pirate headstone in cemetary, photos added. - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: pirate headstone in cemetary, photos added.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2011
    Not too far from a beach
    521 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    wow...branded for eternity. However, I do want to point out, that until the Catholic Church banned them, I think in the 1830s, a crucifix with a skull and crossbones at the base was not uncommon. This is from a catholic forum:

I received a Crucifix from a friend and it has a skull and cross-bones at the bottom, just below the Corpus. Does anyone know why?
    There are two possible ways to interpret it:
    1.) The skull is a visual reminder of the place where Jesus was crucified, Golgotha (Skull Place). Based on an old tradition, the 'skull' would be that of Adam's.
    2.) The skull and crossbones are symbols of death; showing them under Jesus' feet is a symbol of Christ conquering Death by His death.

The device is actually quite an old one. You can note that in many artworks depicting the Crucifixion you would notice a human skull, and perhaps some bones, at the foot of Jesus' cross, either at the ground or on a cavity below.

So, the skull and crossbones may represent faith in the resurrection. That begs the question, however, why it would be only on those 3 headstones, why there are no names on those stones, why they are together, and why it doesn't appear commonly on old headstones (I'm assuming it doesn't, though I'm not positive it doesn't).

I like the idea that they were pirates, which is the simplest explanation. It seems odd that they would be executed years later after peaceful lives as farmers, but after all, even today, there is no statue of limitation for murder.
    Last edited by scaupus; May 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM.

us
    May 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    Fisher F75 "Limited" CAMO - Fisher F5 (with Standard Coil) - Fisher F2 (10" coil) - & a Radio Shack "Treasure Finder" Metal Detector!
    4 times
    Most likely a masonic cross. For the 322nd.

Name:  250px-Bones_logo.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  19.1 KB

But just a guess.
    Last edited by F2 Hunter 28146; May 24, 2013 at 08:12 PM.

us
    May 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    Fisher F75 "Limited" CAMO - Fisher F5 (with Standard Coil) - Fisher F2 (10" coil) - & a Radio Shack "Treasure Finder" Metal Detector!
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mical66 View Post
    if you look at the Ancestory.com article that was posted you will see it is dated 1972 , and the Legend is it was pirates, no where does it ever say nor any article that there is proof they are pirates .
    every article says plainly some believe and some do not , that they are pirates . some of the graves are from the 1700. that is a long time for rumors and legends to grow. when they find town records at the courthouse saying 3 pirates were found and hung then i will believe it.
    until then i can see several options that other posters have pointed out that are very good options.

The article that came directly from the Church that sits next to the graveyard that says they are Pirate graves..... maybe!

us
    May 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by F2 Hunter 28146 View Post
    10. Three PIRATE stones. Tradition tells of three pirates who escaped on
    the coast and made their way inland, settling in Rowan County where they
    became farmers. They were later recognized, convicted and executed and
    their burial in the cemetery was permitted only if the skull and
    crossbones, or just the crossbones were used on their gravestones.

The foregoing is taken from the descriptive pamphlet available at the church. <-----
    THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ comes directly from the Thyatira Church!

The church that sits next to the graveyard state they are Pirates. No Diseased Lepers, No Puritans, Not even Smurfs, are mentioned in the Pamphlet that the church hands out. =)
    lastleg likes this.

us
    President of BCDC detecting club in PA

Aug 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Earth
    V3i, Etrac, AT Pro, F2, T2, Xterra 705
    212 times
    Metal Detecting
    Edward Teach and his 2 main henchmen?

us
    Zodiacdiverdave

Mar 2011
    The North Atlantic Ocean
    XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
    1368 times
    I say..... dig um up and see what's inside.
    ZDD
    Living the dream

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    3948 times
    If those are "pirate" headstones then there must have been thousands and thousands of "pirates" buried across the whole east coast!! Come on people, conjecture is useless, and legends are just legends. These headstones are common at all early cemeteries and they had nothing to do with pirates or masons or catholics, it was simply the style of the time. I have seen hundreds of these style of markers, and in areas where there was little catholic settlement and some where the family geneology has been traced and there were no masons in the family. It was merely a style!!
    Jason in Enid and mical66 like this.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

us
    May 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    4 times
    You make a nice point, Gunsil. Except for one thing..... the actual church where these gravestones are located state these were indeed identified Pirates and they were executed for their crimes for being Pirates.

us
    Jan 2013
    seeing eye shovel
    1450 times

They are Memento Mori.

us
    Jan 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Garrett AT Pro Whites V3i
    83 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    As others have pointed out, skulls or skull and bones were at one time used very commonly to represent mortality on all sorts of carvings including tombstones.

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    3948 times
    Quote Originally Posted by F2 Hunter 28146 View Post
    You make a nice point, Gunsil. Except for one thing..... the actual church where these gravestones are located state these were indeed identified Pirates and they were executed for their crimes for being Pirates.
    If that is so let's see some documentation from the church!! I doubt they have any and I doubt they know what they're talking about if they say they were pirate graves without documentation. Just because they are a church doesn't mean they aren't just repeating a legend without proof. Does the church still have all the records of burials?? Let's see the proof!! Pastors and priests are not often scholars, and most are certainly not experts on pirates. There were very few actual sea pirates executed here in the U.S. The golden age of piracy was over before the American Revolution, and most pirates that were captured by the English were returned to England for punishment. Most executed pirates were interred in unmarked graves since nobody wanted to have then remembered. As you have seen from other posters there are many graves that are similar to those you posted and they have no relationship to pirates. It is more likely that someone in your area thought the headstones looked like the movie version of a pirate flag and assumed they were related. One person tells a child that those were pirate graves, and years later the rumor turns to legend. I think perhaps nothing will change your opinion, no amount of fact will sway your ideology. Like I said earlier conjecture is useless, facts are facts, and truth is truth. Some folks would rather believe in a legend than listen to facts and that is their prerogative, but it doesn't change the facts or truth.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

us
    Feb 2012
    721 times
    That is one badA$# tombstone

Jul 2012
    Greeneville , TN
    222 times
    just because the church says it , does not make it fact.
    we have a church here locally that has a cannon ball in the brick right above the outside light to the right of the main entrance and there is 1 brick missing where this cannon ball is sitting buried inside the wall . they say it was from the civil war and was shot into the wall.
    they swear it is the way it was found in 1860's.
    i find that hard to believe that a cannon ball would lodge perfectly into the wall busting the 1 brick it hit and damaging no others .
    again , i think it is a story to add character . do i believe the ball hit the church ? yes . do i believe it lodged then the way we see it now . no. its all for drama .
    stories tend to change over time so id say its safe to say whoever knew what happend died hundreds of years ago , and shortly after that time some one said they " look " like pirate headstones and it stuck for lack of no one knowing.

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Falcon MD20, Garrett pinpointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
    8705 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Beaufort, NC also has a cemetary that dates back to the 1700's I think. I was at the B. NC cemetary and one of the graves reportedly contains a British officer on horseback, I believe. (edit On the street to the west of the graveyard is one of those roadside plaques that call it The Burying Ground. TTC
    Last edited by TerryC; May 29, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
    The Devil whispered in my ear, "You are weak and will not weather the storm". I whispered in the Devil's ear, "I am the storm".

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Falcon MD20, Garrett pinpointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
    8705 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by mical66 View Post
    just because the church says it , does not make it fact.
    we have a church here locally that has a cannon ball in the brick right above the outside light to the right of the main entrance and there is 1 brick missing where this cannon ball is sitting buried inside the wall . they say it was from the civil war and was shot into the wall.
    they swear it is the way it was found in 1860's.
    i find that hard to believe that a cannon ball would lodge perfectly into the wall busting the 1 brick it hit and damaging no others .
    again , i think it is a story to add character . do i believe the ball hit the church ? yes . do i believe it lodged then the way we see it now . no. its all for drama .
    stories tend to change over time so id say its safe to say whoever knew what happend died hundreds of years ago , and shortly after that time some one said they " look " like pirate headstones and it stuck for lack of no one knowing.
    I believe the church story. Halifax, NC has a wall with a cannonball stuck in it. When Corwallis surrendered, the state of NC had not yet heard the latest news. Gen C had to fight his way through NC after already giving up. That's when the ball got stuck in the wall on the south end of town. TTC
    The Devil whispered in my ear, "You are weak and will not weather the storm". I whispered in the Devil's ear, "I am the storm".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links