IS THE E TRAC WORTH THE MONEY

USTreasureClub

Oct 16, 2010
fistfulladirt said:
I've never understood the "long learning curve" attached to the Minelabs. I picked it up right away, so did all my buddies that switched, and digging lots of good stuff almost immediately.

Hi, I own the Minelab water detector. The only thing I hate about the detector, gold, silver, bottle caps etc give off the same tone. You have to dig everything. It is s pain in the butt. Any help appreciated if I am wrong. Thank you

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I own the Minelab water detector. The only thing I hate about the detector, gold, silver, bottle caps etc give off the same tone. You have to dig everything. It is s pain in the butt. Any help appreciated if I am wrong. Thank you

What Minelab water detector are you using that is monotone?

USTreasureClub

Oct 16, 2010
Hi,

Thank you for your response. I actually called a detector company yesterday ready to buy the new top of the line White's and told the rep why I was switching. He told me to place the knob in Desc mode and switch from Auto to number 1. If I hope in the water with it, I need to switch to Aqua Mode, number 5. From what the rep said, I have the best water detector on the market. He could have very easily sold me the new White's with the wireless headset but he didn't. I own the Excalibur II.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guys, do you want to ride in a Mustang, BMW, VW.... all will go from point A to point B. Gals, do you want to be seen in a Versaci or a Walmart. Some look good in both. Do you want your friends to see you with a Garrett 250 at $250 or a Minelab 5000 at $5000 ? Too many seem to be stuck on how they LOOK with a detector than how it WORKS! That is my opinion. TTC

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really care how I look with the detector I just want something that performs really well and get s the deep stuff consistently I wanna know if you etrac is worth the money and does the job

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really care how I look with the detector I just want something that performs really well and get s the deep stuff consistently I wanna know if you etrac is worth the money and does the job

It's worth every penny! Just look at what E-Trac users find.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
No, Keppy isn't right. If people only thought "thier brand" was the best available, then nobody would ever buy anything from a different company. Most serious detectorists own models of different brands. I have used Garrett, Whites, Tesoro and Minelab. If you want to find clad in a totlot, there are much better options than the E-Trac. If you want the deepest detector possible, there are others better. If you want to pull old silver from trash infested sites then the E-Trac is as good as it gets.

You can listen to many people tell you which detector is "best". If you want to really know whats best for the finds you want, look at thier finds.
All jason does is push minelab for he is a minelab fan......The best thing to do is go to a dealer and see what you want not what some one here wants you to buy because they use it...........If you hunt inland and really know your detector any detector will do you good................I hate to say this but these minelab people for the most part are a pain ...........I use Minelab & Garrett & Fisher & Tesoro...... But i will not tell you what to buy for what i like you might not......I have been useing Minelab before jason ever heard of Minelab and still use one But it might not be the best one for you just because i like it.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Guys, do you want to ride in a Mustang, BMW, VW.... all will go from point A to point B. Gals, do you want to be seen in a Versaci or a Walmart. Some look good in both. Do you want your friends to see you with a Garrett 250 at $250 or a Minelab 5000 at $5000 ? Too many seem to be stuck on how they LOOK with a detector than how it WORKS! That is my opinion. TTC
TerryC .... You got that right .... You know what you are talking about......:thumbsup: :occasion14:

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
i wanna upgrade to a high end detector is the e trac worth it or is there a better option mostly for coins and such

I Have used many top name brands, all top of the line models. I ordered the minelab XS when it was released and was exited. On my first outing my arm almost fell off, so heavy and not balanced to great. I was used to swinging an XLT and Tesoro both good machines indeed. I was so sore but kept with it, learning curve for me wasnt to long and my silver finds increased 1000%. My hunting areas are super trashy and Iron filled. Then I waited and got the ETRAC and low and behold just as freaking heavey but it outperformed the XS and I am more than pleased. Minelabs are very heavey hurt my arm but usually put a smile on my face after each hunt.

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well, The Safari is an excellent choice.

The interface is user-friendly, the TID at depth is awesome, and once you've learnt how, you will get an easy 14" on coins in mild ground.

These were the pros.

The cons is that it's heavy. You'll have to make it short and sweep in an arc just around your feet, so that the weight won't hurt your elbow. It is slow indeed, and if you're not a slow sweeper, just buy something else.

I have both a Quattro (the former Safari) and a tendinitis I owe it. Believe me, it's not enjoyable, even my Goldbug Pro seems heavy now. I ended last year in using the Quattro only eight times.

BUT...Quattro/Safari, if you're a beach hunter, well, the simple truth is they're gold magnets.

And to find that gold, well the Safari is almost all you need. Save some buck$ compared to the Etrac, buy a second coi instead (a smaller one, of course).

HH

Grumpy

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All jason does is push minelab for he is a minelab fan.......

Time for you to quit trolling Keppy. You know that's not true. I ahve used many different brands over the last 30 years. I currently own 3 brands.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Time for you to quit trolling Keppy. You know that's not true. I ahve used many different brands over the last 30 years. I currently own 3 brands.
Jason.... How do you find all my post's?.... Your not trolling are you ???:laughing9::laughing9:

MrDude

Greenie
Sep 19, 2008
i wanna upgrade to a high end detector is the e trac worth it or is there a better option mostly for coins and such

Now heres a topic I love.
I think the better question is, do you want to dig up clad with a $1000+ detector? It will take a long time to pay off, and how many really deep old coins do you think you'll find? (A hand full a year) Sure you can hunt for old coins but you have to know where to look for old coins and then a $200 -$300 machine will get 99% of the job done.

If your looking to clean up on the clad and maximize your finds (profits) then take a look at Tesoro Silver uMax with the Widescan Search Coil, (which I don't own.)

It all comes down to what your expecting to do with a new machine.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok guys, let's keep it civil and keep the comments relative to the post. No need to send personal jabs. Let's all swallow hard and move on. TTC

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok guys, let's keep it civil and keep the comments relative to the post. No need to send personal jabs. Let's all swallow hard and move on. TTC
OK Terry.. I have moved on..... Thanks for the push to get me out of the rut i got in......

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply " Yes "

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK Terry.. I have moved on..... Thanks for the push to get me out of the rut i got in......
Hey Keppy, LOVE that new avatar! I like to post my opinion when I believe I have something to add. I know there are MANY machines that will outperform mine.... in the right hands! No boubt! Please do not take my above post as directed at you. Some people know how to press my button but I try real hard not to get into a pissin' contest about it. I often say more than I need to and others do too. I try to glean what I can from ALL contributers to this net... when they have something to say! Stay thirsty, my friend. TTC

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cant we all just get along :violent1:

hydrodog

Jul 16, 2011
MICHIGAN
Detector(s) used
DFX E TRAC
I went from using the DFX to the E Trac as my primary machine and found the transition very easy. The E Trac is heavy,buy a swingy thing you'll need it. The E Trac is a silver finding machine,it also loves round objects, I use it mainly for coins, the DFX finds everything, Every metal detector has its strength and weakness and detectors are computers,constantly being upgraded and outdated, but it doesn't mean they wont get the job done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread