Who Are the Women of Metal Detection/Treasure Hunting?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Cristasphoto

Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious how many of us are involved in the hobby. I just started in April 2012. Husband and I bought an M6 with the intention that I would use it and he would get another machine. Didn't happen. Turned out to be too heavy for me to use (I am disabled). He uses the detector and I get to hold the goodies! (Best part..:happysmiley:). We like beach hunting, have done cellar holes, parks, schools and highway rest areas. Best find to date: 14kt wedding band (returned to owner). Best keeper: early 1900's Tiffany (?) watch fob.

When did you begin? What machine do you use? Hunt alone or with someone else? Best or favorite find?

Thanks for posting your answers. As I said, I am curious how many of us there are....

HH,

Anita

I was wondering the same thing. Ive been Metal Detecting since I was like 14. I am 33 now. I dont comment much as I dont want to intrude on the guy's hobby. and what not. Ya know gotta give the men their space LOL
But Yea Im All woman and I'm into the hobby...
I started in Georgia. My most memorable finds are an 1800's Pad lock with key. I cleaned it up and it worked. I was like 14, 15...
More recently a childs sterling silver ring, a 1954 Rabies tag. And a local bus token.
of course clad is cool because its pop and milkshake money. I too am disabled and live on SSI so its fun with a bonus, Cash lol
Ive also found Silver jewelry. No gold yet but that ok. I use my trusty ACe 250, Garrett Pinpointer,LEsche Digger and I JUST bought a Black and Decker D Mini SHovel. I LOVE this hobby and mourn over the fact that I dont have the energy to do it more, and since cool kids roll alone I detect alone LOL Honestly though I wish I could find a club or at least a buddy, but oh well thats a life...

Mac232

Aug 18, 2007
Greasy Creek , TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AC1955, It is getting harder to remember but you are #44 since Vietnam to personally thank me. The first was at THE WALL (in '93) by a young man not old enough to yet be alive when I served. It was sad back then. Tnx. Terry
AC , as in Armored Cav ??

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Again Ladies,

If any of you are ever visiting our area; Clearfield County Pennsylvania.....we would welcome you to go along with the PA Ghostown Hunters Group. Just send us an email. We hunt almost every weekend, weather permitting.

To answer Catobra's question....If you look at the Pa Ghostown Group site....you'll see a picture of a larger bear track next to my wife's shoe....it was in a remote area at a place called Gallow's Harbor (yes, people were hung here) and she was by herself and missed this bear by 10-15 minutes. There are also rattlesnakes...see the picture of Motorhead and I holding one at the group site. While my wife doesn't generally hunt entirely alone, she will go off on her own into the woods at the larger ghost towns. She usually has a sidearm .45 cal or .22 mag with snake shot backed up by hollow points. She has a permit to carry and she practices at the range occasionally, so she knows how to use them. With snakes, bears, coyotes etc we believe it's better to be prepared than not. We also have cell phones, gps, silva compass, maps, water and energy bars and walkie-talkies etc. if we are going into a very remote area.

When we hunt as a group and the ladies are along; I bring the motorhome so that we have a nice bathroom, nearby. The guys are always concerned with the safety and well being of the ladies; although I think that they can probably handle themselves pretty well if need be. I certainly wouldn't want to be in my wife's line of fire....I've seen her shoot...and she's pretty good at throwing the frying pan as well!

Cheers
:occasion14:

TICM,
I would second a Ladies of Metal Detecting Calendar!
If we can get some photos of the Ladies engaged in the hobby and permission releases; I have calendar creator software and would put one together and post it for download. What do you think Ladies? Show the guys how to add some style to this hobby?

This would also make a good group site...."The Ladies of TreaureNet". I don't have time to run 2 groups but I'd be willing to help you out and promote your group. Check out my article in the HELP forum on "How to Run a Successful Group on TreasureNet".

Last edited:

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all you women hunters out there, sorry to hijack your thread AC, but I have a question for you girls and figured this might be as good a place as any to put it and get it noticed.

Does anyone hunt the woods or isolated/semi-isolated areas? If yes, are you ever afraid? Do you ever go alone?

Any horror stories or classes you know of to take to learn how to use your detector as a weapon? : )

I actually thought it was safer to go with someone else- until that someone started acting crazy around me. It became pretty dangerous for me and had to put down my detector for a long time. It just wouldnt have been safe if he found me alone somewhere. Fortunately, he's moved away and Ive started hunting again here and there but I still look over my shoulder once in a while. It was quite terrifying for a while. It almost destroyed the hobby for me.

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Again Ladies,

If any of you are ever visiting our area; Clearfield County Pennsylvania.....we would welcome you to go along with the PA Ghostown Hunters Group. Just send us an email. We hunt almost every weekend, weather permitting.

To answer Catobra's question....If you look at the Pa Ghostown Group site....you'll see a picture of a larger bear track next to my wife's shoe....it was in a remote area at a place called Gallow's Harbor (yes, people were hung here) and she was by herself and missed this bear by 10-15 minutes. There are also rattlesnakes...see the picture of Motorhead and I holding one at the group site. While my wife doesn't generally hunt entirely alone, she will go off on her own into the woods at the larger ghost towns. She usually has a sidearm .45 cal or .22 mag with snake shot backed up by hollow points. She has a permit to carry and she practices at the range occasionally, so she knows how to use them. With snakes, bears, coyotes etc we believe it's better to be prepared than not. We also have cell phones, gps, silva compass, maps, water and energy bars and walkie-talkies etc. if we are going into a very remote area.

When we hunt as a group and the ladies are along; I bring the motorhome so that we have a nice bathroom, nearby. The guys are always concerned with the safety and well being of the ladies; although I think that they can probably handle themselves pretty well if need be. I certainly wouldn't want to be in my wife's line of fire....I've seen her shoot...and she's pretty good at throwing the frying pan as well!

Cheers
:occasion14:

TICM,
I would second a Ladies of Metal Detecting Calendar!
If we can get some photos of the Ladies engaged in the hobby and permission releases; I have calendar creator software and would put one together and post it for download. What do you think Ladies? Show the guys how to add some style to this hobby?

This would also make a good group site...."The Ladies of TreaureNet". I don't have time to run 2 groups but I'd be willing to help you out and promote your group. Check out my article in the HELP forum on "How to Run a Successful Group on TreasureNet".

Thanks Treasure Hunter-it seems like you guys have more to worry about than I do in South Jersey and you seem to have everything in order. I've seen rattlesnakes and bear are moving in down here, but I meant more along the lines of human attackers. I'm ok with guns, but don't own one, so that's not an option. I have been exploring the woods forever and sometimes alone, and am usually ok with it, just sometimes I think about what nuts are out there (hey, have you read the postings from some of the people on this website? JOKING?!) and what they are capable of.....just wondering if the other women had the same concerns. Yeah, yeah-if you are scared then go with someone, but sometimes other people are annoying : )

No comment on the calendar-I'll leave that to the young 'uns : )

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually thought it was safer to go with someone else- until that someone started acting crazy around me. It became pretty dangerous for me and had to put down my detector for a long time. It just wouldnt have been safe if he found me alone somewhere. Fortunately, he's moved away and Ive started hunting again here and there but I still look over my shoulder once in a while. It was quite terrifying for a while. It almost destroyed the hobby for me.

Been through that, Bev-well, not in the metal detecting sense, but I think I understand......it sure takes awhile to get over, but it also makes you a lot stronger. Good for you to be out and about again, "Finally Fearless"!

OP
OP
AC1955

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mac232...AC=armored cav? Nope, sorry, just my initials...(I am a Marine Mom, though!).

Anita

OP
OP
AC1955

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calendar...OMG...people will go blind looking at my pin-up! :laughing9:

I only hunt with my husband, so I guess that answer is no, I don't go out alone. We live in the woods (we're on 7 acres of land), in a very small town, so I guess it would be safe enough, but since I can't detect by myself due to my disability, my husband is with me. At 6'5" tall, he is quite the deterrent!

This is turning out to be a very interesting thread. Thanks everyone for posting!

Anita

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's terrible ,i'm sorry, hope your o.k. now, don't let one a##hole ruin a lifelong hobby and keep some pepper spray handy

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calendar...OMG...people will go blind looking at my pin-up! :laughing9:Anita
LOL! That's why I said I'll leave that to the young 'uns!

7 acres! Lucky you guys!

My boyfriend does tag along on my adventures whenever possible, but since I am not working I want to go out on my own during the week.....ugh...."Don't wanna stick to boring old parks!" (said in my worst whiny, woman voice : )

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's terrible ,i'm sorry, hope your o.k. now, don't let one a##hole ruin a lifelong hobby and keep some pepper spray handy

Duh me, what a novel idea-pepper spray! I seriously never thought of that. I need to go get some! Thanks, CWnut!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Catobra.....the pepper spray is some pretty effective stuff. Make sure my daughter and wife carry it. The last thing a person who is sprayed is going to be worried about is assualting a woman. Works great on aggressive dogs as well but does no permanent harm. I get the LE grade which is a little more effective but not illegal to carry ( in TN anyway ) you just can't buy it unless you are in Law Enforcement. Can send you some if not available to you or the other ladies. The LE grade has a much easier means of dispensing as well. The daughter carries it everywhere but is quite the Glock afficionado as well. Helps us teach and has sure hurt some male egos at the range with her Glock 17. Just wish I could get her into the metal detecting. At 18 she has other interest.:BangHead:She is my best bud. :laughing7:

Yep .....I am proud of my girl so gonna show her off.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woops....pic too large and would not upload....was gonna send pic of daughter

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Catobra.....the pepper spray is some pretty effective stuff. Make sure my daughter and wife carry it. The last thing a person who is sprayed is going to be worried about is assualting a woman. Works great on aggressive dogs as well but does no permanent harm. I get the LE grade which is a little more effective but not illegal to carry ( in TN anyway ) you just can't buy it unless you are in Law Enforcement. Can send you some if not available to you or the other ladies. The LE grade has a much easier means of dispensing as well. The daughter carries it everywhere but is quite the Glock afficionado as well. Helps us teach and has sure hurt some male egos at the range with her Glock 17. Just wish I could get her into the metal detecting. At 18 she has other interest.:BangHead:She is my best bud. :laughing7:
Yep .....I am proud of my girl so gonna show her off.

Thanks for the LE tip and you brought up a good point, legality....EVERYTHING is illegal here, so I will need to do a bit of research.....

"She is my best bud" very sweet and it seems you brought her up just fine (well except for the not metal detecting thing, you'll have to do something about that : ) It will take a strong guy to get over the Glock/ego thing, but what woman wants a weak man anyway? : )

Cristasphoto

Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all you women hunters out there, sorry to hijack your thread AC, but I have a question for you girls and figured this might be as good a place as any to put it and get it noticed.

Does anyone hunt the woods or isolated/semi-isolated areas? If yes, are you ever afraid? Do you ever go alone?

Any horror stories or classes you know of to take to learn how to use your detector as a weapon? : )

I hunt alone. AN sometimes I get unerved. BUT Anxiety get me more than fear as when there are strangers around I an concerned about their judgements. But then I get to into worry about anything other than trying retrieve targets.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pepper spray is very effective and a great alternative to deadly force. The NJ laws that Catobra was kind enough to share with us WOULD make it illegal to carry in the dispenser I had in mind but not the small keychain size dispenser. Might want to try hunting in a Ninja outfit to discourage aggression. WOW....self defense is more or less illegal from a little research I just pulled about NJ law. Well at least it is a beautiful state from what I have heard. :laughing7:

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pepper spray is very effective and a great alternative to deadly force. The NJ laws that Catobra was kind enough to share with us WOULD make it illegal to carry in the dispenser I had in mind but not the small keychain size dispenser. Might want to try hunting in a Ninja outfit to discourage aggression. WOW....self defense is more or less illegal from a little research I just pulled about NJ law. Well at least it is a beautiful state from what I have heard. :laughing7:

Yup, I was surprised any of it was legal. Better than nothing though.

Parts of it, yeah-northwest and further south are probably much better than what people think, but scrub New York and Philly areas and most of the shore. TN is really pretty-was there once.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread