SEEKING ADVICE/pointers for my ace 350 please help!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey guys, i have some questions about my ace 350 i was hoping to get some help with. i should mention that i usually have it in coin mode with 2less than full bars of sensitivity

I have a hard time with signal sometimes. Ill get a beep saying its a coin and then when i swipe over it again its gone? :icon_scratch:
i thought it was possibly due to being real deep, but i end up digging a 12" wide hole and nada. Does it sometimes beep from junk even in coin mode? like from iron or steel?

also my son has a standing liberty silver quarter so i thought id bury it at 8" and it didnt find it. however the pinpoint mode did find it ??

i get a solid beep--beep belltone when i follow over a coin at 1-4 inches but have yet to get a coin deeper than that. If i do swipe over a silver buried deeper (say 5+ inches) would the belltone be quieter? my depth meter is wacky too, it sometimes says its down 8+ and i know thats not totally accurate

i guess bottom line is im getting frustrated with it and dont want to wrap it around a tree. Most ppl who say their detectors are pieces of _ _ _ _ dont practice enough and dont know their machine very well. I only had my crap bounty hunter for a month and learned all its sounds and modes pretty good. I felt confident when i passed over a target and heard the tone that i knew what it was. Now with the ace 350 im 7 kinds of confused.

hopefully some more experienced users can help me with some of my issues before i lose my mind. lol thanks and HH

Last edited:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need some serious time on the machine..i felt the same with mine for almost 2 weeks but then i got used to what the machine was telling me...i hunted 8 hours a day for 2 weeks straight and now i know when i have a coin under my coil ....dig the repeating signals and i hunt with the sens turned down 3 notches not 2 like the stock setting...and for the depth gauge bigger objects like a pop can will say 2 inches even though its 10 inches...pinpoint tells a better tale on depth and is more accurate...the next enemy of yours will be the bottle cap and the pop can but with time you will figure them out also ...as for the deep silver hits..i dont think your going to dig much past 6-8 inches i did dig a dime at 9 inches but it wasnt a very good signal and i dug it just to see what it was...ended up being a 66 clad dime that gave a good tone and then a iron tone something i wouldnt dig normaly...if you want something thats going to find silver a foot down you need to rethink your unit pony up some cash and buy a high end unit...if you want to dig silver 8 inches and under you have the right machine...just my 2 cents

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need some serious time on the machine..i felt the same with mine for almost 2 weeks but then i got used to what the machine was telling me...i hunted 8 hours a day for 2 weeks straight and now i know when i have a coin under my coil ....dig the repeating signals and i hunt with the sens turned down 3 notches not 2 like the stock setting...and for the depth gauge bigger objects like a pop can will say 2 inches even though its 10 inches...pinpoint tells a better tale on depth and is more accurate...the next enemy of yours will be the bottle cap and the pop can but with time you will figure them out also ...as for the deep silver hits..i dont think your going to dig much past 6-8 inches i did dig a dime at 9 inches but it wasnt a very good signal and i dug it just to see what it was...ended up being a 66 clad dime that gave a good tone and then a iron tone something i wouldnt dig normaly...if you want something thats going to find silver a foot down you need to rethink your unit pony up some cash and buy a high end unit...if you want to dig silver 8 inches and under you have the right machine...just my 2 cents

yeah i only have about 5 hrs w it so far. also i think the ridiculous heat was wearing on my patience. the thing that gets me the most is when i get a signal and it mysteriously vanishes. it makes me dig a hole to china, just today i had a 12" wide hole so deep i swear jackie chan came outta it:dontknow:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Geez to agree with dusty,(no offence dusty!). Slow down and learn your machine!. Its doing what it should,telling you something is there. It takes both of you to tell what it is. A new language so to speak. Machine does what it can for depth but is blind to what it" feels". You don,t have to agree but it does take many hours to learn a new machine. Relax,when you use another detector after learning your 350 you,ll miss that relationship too.H.H. yes it will beep when you pass over iron. its just letting you know its there. It won,t dwell on it if you don,t. Losing targets changed when i used a pinpointer,was digging up tiny stuff,and losing it. I usually run 5 by 8 coil in trashy areas and its pretty constant noise.

Last edited:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those ghost signals your referring too is from the iron and it wont set off the machine until your over it and your picking up traces to the side of the real target...so when you dig nothing there but when you pinpoint it will lead you right over the target and rescan and it will be iron...another thing you can do is stomp your foot down on the target and rescan it again it will vanish...just things you will learn with afew sets of batteries changed out and hours of time on the machine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread