Ticks!

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they say off woods skeeter sprey works but im not real convinced it even works on skeeters....but then again i havent had a problem so far this year and the dog has only had maybe 3 and we have been out doors for the last 3 weeks straight

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ticks got to eat too!!!!!

a spray with Deet should do the trick

Cable

Dec 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
mxt, dfx, gmt,f75ltd, f5, gold bug, bhid
Hi, Deet will help but if you want a "cure" try thermethrin. This relatively new (I guess) and I have used it in the Wisconsin north woods with great results. The only place I can find it is at Cabelas under the name "Sawyer" in spray on bottle or aerasol. The ticks are very danerous if left to long on you. I hope I can say Cabelas---lol Try it you will like it----Don

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My hunting buddy gets devoured by ticks. I helped pull 17 off her after only a short hunt. The common tick and bug sprays dont help at all.
This sounds strange but Vapo-rub works fantastic for her. She applies it all over her exposed skin. It smells good, its not greasy and she isnt bothered by ticks or any other bugs.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't seen any ticks this year yet,
but then I Don't go looking for them, and hope they feel
the same about me.

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True@Jeff.. to early..
True@Treasure Hawk.. Skin So Soft (Avon)

But here is a tip for all those wood/forest explorers: Pick up a small plastic syringe from your hardware store and fill it with vaseline.. carry it on your travels.. and if you happen to have a tick imbedded in your skin.. take the syringe of vaseline.. and squirt the vaseline over the top of the tick and around the area.. Here is what happens.. the tick can't breath then retracts it's mandibles from your skin.. this way you don't just pull it off and brake the mandibles under your skin.

This is a bad idea! If you do this the tick will makes the tick vomit a bunch of it's stuff that makes pople sick into you. The best way is to pull them out as close to the skin as possible. Don't squeze them either it forces the bad stuff back into you.

Permthrin is good stuff. Spray it on your clothes and it last for weeks. I apply it to my socks, shoes, shirt, pants and hat. I've seen ticks get on my pants then die very quickly. Rather satisfying to watch those buggers die. :icon_thumright:

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is a bad idea! If you do this the tick will makes the tick vomit a bunch of it's stuff that makes pople sick into you. The best way is to pull them out as close to the skin as possible. Don't squeze them either it forces the bad stuff back into you.

Permthrin is good stuff. Spray it on your clothes and it last for weeks. I apply it to my socks, shoes, shirt, pants and hat. I've seen ticks get on my pants then die very quickly. Rather satisfying to watch those buggers die. :icon_thumright:

Permthrin is sold at Dicks sporting goods (not that I like the place) for about $14 in a spray bottle- just don't spray that stuff on your skin...if it kills stuff on contact it's best for cloths only... :)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Locally we've had more ticks this season than I've ever seen in April. Super mild and warm winter/early spring. I use a product called "Badger Bug Balm" on exposed skin and I haven't had a tick, though I have seen several on my pants. The poor dog has had two on his legs in spite of Advantage treatment.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem is they are so small when they hatch out you can barely see them ...wear boots and pants that fit tight aound the boots and then they crawl up your pant legs and you can spot them easier ...nasty little buggers

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
According to the Connecticut Department of Public Health, permethrin "has low mammalian toxicity, is poorly absorbed through the skin and is rapidly inactivated by the body. Skin reactions have been uncommon."[SUP][8][/SUP]
Excessive exposure to permethrin can cause nausea, headache, muscle weakness, excessive salivation, shortness of breath, and seizures. Worker exposure to the chemical can be monitored by measurement of the urinary metabolites, while severe overdosage may be confirmed by measurement of permethrin in serum or blood plasma.[SUP][9][/SUP]
Permethrin does not present any notable genotoxicity or immunotoxicity in humans and farm animals, but is classified by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a likely human carcinogen, based on reproducible studies in which mice fed permethrin developed liver and lung tumors.[SUP][10][/SUP] Carcinogenic action in nasal mucosal cells due to inhalation exposure is suspected, due to observed genotoxicity in human tissue samples, and in rat livers the evidence of increased pre-neoplastic lesions raises concern over oral exposure.[SUP][11][/SUP][SUP][12][/SUP]
Studies by Bloomquist et al., 2002 [SUP][13][/SUP] suggested a link of permethrin exposure to Parkinson's disease, including very small (per kg.) exposures:
2002 study - "Our studies have documented low-dose effects of permethrin, doses below one-one thousandth of a lethal dose for a mouse, with effects on those brain pathways [that are] involved in Parkinson's Disease [...] We have found effects consistent with a pre-parkinsonsian condition, but not yet full-blown parkinsonism." [SUP][14][/SUP][SUP][15][/SUP]However a more recent 2007 study by the same researcher concluded that there was "little hazard to humans"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions