Whites vs. Garrett ?

D

Desert Rat

Not new to exploring ghost Towns, etc. but new to metal detecting. I have a good electronics background and leaning towards the purchase of a higher end Garrett model. Largely because of the DSP. I have seen what it has done to communication electronics. I'm sure this isn't a passing phase/interest, so I thought I might as well put a few extra bucks into the price of an entry level model, and get something I will grow3 into. I know this is like asking Motorcyclists, "Harley or BMW", but if anyone has experience with both. I'd love to get a little feed back. My needs will be mostly coin shooting, but I would like the ability for a little Cache hunting when the oppurtunity presents itself. ( I will be around a lot of old foundations and ruins in the middle of no where.). Looking at GTI 1500, but maybe the 2500 because of it's sale price and package deal right now. The 2500 will fill in my later requirement better.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you've answered your own question

Attachments

• Scroll.gif
    Scroll.gif
    26.2 KB · Views: 258
  • Scroll.gif
    Scroll.gif
    26.2 KB · Views: 249

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
I agree, either one is a great machine but then you mention Cache hunting
and bingo bango the 2500 with the depth mulitplier seems like it should do it.

Then again, I have no Exp with either........it's jus the way I have leaned. :-\

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I might add is research all models. Then go with budget and gut feeling.
Burdie

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 2500 and a 250 by Garrett. I may be wrong but I am sensing that Garrett is due for a new upper end model in the not too distant future. The 2500 has been around a long time. No, I don't have any inside information but just a gut feeling. My 2500 is an excellent coin shooter and is tremendous for small jewelry items in just about any environment. It is a bit heavy and tires me out easily without a support device to take the load off my arms. It also has a shorter learning curve than some of the other very fine top of the line detectors. It may be a bit outmoded being a single frequency detector when multifrequency is the fad. Extra coils are not as expensive as some of the top of the liners either. The 1500 is the baby brother of the 2500 and a fine detector in its own right, but not in the same cost class. Just my 2 cents . Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread