i need advice on buying a MD for $300 and under

D

daniel74868

i have been looking around for about a week now. there are more brands than i thought, and some of the prices are ridiculously low and some are high. i know i cant get the "best" MD made with about 300 bucks, but i would like to get a good one. right now i have a bounty hunter quickdraw II i bought for 50 bucks at a pawn shop. but i want something better now. so if anyone has some advice on what to look for and what to avoid when buying a MD, I'm all ears. (and maybe some good websites)
thanks ya'll, Daniel

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll probably get a ton of different advice as there are as many opinions as members on this forum! Top of the list right now is probably the ACE 250 by Garrett. Another that comes to mind is the Radio Shack 3300. Also, Bounty Hunter has several in that range. Whites lower end has some good products. Check out the thread that has evaluations by owners by brand name on this forum. Monty

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would second the recommendation for the Ace 250. At $212.00 (the actually selling price at most places) it's a lot of detector for the money. Plus if you have three hundred to spend the extra money left over could be spent on some of the other required essentials such as: A really good digging tool, a long handled sand scoop, a pinpointer (You won't regret this one), a good quality pair of headphones with volume control, as well as, many other little odds and ends like coin/trash pouches, a backback or case for all your gear, possibly a gardeners kneeling pad or knee pads if your knees are getting old like mine. The list can go on and on. Best of luck.

Johnny

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Tesoro Cibola. Doesn't have a meter, but who needs a stinking meter when it will beat the pants off all the others listed here in depth. Lifetime warranty too. Great machine and an awesome coin picker with the 5.75 coil.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
daniel74868 said:
i have been looking around for about a week now. there are more brands than i thought, and some of the prices are ridiculously low and some are high. i know i cant get the "best" MD made with about 300 bucks, but i would like to get a good one. right now i have a bounty hunter quickdraw II i bought for 50 bucks at a pawn shop. but i want something better now. so if anyone has some advice on what to look for and what to avoid when buying a MD, I'm all ears. (and maybe some good websites)
thanks ya'll, Daniel

Welcome to the forum Daniel. Any chance you wouldn't mind saving up the money until you can get the exact detector that you dream of?

I would say that I have seen some decent detectors go on ebay lately for 700-800 range. THose were the Minelab exp 2. If they are going at that rate then a few more hundred dollars could get you one real sweet detector. I have never used an ace 250. IT gets a lot of great reviews here, but if I do get another detector I will save money until I get that dream detector. Minelab exp 2, Se, or perhaps a new one that is way better than those. Who knows?

Just some food for thought is all.

Postalrevnant

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
The best new detector would be the ACE250 hands down!!!! If you are lucky you may pick up a good used higher end unit. Thats what I would look for. Check tnet classifieds and see whats there ;)
Greg

phantomx6

Greenie
Feb 16, 2006
Kansas City, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett GTA 500, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Tesoro Vaquero, Fisher CZ3D, Minelab Explorer SE, White DFX
The Garrett Ace 250 gets a lot of good reviews. However, my vote would be for the Tesoro Cibola. Or, if you can part with just a little more money, the Tesoro Vaquero. That little baby is a killer!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions