Help with excalibur discriminating in trashy beaches

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I met a guy over the weekend who was using a excalibur II, He said he's been detecting for 25years. He had his set to 1. He dug everything. This was at Venice Beach, FL. It's a pretty trashy beach, lots of beer cans, bottle caps, fish hooks, sinkers...

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're really serious about picking up gold and jewelry, forget about discrimination and dig everything.
luvsdux

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
As above...mine's set on "1", and never moves! Trash is all part of the game. Start discriminating things out and you WILL miss some good stuff too. Not worth it in the long run. :wink:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
All info above is good, Dig all, then call your targets before you dig them, if your hunting in either PP or discriminate. One thing about the excal, it talks, you just have to learn what it is saying. And that will come with experance. Then you will be able to spend less time digging coins & trash and more time digging Gold/jewelery. Do I miss Gold, No...................but I do miss alot of silver..., unless it has shape to it, then I can distinguish the differance.............

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, there is no easy method to get gold, if you descriminate out something, your also descriminating out some gold..... I would rather dig a 100 extra pulltabs, then descriminate out a single gold and diamond ring.... My descrimination never goes above 1, and there is no setting below 1....LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions