any of the thousands of Free claims plus There are paid claims that I get a discount to work. When I go to an outing, I usually work a couple of free claims afterwards so that travel expense is spread out. I can also stay on the claim in my MH at no cost.

As for the relic hunt, You have to sign a release prior to hunting so I imagine the insurance cost is minimal. It was stated that an unknown amount goes to charity. I wonder what % of the gate that is and I am sure that it is taken as a tax deduction. The prehunt meeting usually takes place there and eats into your hunt time. I didn't hear any mention of free food, did you. I wonder if overnight parking of Motor Homes is allowed. When it was first posted, there was no price given, just the hype. There are now two listings for it and any discourse is removed. That means they are posted ads which I thought were not allowed. Frank
I just noticed one of the ads has been taken down. Must have been excess advertising

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Frank - If you don't understand or want to go to these hunts then that is your decision. There is no reason to bash an event that is very successful and loved by everyone who attends. I love going to them and I do not mind paying to go hunt with a group of great people. Even if I was to not find a single item the experience of being there is wonderful. And Woodland made the post so others can have the option to go if they would like to. Yes I do find plenty of relics in my area but to have the chance to hunt a major battlefield that is on a site that you can only hunt by going to one of these events is well worth it. The DIV hunts are great and I wish everyone could attend but space is limited and fills up very quickly.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
treasurehound said:
I love going to them and I do not mind paying to go hunt with a group of great people. Even if I was to not find a single item the experience of being there is wonderful.......... Yes I do find plenty of relics in my area but to have the chance to hunt a major battlefield that is on a site that you can only hunt by going to one of these events is well worth it. The DIV hunts are great and I wish everyone could attend but space is limited and fills up very quickly.

SHHHHHH.... don't tell everyone... :laughing7: Its hard enough to get in on the initial selection as it is. You have 500 to 600 requests to attend and room for only 300 to 350, in my opinion that means something. (The organizers are doing it the right way) Everyone that attends has a great time. Egos are left at home, everyone looks out for everyone else, helping them out, helping them have a good time. XVII was my first one and I was getting skunked midway through day two (unless 30 lbs of farm iron counts). Someone asked how I was doing and we talked, he suggested a spot and I went and within 10 minutes I had three bullets. I bet if you met a typical detectorist (Not a DIV'er) in a more private setting such as that and ask, he'd stare, cuss under his breath and walk away.

I really hope the Relic Rescue hunts are successful and maybe one day I'll have a chance to attend one of them.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
DwightS, I guess it is jest your kind of thing and you are willing to pay the piper. I preferr to hunt alone or with a partner. I have always been a lone adventurer and not a groupie. I enjoy working with a partner but not a large group. When you work with a partner you work out your differences and live with it, but with a large group there are just to many butts to kiss. I guess I never was a follower. Now woodland looks like a promoter. I guess certain groups just need their goat to lead them. Frank

Hay Woodland, you told me you didn't want me on your post any more and I honored that and here you are on my post bragging about how well you did. But again I guess that shows what kind of guy you really are.

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So in other words, Frank, if it's not your "thing" then everybody else that feels differently is wrong. Just because you prefer to hunt alone or with a partner, those who like the occasional group hunt should be condemned? Wow. Pretty eye opening. Fortunately not everyone likes the group hunts or they would fill up to fast and a lot of people would be left out. But to trash talk something just because it's not your style is pretty small minded.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Frankn said:
Now woodland looks like a promoter. I guess certain groups just need their goat to lead them. Frank

Frank, you could only wish you knew me or Woodland...
But to anwer your assumtion, you do know assume means, correct? ASS/U/ME...
Woodland isn't a promoter, he is no different from me, he is a participant in these hunts. He's been an enthuiast and in detector sales longer than he's been participating in these hunts.
He and I, along with HUNDREDS of others enjoy getting together as an extended FAMILY with a common interest.

You can go on back out to your GPAA claims all by yourself. Have fun.
I'm done with you.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Nice soapbox Smcdnc, But I think you failed to read the opening post here. It states I think it was a good idea. My point was it is over priced. In the end everybody does there own thing. The likes and dislikes vary. I don't knock what other people do but I hate to see people taken advantage of. Granted Woodland is in it for the money, but to only allow one point of view on a post does not bode well with what T Net stands for. You notice I didn't get the mods to dump Woodland's post, but he got the mods to dump all of mine on his post. That's the differencs between us. Frank

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Frank, you may have set up your own "soapbox" by saying you think it was a good idea, but followed with it being highway robbery and " in a large group there are just to many butts to kiss." So clearly it is not your cup of tea. With that being the case is there a price at which you would enjoy participating in a large group hunt? Or would having to kiss so many butts still be what holds you back. Because after reading through your posts, if you would participate at a reduced cost kinda makes you sound like a hypocrite.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Smcdmc, You almost got a point there! Read Topic #7 above. I only spent 2 days in the communal project but 3 days detecting at my leasure. So that was the price I had to pay butt wise. lol The price I paid ,$175, was on Woody's post, but he had it deleted, nice guy! I also detected on a couple of other GPAA claims for a couple of weeks for free. GPAA is a big bargen to me, unlike Woody's hunt. Frank
I went on a relic hunt on a farm adjoining Antedam battle field for free. The farmer wouldn't even take some of the coffee can full on balls and bullets or relics that I offered. I guess times have changed during my 40 some years of detecting.

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
125.439037 British pounds how many days do you get do u get to keep finds

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
If I read that English correctly, you are talking about Woody's relic hunt. It cost $200US, for 2 hunt days and you keep all you find. Frank

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
OK you relic hunters, post pictures of your finds here. I am interested in what $30,000 will buy. If I don't see them I will assume you made a wooden contribution. Frank

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
First let me say that the relic hunt is a great idea. I go along with that all the way, But I think the price is equivalent to highway robbery. $200 dollars in these hard times is out of line. And the way it is being handled with two ads , not notices but ads where only comments in favor are allowed and comments that state opposing comments are removed just because they don't follow the advertising line of Hipe. I have posted comments about GPAA outings that I have gone on that cost me $175 for 5 days of detecting and other forms of prospection. The fee also included a closing dinner, MH parking site and a MD planted hunt with many prizes. This comment was removed from the hunt post at the request of the poster who also sent me a PM requesting that I stay off of his post. I always thought this form was set up to express personal opinions not to benefit those who use it to make money at our expence. Just my thoughts and I hope the Mods allow enough leeway so that other opinions can be expressed.
Thoughts from Frank

Its not ridiculous when people are finding relics out there worth $2000 to 8000 at EVERY SINGLE ONE and I'm not talking cumulative, I'm talking one single item worth that. I've attended almost every single DIV and I'm by no means a rich person, but I've found that every one was worth the small expense of $200

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread