Looking for places to go detecting. Please help!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! One of the important factors is location - where are you hunting? If you are looking in local playgrounds or parks, you are looking in the same place as everybody else since 1980. You need to start trying to research places people gathered in the PAST (1870 - 1950). You need to start thinking outside the box, and be prepared to do a little work with your head, not just your machine. Good Luck!

A Few Sites to Get You Started:

1) Old Schools
2) City/Town Parks
3) Circus/Fair Sites
4) Old Churches
5) Old Homestead Sites
6) Swimming Holes and Areas
7) Picnic Groves
8) Athletic Fields
9) Scout Camps
10) Rodeo Arenas
11) Campgrounds
12) Ghost Towns
13) Beaches
14) Old Taverns
15) Roadside Rest Stops
16) Sidewalk Grassy Strips
17) Amusement Parks
18) Rural Mailboxes
19) Reunion Areas
20) Revival sites
21) Fort Sites
22) Winter Sledding Areas
23) Lookout/Overlook Sites
24) Church Supper Groves
25) Fishing Spots
26) Fishing Camps
27) Resorts
28) Old Barns and Outbuildings
29) Battle Sites
30) Band Shells
31) Racetracks
32) Rural Boundary Walls
33) Roadside Fruit and Vegetable Stands
34) Under Seaside Boardwalks
35) Flea Market Areas
36) Ski Slopes
37) Drive Ins
38) Canal Paths
39) Vacant Lots
40) Motels
41) College Campuses
42) Farmer Market Areas
43) Town Squares
44) Urban Yards and Backyards
45) Disaster Sites
46) Areas Around Skating Ponds
47) Hunting Lodges and Camps
48) Mining Camps
49) Railroad Grades, Stations and Junctions
50) Hiking Trails
51) Waterfalls
52) Rural Dance Sites
53) Lover's Lanes
54) Areas Adjacent to Historical Markers
55) Old Gas Stations and General Stores
56) Fence Posts
57) Chicken Houses
58) Bridges and Fords
59) Flower Beds
60) Playgrounds
61) Old Garbage Dumps
62) Cloth Lines
63) Military Camp and Cantonment Sites
64) Wells and Outhouses
65) Abandoned Houses and Structures
66) Areas where Old Trails Cross County or State Boundaries
67) Piles of Scraped Soil at Construction Sites
68) Old Stone Quarries
69) Areas Around Old Abandoned Cemeteries in the Forest
70) Junctions of Abandoned Roads (crossroads)

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
smf399 said:
Hi everyone. I am looking for a good place to go metal detecting anywhere in the US. You don't have to give away your favorite spot but I am kind of new at this hobby and anywhere I could find something old would be great.:metaldetector::metaldetector::metaldetector:

You are aware of researching. Give it a try.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, Love the list. you got a couple in there that I had not thought of .....Thanks.............HH..:thumbsup:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Gunrunner61 said:
Terry, Love the list. you got a couple in there that I had not thought of .....Thanks.............HH..:thumbsup:

There should be a sticky up top so the same question is not asked over and over again.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There should be a sticky up top so the same question is not asked over and over again.

I think adding a page to the site that deals with frequently asked questions would be a good idea. Not anything too specific, but there are a lot of questions that are posted over and over again, so having a page where people could go to get basic info might be a good thing to do. If someone were to go through the various forums and make a list of the most asked questions, and then arrange them on a page with reasonable answers it would probably help a lot of people since they'd be able to get the info quickly. Then if they had more specific questions they could post on the forums for more specific answers... Just a thought.

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry, wow, outstanding list! Only thing I didn't see in there was a mention of my gravel driveway. <lol>

I'm going to save your list as a memory refresher. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet app

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think adding a page to the site that deals with frequently asked questions would be a good idea. Not anything too specific, but there are a lot of questions that are posted over and over again, so having a page where people could go to get basic info might be a good thing to do. If someone were to go through the various forums and make a list of the most asked questions, and then arrange them on a page with reasonable answers it would probably help a lot of people since they'd be able to get the info quickly. Then if they had more specific questions they could post on the forums for more specific answers... Just a thought.

ticm's quote as well-(Why doesn't "Reply with Quote" pick up both quotes?!)

Anyway, agree with a combo of both suggestions. FAQs as stickies at top of all individual forums would be great.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If they did that, site traffic would drop in half over night. Several of the forums are basically the same 10-20 questions asked on repeat.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they did that, site traffic would drop in half over night. Several of the forums are basically the same 10-20 questions asked on repeat.

Ha! Mining humanity's foibles - getting close to politics there! :laughing7:

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No dont do this I like repeating myself over & over!

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
kayden said:
No dont do this I like repeating myself over & over!

There should be a sticky up top so the same question is not asked over and over again!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ticm, stop worrying about questions asked, your not required to answer........

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You see the problem with your question is.......WE ARE ALL LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO DETECT ....... And Terry gave you a answer..... You see some open ground start swinging that detector.... or you see a lake any body of water jump in and start swinging that detector..... For they say 90% ofall you will find is in some body of water........... Well that's what they say i don't know...... I find the same thing every were.... JUNK..................

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Treasure_Hunter said:
Ticm, stop worrying about questions asked, your not required to answer........

What are you talking about? Yep I had to go over this thread. I thought I did something wrong. So I dont get what question I was not required to answer. Ok I had to edit this. now I get it you don't want me to think I have to answer questions that are asked on a open forum.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I replied via PM. You can answer questions, but please don't mock the question or attack the member for not using Google..... If new members want to ask a question that is fine, that is the whole purpose of the forum...... Almost every conceivable question has been asked and most answered at one point or another on the forums..... It would be a very slow and at most times boring forum if members were not here seeking help by asking questions.......

I must have asked Sandman a hundred questions if I asked him one, even though they had been asked many times in the past, but if he hadn't politely answered my questions I would not know half of what I know about beach detecting now...

Last edited:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Treasure_Hunter said:
I replied via PM. You can answer questions, but please don't mock the question or attack the member for not using Google..... If new members want to ask a question that is fine, that is the whole purpose of the forum...... Almost every conceivable question has been asked and most answered at one point or another on the forums..... It would be a very slow and at most times boring forum if members were not here seeking help by asking questions.......

I must have asked Sandman a hundred questions if I asked him one, even though they had been asked many times in the past, but if he hadn't politely answered my questions I would not know half of what I know about beach detecting now...

I replied back to you but you won't take pm. Great! I sent it to Jeff in pa

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Treasure_Hunter said:

Well if any one want to ask me any questions they can pm me any time. So instead of new members having to repeat the same questions over why don't you help them by providing a easy place that they may find the info they are looking for. Just as a example the list of places to hunt listed above is just a great thing for new guys to look at.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread