iron discrimate

dale68

Jan 12, 2009
I'm not familiar witrh the 2200, but would say iron disc could knock small pieces out. Best bet use all metal, if you encounter a lot of small iron set the disc to maks it sound bad but not silent. Good luck with ur search

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I find it fascinating that people want to disk it out. Why is that. Does the sound from the detector bother you.

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No but maybe i got tired of digging up trash

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
ticm

I find it fascinating that people want to disk it out. Why is that. Does the sound from the detector bother you.

Ticm, I believe you are confusing issues. If a person is using a tone-ID machine, where he's elected to hear everything (and simply use his ears to decide what to dig, verses what to pass), that's not the same as going "all-metal". What I'm trying to say is, the very moment we md'rs use disc. mode TID, EVEN THOUGH WE MAY HAVE OUR SCREENS "WIDE OPEN", is still a form of discrimination, because we are still using our ears to pass iron, or foil, whatever else we elect to. If you want to know what real "all-metal" mode is, you'd have to go to a machines pinpoint mode (or all-metal mode, or whatever each particular machine calls it), and listen in that mode. Everything will sound the same, with no TID. Only THAT is true all-metal. The other is still a form of discriminate (albeit with your ears).

ok Jimzz977, to answer your question: no, you will not loose gold, if you knock out iron. Because gold is a higher conductor than iron. But this is a trick question though! Because if you're talking extremely small gold items (ie.: pinhead nuggets, or dainty thin chains, etc...), they can read ssseeeoooo low on the TID scale, that they are dangerously close to the iron range. And the reality is, most machines ........ once you knock out iron, might include the range of wet-salt conductivness, and could over-lap into the extremely low ranges of teensy dainty targets.

But assuming you were talking about normal regular gold jewelry items, no. You can knock out iron, and find gold all day long. You're just going to have to allow foil and aluminum in though, as gold (especially smaller items) can read down to small foil. Bigger gold (ie.: fat men's bands, etc...) read up to tabs and so forth.

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the answer is no, like Tom said if u use all metal mode u will be digging every thing. good luck

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Tom_in_CA said:
Ticm, I believe you are confusing issues. If a person is using a tone-ID machine, where he's elected to hear everything (and simply use his ears to decide what to dig, verses what to pass), that's not the same as going "all-metal". What I'm trying to say is, the very moment we md'rs use disc. mode TID, EVEN THOUGH WE MAY HAVE OUR SCREENS "WIDE OPEN", is still a form of discrimination, because we are still using our ears to pass iron, or foil, whatever else we elect to. If you want to know what real "all-metal" mode is, you'd have to go to a machines pinpoint mode (or all-metal mode, or whatever each particular machine calls it), and listen in that mode. Everything will sound the same, with no TID. Only THAT is true all-metal. The other is still a form of discriminate (albeit with your ears).

ok Jimzz977, to answer your question: no, you will not loose gold, if you knock out iron. Because gold is a higher conductor than iron. But this is a trick question though! Because if you're talking extremely small gold items (ie.: pinhead nuggets, or dainty thin chains, etc...), they can read ssseeeoooo low on the TID scale, that they are dangerously close to the iron range. And the reality is, most machines ........ once you knock out iron, might include the range of wet-salt conductivness, and could over-lap into the extremely low ranges of teensy dainty targets.

But assuming you were talking about normal regular gold jewelry items, no. You can knock out iron, and find gold all day long. You're just going to have to allow foil and aluminum in though, as gold (especially smaller items) can read down to small foil. Bigger gold (ie.: fat men's bands, etc...) read up to tabs and so forth.

Well I don't hunt to many modern areas school and parks and such. So I guess I was giving my opinion on places like old home sites and the like. I dig a lot of iron and find a lot of cool stuff. I suppose if I were hunting a park with no history it would get tiring digging up bolts and modern nails. Not to many cellar holes in CA I bet. Lots of people don't have access to such places. So if your coin shooting I guess I would not dig most of the sounds I hear.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
jimzz977 said:
No but maybe i got tired of digging up trash

If your hunting places with a long history you may want to reconsider. If your just after gold then that's another matter.

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your responds you guys are very helpful. I went hunting today and put fresh batteries and started hunting and the detector shut down, put old batteries and start working

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions