HOT ROCKS?

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
ok got a question.iv found a place to hunt that dates back to 1890. iv found IH penny 1880 and Barber dime 1893..i know there is a lot more there.problem is "HOT ROCKS" drive me crazy as this ground is loaded! question I'm, using a Fisher CZ5 would it be better to go back to my old Whites 6000DI and run in TR mode? thanks Dixie

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot rocks are pultabs EVIL brother. Together they are the bane of all that is holy.

Not real sure about your choice of detectors but I will say that when I went from Tesoro to Minelab it got better for me. Not saying anything bad about Tesoro I love them and still own two of them. Just my experience is the minelab is not as bothered by hot rocks. But I still get them on ocassion.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for some reason i found a creek bed of hot rocks. sent my md nuts. only thing in the area was volcanicrocks

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some detectors are supposed to have a program to limit the effect of hot rocks, but in a gold producing area I'm not sure I would want to? Kinda like discriminating out nickels and pulltabs where you think gold jewelry might be found.....If I am understanding this correctly? Monty

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Dixie: Hot Rocks are highly concentrated mineralized rocks containing magnetic iron! The reason they drive you crazy is they are different
from the other matrix you are adjusted for! If you are using a VLF MD,(which you are) Put it on Zero Discrimination & Pass over the Rock. If the Sound Decreases from the Threshhold Level, its a Hot Rock or spot. If it remains the Same or Increases, Check it out!

I really hope this helps you! I don't totally understand it myself! ???

Joe

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buscadero said:
Dixie: Hot Rocks are highly concentrated mineralized rocks containing magnetic iron! The reason they drive you crazy is they are different
from the other matrix you are adjusted for! If you are using a VLF MD,(which you are) Put it on Zero Discrimination & Pass over the Rock. If the Sound Decreases from the Threshhold Level, its a Hot Rock or spot. If it remains the Same or Increases, Check it out!

Joe
Thanks for the explanation. It is just another detail that I can use to understand the environment when I am detecting.

Laater...

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
buscadero said:

Joe

DD,

no, no, no; don't believe everything you
read on the web. ;)

Hot rocks are really fairies teeth. ;)

have a good un..............

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
Some detectors are supposed to have a program to limit the effect of hot rocks, but in a gold producing area I'm not sure I would want to? Kinda like discriminating out nickels and pulltabs where you think gold jewelry might be found.....If I am understanding this correctly? Monty

This is an Excellent point.

since I switched to Minelab the Hot rock Situation has Improved,
But I also wonder if I'm passing up Meteorites.

Woodsie

Oct 25, 2006
Northeastern PA
Detector(s) used
XLT by Whites
Lift the coil up off the soil about 12 to 15 inches in all metal mode. if you still get a buzz you hit either a hot rock, aluminum can or a large piece of metal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions