Ivory jewelry

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kinds of pieces? I might be interested, if the price is right. How about some pics?

OP
OP
kitkat420

kitkat420

Nov 30, 2012
capt-zero said:
What kinds of pieces? I might be interested, if the price is right. How about some pics?

image-726745542.jpg

Here is a pic of a brooch I have, I will take pics if the other items and send as well. Hopeful I did it right.

Attachments

• image-2841551194.jpg
    image-2841551194.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 290
OP
OP
kitkat420

kitkat420

Nov 30, 2012
Here is more, a beaded necklace, I tried to get it close enough to see the lines, a ring and majong bracelet. I also have other rings and earrings that are whiter in color with gold wrapping, looking for them now.

image-2122138941.jpg

Attachments

• image-1286914558.jpg
    image-1286914558.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 279
  • image-3079189615.jpg
    image-3079189615.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 238
  • image-3932860493.jpg
    image-3932860493.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 207

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow,,, get them valued, but where would be the question :)
Good luck :)

OP
OP
kitkat420

kitkat420

Nov 30, 2012
Chips said:
Wow,,, get them valued, but where would be the question :)
Good luck :)

I know!!! That's the issue, one place asked that I send them in for them to evaluate, but I am not real comfortable with that since I have heard horror stories and claims of items not being received etc. the brooch is OLD. I have a picture of my great grandmother when she was maybe 40 years old wearing it. I live in PA and I haven't been able to find a place that can value it here

OP
OP
kitkat420

kitkat420

Nov 30, 2012
dandan13 said:
Don't you wanna keep it? Are you sure?

Honestly, I am in the tail end of a nasty divorce, And have been going through the boxes, many boxes if things I have inherited and trying to sell what I can to a) afford my lawyer and b) have se cash set aside to move ahead with. There is always some sentimental value with everything, but I have BOXES of stuff!!! I'm a simple person, and don't really have the appreciation for a lot of things others would. Jewelry, regardless of the type, is just not my thing. Now, if I had boxes of Louis Vuitton purses. That's a whole other story, lol, shoes and purses are all me, jewelry, not so much and when u tell you I have boxes, I literally have Boxes full of it. So, I'm sure. Lol

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, in the present economic situation, I haven't had as much luck in selling ivory as one would expect. Of course I dont use feebay and mostly sell on craigslist. However, if the jewelry were mine, I probably wouldn't sell the nicer pieces. The more plain pieces, like the necklace you show, I generally get about $25-$30 for. If you do use feebay, be advised they prohibit the sale of ivory, you have to use a coded description, like ox-bone while the photos clearly show that it is actually not. Sale prices there generally don't exceed the prices I mentioned, except for exceptional pieces. The picture of my okimono below I picked up for $17 plus shipping.

DSCN0692.JPG

The okimono is the fisherman standing in the photo and is made of walrus ivory and about 100 years old.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, I am in the tail end of a nasty divorce, And have been going through the boxes, many boxes if things I have inherited and trying to sell what I can to a) afford my lawyer and b) have se cash set aside to move ahead with.

Thank god I'm here with the best advise you'll ever get :headbang:

1- Most women don't get raked over the coals in a divorce, so any breathing attorney should work.
2- Save those trinkets for your future :tongue3:
3- Get yourself a sugar daddy, you'll make an excellent Trophy wife :icon_thumright:

There, all of your problems are solved :laughing7:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so poor I can't pay attention, but I'm still game :laughing9:

P.S. It's still the best advise you'll ever get from here :laughing7:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Lol, hmmmm.

Ok, any takers?
Well :icon_scratch: .... I could try to convince my wife that you are a relative that needs a place to stay until she decides to leave :icon_scratch:
SNAP! That ain't going to work . Mebbie you should just hang on to the ivory until times improve .
*Note(That Spartacus might be fun to play with ; but , you wouldn't want to take him to raise .)
>>>>>>that was for Ben , Spart :tongue3:

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you like toothless old men? The only difference between me and a raisin is that while we are both wrinkled and without a prostate, the raisin never had a prostate to begin with.

In reguards to the jewelry, I think the auction idea was the best. In these economic times just don't expect the kind of return you might get with silver or gold. Check out the price range on Esty to get an idea on how much it's selling for. It's a shame you don't live here in Texas, I know a couple of collectors I could introduce you to; other than penniless me that is. You could run a tryout ad in Craigslist and see if you get some decent nibbles, that's how I met the collectors I know.

OP
OP
kitkat420

kitkat420

Nov 30, 2012
I LOVE toothless old men!! Makes cooking a breeze and lowers the dental costs, lol. My best friend lives in Texas, about an hour north of San Antonio.
I don't know any collectors here in PA, or anywhere for that matter. How close are you with your collector friends? Maybe you can show them the pics? If you could I will promise to make you a real tasty batch of grits....yummmmmm

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well :icon_scratch: .... I could try to convince my wife that you are a relative that needs a place to stay until she decides to leave :icon_scratch:
SNAP! That ain't going to work . Mebbie you should just hang on to the ivory until times improve .
*Note(That Spartacus might be fun to play with ; but , you wouldn't want to take him to raise .)
>>>>>>that was for Ben , Spart :tongue3:

Thanks, you were being kind. Ben would have found this thread and been a little sicker :tongue3:

Like Butch and I say, try to hold onto them until the economy turns a bit and get a better return, if possible.

An auction isn't a bad idea, but if you don't have the right crowd, you won't make anything on them. You'll also have to give a percentage to the auctioneer. I hate giving my money to other people, unless I'm guaranteed a great return :tongue3:

I wouldn't steer you wrong, I'm a driver Ed teacher :icon_thumright: OK, I lied :tongue3:

So, babydoll, sugarface, honeypie, sweet thing, wathca doin this weekend :dontknow: :laughing7:

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kitkat420,

If you could PM me some detailed close-up pics and descriptions, I'll be happy to forward them and see if we could do something for you long distance. Instead of grits, I'm more of a creme broulet, chocolate mousse kind of guy, hence the thoothlessness.

p.s. include a coin in the pics for size comparisons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions