ICAHM Protests Television Programs That Encourage Destruction of Heritage

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
An open letter from the ICOMOS Scientific Committee on Archaeological Heritage Management
(ICAHM) to Spike TV and the National Geographic Channel

ICAHM Protests Television Programs That Encourage Destruction of Archaeological Heritage

The ICOMOS International Scientific Committee on Archaeological Heritage Management (ICAHM) joins with the Society for American Archaeology (SAA), the Register of Professional Archaeologists (RPA), and other organizations that represent the concerns of professional archaeologists in expressing our dismay and deep concern at the airing of television programs that will encourage destruction of our common archaeological heritage. We call upon the two channels, Spike TV and the National Geographic Channel, to stop broadcasting these programs, which celebrate and in that way encourage looting artifacts from battlefields and historic sites.

Spike TV has scheduled a premier of the series “American Digger” on March 21, 2012. It is to be hosted by “former professional wrestler-turned modern day relic hunter” Ric Savage. They are to “scour target-rich areas, such as battlefields and historic sites, in hopes of striking it rich by unearthing and selling rare pieces of American history.” The mention of battlefields and historic sites is enormously alarming, because the exact locations at which artifacts are found are crucial to understanding what really transpired at such sites. Among the examples of how the use of archaeological protocols can greatly enrich our understanding of pivotal moments in history can be seen in Doug Scott’s work at the Little Bighorn Battlefield, which was used to rewrite the history of that battle.

When archaeologists encounter human remains they adhere strictly to laws and protocols that govern treatment of them. Finding human remains is not uncommon at battlefields; they are still being found at Gettysburg today. Disturbing these remains in the pursuit of profit would, we think, strike many as a form of desecration. Not all battlefields are within protected areas such as National Parks, and so the remains of soldiers might easily be encountered by treasure hunters. So might the remains of Native Americans, and most Native Americans would consider disturbance to be sacrilege. Archaeologists are bound by ethical standards and aware of laws that ensure respectful treatment of remains, while the same can not be said of treasure hunters.

The National Geographic Channel aired the first of two pilots for a treasure hunting series of their own, “Diggers,” on February 28, 2012. The President of the Society for American Archaeology, Prof. Fred Limp, had written to National Geographic beforehand expressing concern that the program might encourage treasure hunting at historic sites. Unabashed, the National Geographic Executive Vice President for Communications expressed surprise in a letter to Prof. Limp that “an organization such as yours, with whom we’ve had a long constructive relationship, as you yourself acknowledge, would assume the worst about a project with which we are involved without anyone actually having seen it.” Surely, however, there was ample cause for great concern before the program was aired. The title of the National Geographic show is suspiciously similar to that of the Spike TV program, which clearly glorifies looting of battlefields and historic sites.

Further, the promotional material echoes the same unrealistic promise of wealth gained from the sale of excavated historic objects: ATC's [Anaconda Treasure.com] awesome and bizarre metal detecting videos, designed as much for entertainment as for learning. You can't stop the insanity. You can only hope to contain it. Now you can catch KG and Ringy on the new treasure hunting show DIGGERS, premiering on the National Geographic Channel Feb 28, 2012 with back to back episodes of crazed searches for gold, silver, coins, relics, and other delicious, lick-worthy pockets of nectar in the trademark tradition and style of Team ATC….Watch KG, Ringy, & Team ATC dig targets and lick coins and things.

In light of the unreceptive response from National Geographic to Prof. Limp’s very diplomatically worded letter, ICAHM assembled a small group to watch the November 28 showing of “Diggers.” What the groups saw was as disturbing as the promotional material suggested that it might be. Metal detectors were used to scour both battlefields and historic sites. No attempt was made to record what was found and where. Instead, KG and Ringy wagered among themselves as to which would realize the most profit from what was found at the various sites visited. Cartridge casings were worth about a dollar, a 1943 penny fetched the unexpectedly high price of $40 because the date held some special significance for an antique shop owner, and so on. When totals were tallied, the loser was compelled to undergo some form of degradation. In one case, this was riding a bike while wearing a dress into a cold lake, in another, licking a jellyfish.

At the end of the program, a brief disclaimer flashed across the screen advising viewers that collecting artifacts was subject to a variety of laws. And indeed it is. A variety of local, state, and federal laws are in place that typically forbid metal detecting on public lands unless done under the supervision of an archaeologist. Where private lands are concerned, applicable laws would include those regarding trespass and theft. Such laws are difficult to enforce, however, and already are commonly ignored. Ironically, rampant looting of archaeological and historic sites more than 100 years ago lead to the first federal law that provided the basis of the regulating these activities, the Antiquities Act of 1906. Encouraging looting through popular culture media constitutes a step backwards.

ICAHM has begun preliminary inquiries into the industry that produces documentaries. Given the hundreds of television channels available to the viewer, there is intense competition among them for viewership. Thus the popularity of a program on one channel, for example the Discovery Channel, spawns similar shows on all the others, such at National Geographic Channel and the History Channel. Examples in the past include spates of shows that showcased dangerous occupations and exceptionally large game, and emerging trends are programs about survivalists. The target demographic for television documentaries has evolved to be young men from about 18 to 35 years of age. Unfortunately, this is a demographic that might not merely watch programs about treasure hunting, but actually engage in this activity. If looting programs on Spike TV and the National Geographic channel prove to be popular, is it not unlikely that we will see more of them on other channels, establishing a real fad for looting.

One can only assume that archaeologists affiliated with National Geographic had no influence over programming decisions by the National Geographic Channel. We encourage National Geographic, which has adopted the tag line “inspiring people to care about the planet since 1888,” not to squander the respect and so the influence that they have carefully built over many years for short term gain, but instead to use it as they have in the past to help preserve the natural and cultural heritage of the world. We ask not only that National Geographic abandon plans to broadcast future “Diggers,” but that they draw upon the expertise of the archaeologists and scientists on their staff when making programming decisions in the future.

ICAHM encourages you to participate in the protest by going to the sites accessible through the following links and signing the petitions there:

http://www.change.org/petitions/nat...iccom-stop-airing-the-television-show-diggers

http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-spike-tv-from-looting-our-collective-past

Douglas C. Comer, Ph.D., RPA
Prof. Dr. Willem J.H. Willems
Co-Presidents, ICAHM

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That's what I thought when I saw that show. Stand by, we are about to be screwed. I wouldn't be a bit surprised it they didn't try to apply the "eminent domain" to private land. After all, they, the archies, sure figure what they do is for the public good, and who would have ever thought they would force sale of private property only to be turned over to another private party because that developer might pay more money in taxes. Every thing we did as a family when I was a teenager and younger, that was wholesome and good, is now illegal, and the stuff that we thought was perversion is now good. Everything is screwed up. We used to ask the Forest Ranger where the best place was to find arrow heads, and he'd tell you, even draw a map and wish "good luck." Now you can't hardly pick up a rock in the forest, and for God's sake, don't chop up a down a dead tree for camp fire wood, and that's a fact, because bugs live in it. Watch out for the owl, endangered slug, shore nesting bird, and you by God better let a wolf eat your pets or livestock. You shoot a wolf and they'll spend more money trying to figure out who did it than they would to find a m------lem terrorist. If I used the word it probably would have been chopped, because we can't offend anyone, but I think you get what I'm trying to say. That's just my rant. Thanks for letting me get it off of my chest.

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first heard of these shows, I had a bad feeling about them drawing the kind of negative attention that they have. The guys in the show are so overboard with their antics and lingo they give a very bad impression of all metal detector hobbyists. Nothing good can come from these shows. I can only hope that cooler heads will prevail and that a bunch of new restrictions aren't pushed into law because of the negative exposure the shows have created. And really NatGeo, this kind of show is far beneath the kind of standard of quality educational programming we expect to see from your organization.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets start a petition against archeologists that are against detectorist...to say they were looting says a lot about you Alexandre. Im glad that Nat Geo told prof. Limp to be quiet. It would be great for you to have it all your way but it dont work like that. Your looking in the wrong place for support and if you didnt know that, then your not much of a threat to us. Go tell prof. Limp, he will listen. :icon_thumleft:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
their on private land WITH PERMISSION * get it PRIVATE as in not under govt archie control *

private land is land you can do with as you wish to basically , because you pay land taxes for the right to "control" that land and what goes on in it .

I know its hard for a archie to understand that they do not "own / control" the whole world
saving it from what they often veiw as the dumb other "people' that live in the world with them , but hey guess what --its a fact --you archie types are not in " total control" of every flipping thing in the world --all the land and whats under ir nor the sea and whats under it * -- when i hear the word "archie" sadly the term "control freak" comes to mind .

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. When will it end? I swear people always want to have control over what other people do. I admit these guys are a bit insane(just from seeing a clip on here). I mean...they were licking coins that they just dug up for Godsake. I understand it would be boring if they were just like "well, another merc" then onto the next hole. But they should show a little class when it comes to the historical find. Even with that being said, these guys aren't looting...they aren't stealing from private property. They have permission and I'm sure they do the property no harm considering they made it this far to have a T.V. show.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no "Lenny & Squiggy" As I like to call them,
on diggers Have not broken any laws.
Dosn't mean some Archie won't try his best
to create a few now though.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I never had any feelings for the archaeologists one way or the other,but after reading some of what they say,i don`t care for them anymore.
They seem like they are the people that do this only for money,no way would i help one.
Gary

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just goes to show, if an MDer is of the mind that he can climb in bed with the archeological community with the hope of establishing some sort of mutual ground he is badly mistaken.

As far as all these new shows.....I think the coming results had better be taken as a last opportunity to form a significant voice because these new shows are going to stir the pot, just as the posted letter has proven, but they are also going to inspire "a much larger metal detecting/treasure hunting community". Since they can't and won't be stopped, it would be a great time, actually a "vital time" to apply those new numbers to a "solidified body" in support of "all of our activities". There's never been a greater opportunity to establish a significant, unified voice. Somewhere out there someone has the ability and resources to make it happen.......wish it were me because if I could, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat!

lookindown said:
Lets start a petition against archeologists that are against detectorist...to say they were looting says a lot about you Alexandre. Im glad that Nat Geo told prof. Limp to be quiet. It would be great for you to have it all your way but it dont work like that. Your looking in the wrong place for support and if you didnt know that, then your not much of a threat to us. Go tell prof. Limp, he will listen. :icon_thumleft:

I just love it when people respond without having a clue what they're talking about.
It's called cut and paste. He didn't write the letter.
He's just posting it for us to see that there's repercussions already from one show.
Try looking into it a little deeper next time.

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
Destroying, looting? Is there not a very good written history on the war of northern aggression? What exactly do archies expect to discover by the unearthing of a 1940?s penny. Give me a break! Archies are greedy want it all, average guy cant have any. How many sites do you guys know of that were destroyed in the name of progress? I can name a few that had to have archies sign off on and were completely destroyed! One is the hi water port terminal, Cape girardeau, Mo. Small mounds and native american camp, bull dozed, totaly destroyed. The shows may not be in the best taste but their not looters or destroying archeologicaly significant sites. Anyway thats my rant.

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It's about control. Always has been! Here in Texas I can get in trouble for disturbing an archaeological site...even if it was never declared such! Not that I'm trying to find burial grounds or indian stuff...no, just the typical buttons, caches, maybe an old gun, etc. like the rest of us. These guys use particular language to put us in a bad light. Such as talking about desecrating burial remains...BS!! Has any detectorist ever taken the skull of a buried indian and sent it around the world on display? No. Furthermore, we don't look for the type of 'things' that these guys typically like to bring up as 'at risk'. I would venture to say that our hobby has done more to preserve 'Civil' War history over the last decade than the archaeologists have. That's just one area. Otherwise that stuff would be in the ground rotting away because they don't have funding to go out and look for it. They only care about it when we do the work!

'We' as a group need to become much more active in fighting encroachment of our hobby. We may all know that these shows bring to light the controversial aspects of our hobby. YET, hiding in the shadows or not drawing attention to what we do wasn't good enough before the reality shows, and hopefully folks will become more involved now to fight!

The archies can be fought-yes, they hold tremendous power-but it's because we're letting them define US. We're letting them define what they're trying to preserve (everything). The 50 year rule in most states is completely ridiculous. However, I'm thinking it's the result of folks not doing enough to bring to attention the details of the metal detecting hobby. The lawmakers that pass these bills don't know squat about what we do, they only know that the archaeologists are always 'the good guys' trying to preserve our history. The only way change it is to get out of the comfort zone and fight.

olenodigger

Mar 2, 2007
north florida,U.S
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250,infinum LS,White's Spectra V3i,white's TDI pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detectorist rewrote the history of the battle of the little bighorn,without them the archaeoloist wouldn't have been able to trace the battle.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
What is an archie? Well he is someone who is PAID to dig relics so he does it nice and slow, about one square yard a week. What about all the other relics in the ground? Well they have a term for that I think it it INSUIT, which means let it rest in place. Actually it is more like rotting in place but they don't care as long as no one else gets it. I think the greed self rightist factor is on there side of the fence.

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 699
    30.6 KB · Views: 703

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Frank, its INSITU, and it simply means the documenting as in pic taking before its moved, i try to get insitu pics of all my na artifacts. As a hunter of native american artifacts as well as mder, the pressure archies put on my hobbies really suck. I have nothing but contempt for any group that tries to limit my pursuit of happieness!

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Muddyhandz said:
I just love it when people respond without having a clue what they're talking about.
It's called cut and paste. He didn't write the letter.
He's just posting it for us to see that there's repercussions already from one show.
Try looking into it a little deeper next time.

Thanks, Muddyhanz, you read my intentions quite well.

As for archaeologists being against MDers... well, for me is quite the opposite. Whenever I can, I call on a team of friends of mine and they will gadly sweep an entire field for me, for free. They get the fun, I get the data, and we can share both knowledge and the thrill of finding artefacts.

Yes, the finds cannot be kept by the finder, nor can they sell or barter them. But, they will go to a museum for everyone to enjoy.

Let me point you an official project, being done in Portugal entirely by amateur MDs: they are operating in an area that was landfilled with dredged material from the bottom of a river that runs through territories that are inhabited since pre-historic times, having Roman, Islamic, Medieval and Modern stuff as well. So, we are talking about artifacts that were depositioned, carried off later by the river, dredeged in the 70's and then landfilled. Do they have any archaeological significance? Almost nil, since they carry only the intrinsic value of the artefact, all context being long gone.

So, why not have a bunch of MDs have a go at it? They do it - and have almost a full museum to show for. :)

http://translate.google.com/transla.../index.php?idType=3&idMenu=4&idPage=8&act=url

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, I had all the letters there. lol I read an article by an archie, I think it was in National Geographic, He used it to describe an area where he had found things and didn't have time to really go over it so he left it insitu untill sometime in the future. The way I took it was he would let it rot in the ground than have someone else find it.

Attachments

30.6 KB · Views: 674
    30.6 KB · Views: 659
OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Frankn said:
Well, I had all the letters there. lol I read an article by an archie, I think it was in National Geographic, He used it to describe an area where he had found things and didn't have time to really go over it so he left it insitu untill sometime in the future. The way I took it was he would let it rot in the ground than have someone else find it.

It's not about the "find", Frankn. Anyone with a metal detector, experience and time can find stuff. It's what you do with the find that counts.

What good will it make if I dig an entire Roman village out of it's coins of I am not going to study them one by one, to know what they are and where and when were they struck?

By studying those coins, I might learn that that village was "active" during a certain period of time and that they traded with this or that part of the Roman Empire. You see, if I am not digging Roman coins just for the sheer fund of it or to sell them in ebay, thus making a fast buck out of them, it would be foolish of me to be digging them out of context.

Withouth context, archaeology becomes antiquarism. So, me and my colleagues prefer to leave them in situ - if they have stood there for 2000 years, they might as well stand for a hundred years more. They are not going to rot away, because if they had ever to rot away they would have been long gone, now... ;)

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
In my mind they want to stop us mders and na artifact hunters, because we destroy sites that archies will never dig to begin with. They will never have the funding or ambition to do it. I was told of a piece of property that has been left unfarmed for 40 years now waiting on university of Mo archies to excavate it, yes Im sure the farmer is paid for not farming that property. It just burns my a$$ when towns, cities, states and feds destroy a site in the name of progress yet want to limit my recreational digging. Look at whats happened to recreational mining, whats next for us? A season limit? Only md during summer when fields are in crops and woods so thick ya cant hunt! Watch and see!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got my attention there Alexandre, about the artifacts 'will go to a museum for everyone to enjoy'. Sorry, that's not true and you know it. For example, we discovered a previously unknown site in Oklahoma last summer. I was legally there, and posted pics of some of the finds 'in situ' at the site here on Tnet. More people enjoyed those finds here on Tnet than ever would have enjoyed them at a museum, because first of all, no museum would really want them as they pretty much have a plethora of Plains Village era artifacts already, and if they did take them, they would be noted, boxed up, filed away, possibly lost and forgotten. Granted, as I've worked with the Oklahoma Archaeological Survey in the past, we reported the site since we determined it was relatively undisturbed and intact. They didn't do much with it, cause they felt they pretty much had a handle on everything related to the Plains Village era, of which this site was typical. Sorry they did not rush out and collect every anvil, hammerstone, awl, bone wrench, bones cracked for marrow extraction, harihey knife, wa$hita point, finger scraper, pottery shard, and put them on the showroom floor for everyone to enjoy. I worked with and admired the archies in Oklahoma, but I'm not a child so please don't use that line about artifacts need to go to a museum for everyone to enjoy. That's not feasible, it's not realistic, and it's just not true. Best of luck in your endeavor, whatever it may be, but come up with better reasoning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread