PENNYS AND NICKELS WORTH MORE MELTED DOWN

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
WASHINGTON -- Given rising metal prices, the pennies and nickels in your pocket are worth more melted down than their face value. That has the government worried.

U.S. Mint officials said Wednesday they were putting into place rules prohibiting the melting down of 1-cent and 5-cent coins. The rules also limit the number of coins that can be shipped out of the country.

"We are taking this action because the nation needs its coinage for commerce. We don't want to see our pennies and nickels melted down so a few individuals can take advantage of the American taxpayer," Mint Director Edmund Moy said in a statement.

Officials said they had received a number of inquiries from the public in recent months concerning the value of the metal in the coins and whether it was legal to melt them.

The new regulations prohibit the melting of 1-cent and 5-cent coins, with a penalty of up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000 for people convicted of violating the rule.

The rules also require that shipments of the coins out of the country be for legitimate coinage and numismatic purposes and cap the size of any one shipment to $100 worth of the coins.

Because of the prevailing prices of copper, zinc and nickel, the cost of producing pennies and nickels exceeds the face value of the coins.

A nickel is 25 percent nickel and 75 percent copper. The metal in one coin costs 6.99 cents for each 5-cent coin. When the Mint's cost of producing the coins is added, the total cost for each nickel is 8.34 cents.

Modern pennies have 2.5 percent copper content with zinc making up the rest of the coin. The current copper and zinc in a penny are worth 1.12 cents. The cost of production drives the cost of each penny up to 1.73 cents.

Pennies made before 1982, which are still in circulation, would be even more lucrative to melt down because they contain 95 percent copper and only 5 percent zinc. The metal value in those coins is 2.13 cents per coin, Mint officials said.

The new regulations are being published in the Federal Register and will go into effect as interim rules which will not become final until the government has a chance to consider possible modifications based on public comments

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some interesting information GDaddy...I wish the mint would stop producing the one cent coin - totally worthless - the economy could do withtout the penny, just round everything up a few cents.

I don't like the paper dollar bill either, I wish they would go strictly coins for the dollar - the paper bills clutter up your wallet/purse and just get in the way of real money.

I'd also like to see a $500.00 dollar bill - now THAT would pack a punch!

Thanks for listening...Night Stalker

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 15 years i have dug up about $200.00 dollars in pennies. never thought of melting them down. ;)

T

TheDetectorist

aa battery said:
In 15 years i have dug up about $200.00 dollars in pennies. never thought of melting them down. ;)

Then you never read what Exanimo said oh so many years back!

TD

kd8hf

Nov 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Classic ID
Isn't that a supprise, that it costs the man more to make the coin than it's worth. :)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kd8hf said:
Isn't that a supprise, that it costs the man more to make the coin than it's worth. :)
Now your getting it.It sounds criminal doesn't it? I mean what's wrong with this picture? How long are we supposed to put up with an inept form of government that continually wastes so much of our money? The U.S.Mint and the Treasury should be held accountable.But we know the culprit is the Federal Reserve.Actually the Federal Reserve isn't even a government entity,it's privately owned! Check it out! http://www.worldnewsstand.net/today/articles/fedprivatelyowned.htm .I also recommend that you read "The Creature From Jekyll Island" by G.Edward Griffin.It's a very interesting read!

S

sendin

So metals prices take a dip at the end of the week. Propping up the dollar are we? By sellling some metal are we? Be interesting to see who the sellers are. Gee, seems like that might last for a week or two. I think there are some buyers out there these days. I'm not going to get any options, but kind of sounds like it might be a fun ride for some astute traders in the metals markets over the next month or two.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I recall the time when it was against the Law to melt down silver coins.
Peg leg

D

damz68

diggummup said:
kd8hf said:
Now your getting it.It sounds criminal doesn't it? I mean what's wrong with this picture? How long are we supposed to put up with an inept form of government that continually wastes so much of our money? The U.S.Mint and the Treasury should be held accountable.But we know the culprit is the Federal Reserve.Actually the Federal Reserve isn't even a government entity,it's privately owned! Check it out! http://www.worldnewsstand.net/today/articles/fedprivatelyowned.htm .I also recommend that you read "The Creature From Jekyll Island" by G.Edward Griffin.It's a very interesting read!

They more than make up for it with the paper money. What is it like 7 cents worth of material in each bill, Weather it is a one or a hundred! As cheap as the penny is made today I am surprsed at reading this.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
damz68 said:
diggummup said:
kd8hf said:

They more than make up for it with the paper money. What is it like 7 cents worth of material in each bill, Weather it is a one or a hundred! As cheap as the penny is made today I am surprsed at reading this.
Good Point! :)

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I've been reading numerous articles saying that the value of our money is dropping and the price of Gold always shows the opposite of what the economy is doing. I guess it's just getting to the point of almost 'hopelessness' for those who are keeping up with the information regarding coinage and other types of money. It seems that since this site is focused on the finding of lost money and treasure, we keep up to date on it the best. Hopefully these changes in our economy are provoking a lot of the TH'ers on T-Net to assess and regroup their plans for the future. I believe the investing in precious metals and the methods of acquiring them will become priceless as more time passes. Treasure Hunting can provide an endless amount of monetary security if enough time, study, and patience is invested into it... though I'm afraid that this will also destroy the historical value of the coins and metals found by us in the future. Guess we'll just have to invent different ways to maintain the foundation by which each of us live.

Bran <><

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
It is getting so bad that here in Oklahoma, when meth heads or other such bottom feeders move out of rental housing, they strip all copper pipe and fittings from it when they go. People have been caught stealing fixtures from churches, and bronze and other statuary as well.

War time economy, ya know.

I for one do not want to see the penny done away with. I would like to see another "war era" steel penny issue.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iv'e got a bucket that has about 5000 zinc pennies that are so badly corroded that
most of them have lost 10% to 50% of there weight. Almost all of them dug in parks and salt water beaches. Any ideas on what to do with this 20 pound mess?

kd8hf

Nov 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Classic ID
Sonoma,

Can you try to tumble them? They may still look ok to use again. Good Luck:)

Gary

mech

Jun 4, 2006
St Petersburg, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Sonoma County Mike said:
Iv'e got a bucket that has about 5000 zinc pennies that are so badly corroded that
most of them have lost 10% to 50% of there weight. Almost all of them dug in parks and salt water beaches. Any ideas on what to do with this 20 pound mess?

I would put em in rolls and deposit them in your bank account ;) let the bank worry about it.

I did find this page about mutilated currency .. cant find anything about coin tho but I wouldnt think it is any different.

http://www.moneyfactory.gov/section.cfm/8/39

cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread