Aluminum crud removal?

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a disk, which I think is aluminum, and I need the crud removed from it. I dug this in an area that was a WWII training ground. I believe it to be a dog tag judging by its shape and the hole near the edge. The hole is circular and made from a drill. Other than it being a disk and the drill hole, there is nothing and I mean nothing that can identify it. The crud build up is extremely thick and darkened from the soil stains, but, I definitely believe it is aluminum due to the white whitish appearance through the soil stains. I also gently scraped two opposing areas on the disk in order to get conductivity through the disk for my electrolysis. The disk will bubble, but, the crud will not come off. It is shiny under the crud and I have never seen silver behave this way. Only aluminum.

I need help with suggestions on how to remove the oxidation on disk. Steel wool is out of the question and nothing abrasive is going onto the surface. Does anyone think soaking it in anything will help? I have to replace outdoor cameras all the time and they are aluminum. The crud that builds up on them is unbelievably difficult to remove. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am BETTING on dog tag and I would REALLY love to find out the name under the crud. If it is a dog tag I would love to return it.

Sorry there is no pic yet. I will try to get a "before" picture prior to actual de-crudding. I don't own a camera anymore so we will all just have to wait for that.

Thanks for any help!!

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
There is a product labeled "Oops" that will take any crud off of aluminum very well. I would mix it with 2 parts water and let it soak for 15 minutes, then take a cloth to it. Should wipe right off.

OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I usually use a screwdriver on the camera housings to get the crud off, but, this isn't a camera housing, right? I'll give the vinegar a shot in the meantime. Maybe soften it up a bit. I really hope I can return it. I am looking forward to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions