pros and cons / what detector would you use for silver coins,

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to the topic, the detector to use is the one in your hand. Now where you hunt, can also tell you what you need to hunt. Trashy areas equal small coil and good discrimination if you want to cherry pick. Depth is over rated, most finds are 3" or less. Most detectors do a good job at that depth. Now different types of detectors process signals different. But basically most machines are looking for coin sized targets under a foot in depth. Silver pulls a good signal, but so does tin. So a medium priced detector with discrimination and a VDI meter would be preferred to search with. While I dont own one, I would suggest the AT Pro. I will probably buy one this year to go with my Fisher F75, and Bounty Hunter 202. Two totally different machines. They do different things. I always get the optional coils too. Im not a Brand Name seller. I buy on what I see people use and post their results. Good Luck with the hunt. Im sure you will do well with what ever you choose.

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to the topic, the detector to use is the one in your hand. Now where you hunt, can also tell you what you need to hunt. Trashy areas equal small coil and good discrimination if you want to cherry pick. Depth is over rated, most finds are 3" or less...

All depends on the type of ground your hunting. That may be the case in the hard dry ground out west, but the damp loamy soil I hunt here in the Northeast I frequently dig clad at depths of 6-8". You are right though in the sense that depth is "sometimes" overated. Knowing your machine and good research are definitely the keys to finding good stuff. It doesn't matter how deep you can go if nothing is there to start with.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
ive used many machines but just wanted to hear what detector would be choice without over price ones, thanks

If you have used many machines, you are not a noobles, you would know that any machine is choice for silver, price not withstanding. My 1984 Garrett Freedom II with 6" coil will pull a 6" deep merc like a hog slurpin' up a baby garter snake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread