Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
It's possible for at least a little while- and it depends on how hard you want to work to dig each hole. You can dig relatively easy as long as the frost doesn't get too deep. When you get a good signal just clear the snow and "chip" through the frost layer, underneath is soft ground. Of course chipping through an inch or two of forzen ground is one thing, chipping through six inches is quite another. When the frost gets too thick in the open areas you can still find thin/or no frost in leave covered woods, when the frost gets too thick in the woods spring is just around the corner.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Cannonman17 said:
It's possible for at least a little while- and it depends on how hard you want to work to dig each hole. You can dig relatively easy as long as the frost doesn't get too deep. When you get a good signal just clear the snow and "chip" through the frost layer, underneath is soft ground. Of course chipping through an inch or two of forzen ground is one thing, chipping through six inches is quite another. When the frost gets too thick in the open areas you can still find thin/or no frost in leave covered woods, when the frost gets too thick in the woods spring is just around the corner.

like cannonman says, it depends on how frozen the ground is. areas that see most of the sun will be less frozen than shady areas. the ground also tends to be less frozen in the woods so if there are any wooded areas you want to hit, it might be good to hit them in the cold.

TnT2000

Jan 15, 2006
Easton PA
As Hollowpointred said.

The wood are a good spot in the winter, the leaves insulate the ground. I have tried hunting grass area's, parks in the dead of winter and it is hard Literally, I mean who would even think of no detecting for a few months come on...looks like its into the woods....

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I tried to detect too early one year in South Dakota up in the Black Hills. The detecting went real well I detected lots of signals..trouble is I couldn't even think about getting through that frozen ground to retrieve the target. Okay, okay, South Dakota might be a tad colder than New York but you get my drift.

S

stefen

Don't screw around, get one of these.

Attachments

• backhoe.gif
    backhoe.gif
    23.5 KB · Views: 151
  • backhoe.gif
    backhoe.gif
    23.5 KB · Views: 142

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and the fact that any snow accumulation puts more inches between your searchcoil and the surface of the ground. I have done some winter detectin, and it certainly isn't easy. Harder to get finds up without scratching them too.

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread