Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're upgrading from an ACE 250 to an ETRAC you'll forget all about the clad once you start hitting the deeper, older targets. 8-)

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that sounds good to me

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are a Minelab fan it will be worth it .... If you are not a Minelab fan it will not be worth it .... But there are other detectors that go as deep as the E-Trac .... The Tesoro Vaquero will go deeper than a E-Trac in some soil ..... So it is just what detector company you are a big fan of ...... If you like minelab they have the best detectors in the world , If you like Garrett they are the best detectors in the world and so on and so on you get my point.... Every one will tell you the brand of detector they use is the best......... Could be for them but could not be for you... The best thing to do is go to a local dealer and try a few different brands out...... The only real way to find out what you like & want...

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy is on the button with his comments. I prefer single frequency detectors (or one's that can run one frequency at a time) to multi but you can't get away from the fact that with single frequency detectors you will need another detector, multifrequency like the Sovereigns or Explorers, or twin/tripple like the DFX/CZ's or V3 or a P.I. if you ever want to compete on wet salt beaches.

If your never going to want gold rings off the beach then the choice is easier but if you only want to have one detector then design's like the E Trac will tackle most sites well as will the Whites V3. One might be a better choice for the conditions in your area if you detect fairly close to home but you can only find this out by talking to local detectorists.

DanRiverMan

Dec 13, 2009
Rockingham County, NC
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC - Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your serious about this hobby then I say yes, if you are a couple of times a month hunter then I say no..My E-trac is worth every last cent that I paid for it..

good luck,
scott

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think ive made my mind up and the safari seems like the right choice for me

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, Keppy isn't right. If people only thought "thier brand" was the best available, then nobody would ever buy anything from a different company. Most serious detectorists own models of different brands. I have used Garrett, Whites, Tesoro and Minelab. If you want to find clad in a totlot, there are much better options than the E-Trac. If you want the deepest detector possible, there are others better. If you want to pull old silver from trash infested sites then the E-Trac is as good as it gets.

You can listen to many people tell you which detector is "best". If you want to really know whats best for the finds you want, look at thier finds.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anybody use a safari is it any good

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I won't deny that the E-Trac is a great detector, I just get sick of those that use them acting like it's the only detector that will find the good stuff. Look at Heavymetalnut's finds on this forum...better than most and he wasn't using an E-Trac. More important than what you're using is the area you're using it in. I think SOME folks feel the need to rationalize to themselves why they spent so much money. A lot has to do with people being followers too.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive been doing really good with the ace 250 i have had some good finds with it but now im ready for something a lil better and minelab safari looks really good but its really expensive

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anybody use a safari is it any good

One of group buddies, (detecting buddies) bought the Safari when it came out and sold about 1 month later. HE said the recovery speed was, "slow". On the othr hand...The ones that have E-Tracs and took the time to really learn it, say it's a keeper.

Graddick

Sep 17, 2011
Ottawa
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was seriously considering an E-trac last autumn when I decided to graduate from my Tesoro Compadre. The price wasn't too big of an issue since I was planning on buying used/refurbished. What raised my eyebrows was when people said that the learning curve on the E-trac (and other high-end minelabs) was really long. Since I don't get out more than once or twice a month, I didn't want to spend a whole year trying to figure out my machine and miss loads of stuff in the process.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never understood the "long learning curve" attached to the Minelabs. I picked it up right away, so did all my buddies that switched, and digging lots of good stuff almost immediately.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The safari looks incredibly easy to operate

youart58

Greenie
Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i had one din't like it. garrett was better.i now have the golden sense, but it brought nothing but rain had it out twice and like it the best so far and cost less the e-trac and v3i

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
FIsher F2, Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I talked on the phone to a guy that has a store and is a minelab dealer. He tried to encourage me to get a Garrett AT Pro, so apparently they are pretty good. He has an ETrac and likes it. I do remember him telling me that some models just don't sell and the Safari was the one he mentioned he had only sold a very very few of. So with that I would do more research. :) Good luck!

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I started with the Safari and it's a great detector. I have found all kinds of CW relics and old coins. Great on a salt water beach also. Just take your time and learn the tones. I upgraded from a safari to an e trac and it was like starting over. The safari is great right out of the box and you will enjoy it. I used it for 2 years.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RiverRat3 said:
I started with the Safari and it's a great detector. I have found all kinds of CW relics and old coins. Great on a salt water beach also. Just take your time and learn the tones. I upgraded from a safari to an e trac and it was like starting over. The safari is great right out of the box and you will enjoy it. I used it for 2 years.

Thats what i want to hear I just want a good machine easy to use but higher end you know

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread