Church

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most churches have a group of trustees or a similar group. Of course, the pastor would know who to ask, if he himself couldn't grant permission.

It's hard to find the right time to ask for permission at churches- they're either locked up and empty, or there's a service going on. Maybe attend a Sunday service and conspicuously leave something in the collection plate, then ask around after the service.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's a country church without a parsonage, check with the neighbors. They should be able to tell you who to contact.
If the church has a parsonage, ask there. Try to get permission to detect the parsonage lawn too. I have found some really nice coins in the lawns where the Minister lives. Many times that is where they held Socials.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you ask, you might consider offering to give what you find to the church - face value, at least...

DCMatt

Kale1

Nov 2, 2006
Find out who the owner is. I was giving permission myself from the pastor at a church not long ago on paper.But did not seem to be good enough for one of the old member of the church and his wife, because I was told to LEAVE! So be sure when you get permission it is from the one that know one will question.Good Luck

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Always and forever,get permission,in writing if possible.Just remember, C Y A , (cover your butt)

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Dear God.
Your word was not good enough.
I need a Signature.

Now He is pissed: >:(
:o :o
Water to Blood
7:19 And the LORD spake unto Moses, Say unto Aaron, Take thy rod, and stretch out thine hand upon the waters of Egypt, upon their streams, upon their rivers, and upon their ponds, and upon all their pools of water, that they may become blood; and that there may be blood throughout all the land of Egypt, both in vessels of wood, and in vessels of stone
:o
Frogs
8:2 And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs: 8:3 And the river shall bring forth frogs abundantly, which shall go up and come into thine house, and into thy bedchamber, and upon thy bed, and into the house of thy servants, and upon thy people, and into thine ovens, and into thy kneadingtroughs: 8:4 And the frogs shall come up both on thee, and upon thy people, and upon all thy servants.
Gnats
8:16 And the LORD said unto Moses, Say unto Aaron, Stretch out thy rod, and smite the dust of the land, that it may become lice throughout all the land of Egypt.
Flies
8:21 Else, if thou wilt not let my people go, behold, I will send swarms of flies upon thee, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people, and into thy houses: and the houses of the Egyptians shall be full of swarms of flies, and also the ground whereon they are.
Livestock Diseased
9:3 Behold, the hand of the LORD is upon thy cattle which is in the field, upon the horses, upon the asses, upon the camels, upon the oxen, and upon the sheep: there shall be a very grievous murrain.
Boils
9:8 And the LORD said unto Moses and unto Aaron, Take to you handfuls of ashes of the furnace, and let Moses sprinkle it toward the heaven in the sight of Pharaoh. 9:9 And it shall become small dust in all the land of Egypt, and shall be a boil breaking forth with blains upon man, and upon beast, throughout all the land of Egypt.
Thunder and Hail
9:18 Behold, to morrow about this time I will cause it to rain a very grievous hail, such as hath not been in Egypt since the foundation thereof even until now.
Locusts
10:4 Else, if thou refuse to let my people go, behold, to morrow will I bring the locusts into thy coast: 10:5 And they shall cover the face of the earth, that one cannot be able to see the earth: and they shall eat the residue of that which is escaped, which remaineth unto you from the hail, and shall eat every tree which groweth for you out of the field
Darkness
10:21 And the LORD said unto Moses, Stretch out thine hand toward heaven, that there may be darkness over the land of Egypt, even darkness which may be felt. 10:22 And Moses stretched forth his hand toward heaven; and there was a thick darkness in all the land of Egypt three days
Death of the Firstborn
11:4 And Moses said, Thus saith the LORD, About midnight will I go out into the midst of Egypt: 11:5 And all the firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the first born of Pharaoh that sitteth upon his throne, even unto the firstborn of the maidservant that is behind the mill; and all the firstborn of beasts.

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Holy Geez.... :P

I dont think that would go over as well.......Sorry for cutting up your lawn a little.

God said I could

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys are too much! ;D ;D ;D

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Why get so excited about an old church this day in age? Likely there isn't a church in the country that hasn't been gone over real well by this date. While many may want to think through the correctness of getting permission. A lot of the coin shooters I've known didn't ask anyone but just went for it. I've done the same myself and never had any trouble. Have found some nice coins church yards in the past. But today I doubt you'll find much worth talking about.
The coins took years to get lost in the yard, but one good coin shooter can clean it out in a few hours. And the next hunter to go in cleaned it up even more, to where today you'd be lucky to find anything. However! If you take the time to check out old maps that show where a church stood back in 1860's or so that burnt down about the same time and wasn't rebuilt you may have a good shot at finding some nice coins even yet.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monk said:
Why get so excited about an old church this day in age? Likely there isn't a church in the country that hasn't been gone over real well by this date. While many may want to think through the correctness of getting permission. A lot of the coin shooters I've known didn't ask anyone but just went for it. I've done the same myself and never had any trouble. Have found some nice coins church yards in the past. But today I doubt you'll find much worth talking about.
The coins took years to get lost in the yard, but one good coin shooter can clean it out in a few hours. And the next hunter to go in cleaned it up even more, to where today you'd be lucky to find anything. However! If you take the time to check out old maps that show where a church stood back in 1860's or so that burnt down about the same time and wasn't rebuilt you may have a good shot at finding some nice coins even yet.

WOW!!!! I doubt that very much.....Maybe in your small town....But there are an awful lot of churches that have not been hunted.

Talk with the paster or get a phone no. in the phone book. I phoned them and asked permission and always was granted. And by the way, I always manage to get a few good silver keepers each time... I'm doing a picnic grove that a church sits on.. It has never been hunted in 60 -70 years 3.5 acres keepers ever time. Yesterday 3 I H and silver and gold.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Monk said:

I would give it a go.
Never know, unless you try ;)

have a good un...........

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Monk said:

I have to agree with Monk here. Church hunting isn't exactly new as detectorists have been targeting these sites for decades. I have probably detected several hundred 40 years ago. As an ignorant teenager I rarely asked permission. Not something I would do today. Occasionally some church members or even ministers would stop and ask what I was doing but I was never asked to leave. They were mainly curious as metal detecting was still relatively unknown to the general public(No bad apples leaving holes- just me). I was always carefull to leave no evidence of my digging. The mind set at the time(incorrect) was that these locations were public property just like parks and schools.

If you are not finding a pocketfull of old coins(non clad coinage)- the church has been detected before. Now the best place for coins was always around the front steps. What I would do is remove ALL IRON around this area. Your objective is to find coins which have been masked by iron to earlier detectorists. As the early BFOs had limited depth- deep "iffy" signals should be looked at.

Have Fun
George

Attachments

• DSCN0067.JPG
    DSCN0067.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 178
OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
This is a smaller church not very close to the Metro area.
I hunted a little sample area before looking for permission.
I found this 43 Merc just a few feet off of the curb by a tree.
(tecnically still considdered city land)

As you can imagine......I wanna go back!

Attachments

• 43FRT.jpg
    43FRT.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 43FRT.jpg
    43FRT.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 178

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread