East Coast beach run

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am off work tomorrow afternoon (wednesday) and don't have to be back at work til Saturday afternoon.
From mid PA, I was thinking about heading out to the east coast shore for detecting (5-6 hour drive), as I am sure there will be a lot of beaches primed with stuff from the ships sunk off the coast.

Maybe a Thursday-Friday road trip.

I have done some adventurous roadtrips for hiking, biking, kayaking, etc., so I have the urge to just get away, especially with my GF working out of town.

I'll probably just sleep in my car as I am sure there is no power/hotels or anything, which is fine with me. I'll just bring food, water, gear, AT-Pro, Etrac, and my mountain bike. I just want to hit the beaches and stay out of everyone's way. I am sure they have a lot of work to do and the storm caused a very big personal tragedy to a lot of people.

I been to Ocean City, MD many times and was thinking about that area in general.

Anyone from down that area?
Anyone else going out?
Thoughts?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You do realize that a lot of beaches are closed, power lines are down, people have lost the homes, etc., etc.?

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are alot of them closed and be careful they don't try and get you for lutting. lol they would probably try to.. hh be careful I wishedd I lived closer to the east coast I'd hit the beaches also there will be alot of curned up stuff from the bottom of the ocean...

OP
OP
Viddy

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going to hit an area away from the 'commercial zones'. My focus is to stay away from everyone. I don't plan on climbing over beach house rubble to detect under what's left of the OC fishing pier...LOL.
That's why I M taking my mountain bike and gear. Park the car and bike out to a remote area where a conglomerate of ships have gone down off the coast are using a great GPS Android app, Sat-Trac imaging, and historical overlays...

thanks for the replies and I will be careful.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seriously dude? Why don't you do the emergency workers and clean up crews a favor and stay the heck out of these devestated areas until they are deemed safe? You'll be just one more idiot in the way - and for what? You want to hurt our hobby? Go on down there and get yourself on TV as "That Guy." You know, the one none of us want to be. Are you really that clueless, or just completely insensitive to what just happened on the coastline? Even if you were dumb enough to do this, why would you POST that you are going to do it?

I wish I could tell you how I really feel, but I'll be cutting more trees off my neighbors homes, and trying to find our wedding pictures in what used to be the first floor of our beach home on Long Island Sound, so I'm a little too preoccupied right now..

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Sorry to hear you got hit hard. Made out ok in the Bronx. Our waterfront houses got hit hard. If you need help this weekend, let me know. Daniel V.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear you got hit hard. Made out ok in the Bronx. Our waterfront houses got hit hard. If you need help this weekend, let me know. Daniel V.

Thank You Dan! Your offer is appreciated, and helped to calm me down. We have a lot of help and family up in Milford, CT, so I'm good.

Viddy, I apologize for being so personally insulting to you. I guess I'm still dealing with my own problems right now and I projected that on to you. Just try an stay out of the way, and don't get yourself hurt. - Terry

deepsky48

Greenie
Sep 13, 2011
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and AT Pro
I was going to go to DELMARVA ...BUT....Too risky for getting gas. Power outages all over the DELMARVA. Plus the penninsula has multiple places to be "turned back from". The Del. Seashore park is closed till further notice. The park does NOT allow metal detectors during closed time and CONFISCATION is the consequence.
It is jut not worth the 1000 mile trip under those conditions. I know from experience that you must live in the area to be truly successful. In Florida I drove 160 miles round trip numerous times in a 2 yr. period from Sebring to Ft. Pierce / Vero bch area only to come back with a few clad coins. After moving to the Palm Beach area, and after studying the wave /tide patterns for 2 weeks solid, did I start finding ...and I DO MEAN finding excessive $$$$$$worth of spanish and modern coins and lots of great Jewelry (too bad gold was only $200 / oz.). I may try in Del. this weekend IF they open but certainly not after. Sand that has eroded from a beach is usually redeposited after 2 weeks worth of tide changes and looks like a hump about mid-beach. To find the Gold Guineas, you will need to be in the water but Delaware has a provision in the rules that keeps you from legally keeping anything you find that has a historical signiicance and that is up to interpretation.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Actually, DE is a finders keeper state. That was found out when the historical stuff came out on the beach during dredging operations. I know, I was there helping the museum. I might go down this Saturday if the weather clears a bit and the beach is open. I will try Indian River Inlet first and then maybe Lewis. it is only about 150 miles from me and I can get there and back on 3/4 tank. I will stay in the MH which is stocked with food so I don't see any problems. Hay viddy, I have an extra bed, but you have to like dogs. I usually park on the Home Depot lot in Lewis overnite. Frank

Attachments

• 300MH.jpg
    300MH.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry---Wished I had the words to explain the feelings I had when the helicopters started showing the damage you folks had. Just seeing that made me freeze up in front of the TV for an hour. Standing. Not even Katrina impacted me as much. Never seen damage like that. Just don't know what to say except I agree with you. Can not understand why any MD'er could swing those beaches in front of houses where families have had their lives completely ruined.

OP
OP
Viddy

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lot of people already hitting Ocean City beaches. Baltimore Gazette or something has people on it, and I was watching a live feed and it had 4 detectorists in the backgorund and I was like 'hey! I wonder if any of those guys are on the forums?!?!'

I am hitting some remote areas that you actually have to hike into. last thing I want to do is hear the BEEP BEEP BEEP! of heavy equipment clearing debris as I am hunting...

OP
OP
Viddy

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NP Terry... don't worry about it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are alot of them closed and be careful they don't try and get you for lutting. lol they would probably try to.. hh be careful I wishedd I lived closer to the east coast I'd hit the beaches also there will be alot of curned up stuff from the bottom of the ocean...

there has to be beaches where homes don't exist in the area, like AC's boardwalk. or even along roadways.
I wouldn't risk arrest, but can they really accuse you of looting anything from a beach where there are no
homes or their remains within sight, other then maybe getting there and finding something good before them?

and what about Community service ?
offer to scour the beaches during cleanup and turn everything in that's obviously not been there
for 60 days for inspection other then coins of course which can be I.d.'d too easy.
Ah the storm took my 2010 quarter !

Last edited:

Grizzly13

Sep 22, 2012
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac/Sunray Probe. Garrett 2500/garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its a damn shame of the disasters people have suffered in this storm and mostly the loss of life. But it amazes me when they say we will rebuild ! What, on a plie of sand next to a Ocean again? My tax money is going to bail out these people so they can sit on thier porches and enjoy the waves until the next storm comes along and takes their home again. Havent we learned anything from all mighty mother nature ? My taxes , my insurance the price of fuel the price of lumber? But I wouldn't want to be a prude and tell them that if they want a new home on the lump of sand next to the ocean to go for, but THEY ARE ON THEIR OWN.
Hey have at it as long as it doesnt effect me. And now that a tax payer wants to go down their and take up what ever they want to do all of the sudden we should stay away ! How about staying away from the assistance we give in Federal Taxes ? Sorry but the practical solution is dont build homes where they shouldnt be built, unless you can handle mother nature. And dont come crying to me about your hardship because you lost a summer home. I dont mean to sound like a a--, but its mostly common sense that mother nature is always going to win ! Viddy enjoy and be careful, you might even end up helping someone there.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grizzly, your post might be better understood a month later but right now, it's pretty insensitive!

I somewhat agree with what you're saying but your timing is WAY OFF!!!!!!!

People affected by Sandy need good vibes sent to them right now.

Peace.

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, E-TRAC, ProFind25, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in jersey and i'm addicted to md'ing and would love to hit the beaches, but the reality is we are devastated by what has happened. There's no way i could bring myself to go near a beach when all this is going on. Not to mention you probably would get stoned to death by practically anyone that saw you, let alone the police. You probably wouldn't even be able to get near most beaches regardless with all the closed roads. Also most of the areas that were hit by Sandy have very limited gas stations. A station near me sold a full tanker load in less than 8 hours with minimum 2 1/2 hour waiting and I live in north jersey.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think what the guys that are heading to DE to work the beach mean is to hunt barren areas" no buildings". Indian river inlet is a State Park. The beach in Lewis does not have houses next to it. There have been wrecks offshore that wash up on the beach after a storm and vanish in about a week. Let them enjoy themselves.
About 13 years ago my home,car, and MH burned. It was a sad event for me, but my goal was to get back on my feet. I didn't have FEMA storming out to help. It was a bootstrap recovery. I didn't expect the world to stop turning and wait up for me. Sure you feel sorry for those that lost their home, but in reality we form our own environment and must reside with it. We must take responsibility for the decisions that we make like having property in a questionable area. As mentioned above, we harvest the benefits of the location and must accept the flaws of the location also. You have to be realistic about life. Frank

Attachments

• rose on ice 700 this one.jpg
    rose on ice 700 this one.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Grizzly13

Sep 22, 2012
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Muddyhandz, I apoligize if anyone is offended with how I feel. I have been hit and lost everything to a flood. I also have friends and family at the Jersey Shore, but I'm being honest and practical. We as free US citizens enjoy the finest of things and in a way we are spoiled. I was born and raised on a dairy farm in NJ and had to work hard with my hands and my back my whole life, nothing and I mean nothing is taken for granted with me. But you have to understand the geographical delusion of what we are facing in building in a flood plane ? Do I feel for these people , ofcourse I do, especially who lost love ones. This is why it hits me so hard when they say we will rebuild ! What so we can watch it repeat itself another day? I love the beach, I love walking the beach on and warm summer evening but we are supposed to be the smartest of all that lives on this earth also. I went out tuesday and cut dozens of trees on my road so emergency vehicals could navigate in case someone needed them. I'm the first to help anyone, but I will also be the first to tell you that there are alot of people out there that have more money then common sense. I tried to get through a few other roads to get to work on wed and there were trees all over the place blocking all routes! Who are we waiting for? DOT ? FEMA ? PRIVATE CONTRACTORS ? Two days and no one has even come out of their houses to help themselves. Come on we the people need to take some responsibility in what we do. This whole conversation started over someone having a day off and wanting to enjoy it. We sometimes make it hard on ourselves. WHY ? I guess I'm different.

Grizzly13

Sep 22, 2012
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nicely said Frankn. Thumbs up to your recovery !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread