New here. Help would be Great.

D

detecting4fun

???hello! i am new to this site..and i haven't detected in a couple years. in the past Ive found some decent stuff ..and now I'm getting back into detecting again. okay so i recently purchased a NEW GARRETT TREASURE ACE 300 METAL DETECTOR.

I'm wondering how suitable this is going to be for treasure hunting i know its not as expensive as other models but like is said I'm getting back into detecting and like some personal info on how dependable this detector will be and if its quality will be good enough.

..it will be coming in the mail in 1-2 days!
any help or advise would be awesome. thanks, stephen.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
D4f,

welcome to the board.

Hope to be seeing some of your posts.

Hope they are not in bold. ;D ;)

have a good un.........

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what others have had to say about it, some good, none really bad. It's probably an ok machine. http://www.tomstreasures.com/garrettreviews.html. Yeah, easy on the bold type there, it can be a little disconcerting. We save that for the times we find gold goblets full of Seated Liberties and such, what ya call sparingly ;).

HH,
Ramapirate

OP
OP
D

detecting4fun

sorry for the bold. haha
i guess i have some learning to do on here.
i hope i can find some good stuff though!
this looks like a great site.

JT2

Aug 9, 2006
Concord MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Tectin!

One of the first few things I'd recommend doing is to learn your machine's pinpointing. Put an object on the ground, learn how the pinpoint works, and see how much you can detune the coil by pressing pinpoint closer and closer to the object.

I don't know what the difference between the 250 and 300 is, but there are a lot of informative posts here on the 250. I'd also recommend getting a pinpoint probe as it saves a lot of time looking for the dirt-covered object in the hole.

OP
OP
D

detecting4fun

thanks for the help! i hope buying this one was'nt a mistake! ..but im guessing it should work fine. and ill use those tips! 8)

Kimber23539

Dec 6, 2006
Crestview, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I was looking at the Treasure Ace 300 too until I read that the Ace 250 replaced it ???. Is that true?? Anyway, I decided on the Ace 250 due to the great reviews on here as well as other articles I read while doing research. I agree about the pinpoint probe, I think I'll be getting one of those myself!

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting4fun,
This is the best metal detecting site that you will ever find. If it had not been for it, my enthusiasm level wouldn't be anywhere near as high as it is. I stay stoked for mding by reading post and seeing pictures on here of what others have found. And pretty much no matter what you are using (I use a Garrett Ace 250) there is someone else on here using the same thing and finding stuff and telling you how they found it. This is like family on here, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have been.

HH,
Ramapirate

button

Greenie
Nov 6, 2006
COLORADO
Detector(s) used
Eagle Spectrum
Welcome aboard D4F! Don't know much about your 300,
but any machine will find stuff for ya. Just gotta know your
detector as good as possible. Good luck and happy hunting.
This forum is exactly what you need to get back up to speed.
Lots of great people who really enjoy helping each other....Bill

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
I can tell you about the Ace 300, but you may not like it. I had one for my very first machine, bought it used off Ebay, so it may have been a stinker and thats why it was on Ebay. As far as the 300 vs the 250, apples and oranges. The 300 is older Garrett technology, the 250 is brand new technology and has a lot more whiz bang gizmos on it. I question why in the world they kept the "Ace" moniker for the decector because it is quite different and a big step up from the 300. Why didn't they name the 250 the "Ace" 400 ??? I have no clue.

Back to the 300. I found that it lacked depth. About 4 inches is the max I could get out of mine on a dime laying on the ground with a reliable meter ID, unless you turned the DISC way down but then you pick up every pulltab and bit of trash too. Deeper than that, the machine would give infrequent beeps when I passed over it. The treasure eye thing was useless. I found 'X'ing the target to work a lot better to pinpoint. It has a single tone, not multi toned like the 150 and 250. Think it comes with an 8" cross fire coil.

Now the good. It's a light machine and doesn't suck the juice on batteries. I also found my very first fired .69 minie ball with it.

If yours turns out to be a lemon like mine was, don't give up. Play with it a while and see how you like detecting, then upgrade. The 250 is light years ahead and has gotten rave reviews.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread