coil cover ?

scoremaster

Jan 2, 2013
western md
Detector(s) used
garrett 250 and new this year at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heloo ladies and gents i have a question to ask it's not to crazy but one i'm sure people haven't asked to much for the simple reason that i am afraid of asking lol.
i am brand new to md so new that my ace 250 just arrived in the mail today so i am just that new .
my question is the coil covers that are availiable for the coils are they there for a single purpose or is it double sided meaning that it is there to protect the coil in transport and also leaveing it oon while detecting to protect the bottom of the coil .
also here comes another question will it do anything nas far as reception of the detectors ablity to detect to depth ..

wow sorry for the questions but someone has to do it and it may as well be me .
not i just have to wait for the snow to leave western maryland then i will be good to go.

good hunting,
Scott

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does not affect your depth or sensitivity at all. Put it on and Use it all the time. Take it off once a month and make sure no dirt or sand is inside between the coil and cover. Good Luck!

Attachments

• vvv 001.jpg
    vvv 001.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 224
OP
OP
S

scoremaster

Jan 2, 2013
western md
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks terry the image that you show in the picture is what i was thinking about when i asked the question . would hate for that to happen and i read that it happened like 10 minutes out of the box oh i would cry like a baby then be mad as a hornet lol.
thank you for your time .

happy hunting,
Scott

birdhouse

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2013
Somerset County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Never used one before
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heloo ladies and gents i have a question to ask it's not to crazy but one i'm sure people haven't asked to much for the simple reason that i am afraid of asking lol.
i am brand new to md so new that my ace 250 just arrived in the mail today so i am just that new .
my question is the coil covers that are availiable for the coils are they there for a single purpose or is it double sided meaning that it is there to protect the coil in transport and also leaveing it oon while detecting to protect the bottom of the coil .
also here comes another question will it do anything nas far as reception of the detectors ablity to detect to depth ..

not i just have to wait for the snow to leave western maryland then i will be good to go.

good hunting,
Scott

Great question Scott. I don’t even have one yet and was wondering if I should order a cover when I finally order one.

OP
OP
S

scoremaster

Jan 2, 2013
western md
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well after seeing the chip out of the coil and spending money to get me a new detector hoping it will last me for awhile before i have to upgrade or replace i figured i would try to make it last as long as possiable .
am trying to check on some leads for the french indian war that was here in western maryland i think i can gain some access to private land where a few of the camps were that might make for some good finds if noone has been there before ( but i'm sure they have ). so maybe the snow should stay cause i hope to set the woods on fire when i get a chance to get the detector out lol.

Scott

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
If you can't stand a scratch on your coil, use a cover. If you are banging rocks, use a cover. If you live in a household where all family members must throw a dollar in the four-letter-word swearing jar every time they say a four-letter swear word, especially words beginning in F and ending in K, get a twenty spot out when you begin the wonderful task of removing your frikken coil cover. I just hack saw em and break em off with pliers and never look back. But that's just me, a lot of people like their covers.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In general I use coil covers. My old 6000 D came without a cover and the bottom of the coil is quite scratched up and I would guess is getting a bit thin in spots from all the ground rubbing it used to get and that is why I use coil covers. I do not notice any problems from having the cover on the coil. Terry's picture is an obvious answer...........63bkpkr

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The coil cover can cause false readings if something gets inside. To me they would be just another bother while detecting. You have to realize you are swinging an electronic instrument, not a brush whip. I scan about 1 inch above the ground and NEVER use a coil cover. I have never damaged a coil in my 40+ years of detecting and that covers detecting in sand, in the desert, around rocks in the mountains and in swamps. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hay gleaner, we both see the light! This is just another money making accessory for dealers. Just think about it!! If you go around banging rocks because you think the cover is protecting you, think again! You are doing internal damage to the coil that is far worse than a few scratches. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
..I scan about 1 inch above the ground and NEVER use a coil cover..

Just imagine all of the gold and silver you have missed over the last 40-years, by just one-inch Frankn.

Coil covers are protection devices, period. They not only protect the coil, but your investment. I sell my machines used every two-years, and always get top retail value for them because I take very good care of them. My coils look as new as the day I got them, and that reflects on the rest of the machine. If your neighbor's truck is always dirty and scratched up, you can bet the oil hasn't been changed regularly and that the tires are out of balance. If you spray crap on your coil or worse, don't protect it at all, there is a 67-percent chance you don't take the batteries out when you store it, or just leave it in the cold and hot trunk all year.

You can play Frisbee with most coils and not hurt them or throw them out of balance Frankn, so hitting a rock once in a while or scrubbing the ground will not affect a coil at all. It is the connections and the control box you need to keep from shocking.

sanddigger

Mar 25, 2012
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
beach hunter 300
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi, So you spend some Good Money for your Detector... About a Coil Cover , a Cover may cost let say $ 10-15.00 If I was You I would go out and Get a Cover for my Coil , the coil cost alot More, then $ 10.00 aout 1/2 the cost of your New Detector.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Terry, when you hit a rock with some coils, the wiring rubs together. Over time this causes false target signals.
I don't sell my detectors. I only buy high quality detectors and use them forever. My PI is raw power and goes deeper than I usually want to dig. My XLT goes deeper than I want to dig usually and will pick one piece of #6 shot and it is 12 years old. I am not hung up on the latest and greatest virus. I have a used Hays 2 Box that will go down at least 6' for a cache. that's good enough for me. We look at detectors from two different points of view. You from a sales point of view and me from a usage point of view. To each his own point of view. Frank

6 06-2 YELLOWSTONE 004-1.jpg PS, I don't play frisbee with my coils.
Yes the 13 year old pickup is dirty and has rust spots, but it runs great and has had the oil and filter changed every 3k for it's 130K miles.
Maybe you should switch brands if you have to worry about 1" of depth loss. Hay! you started! not me. Frank

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Sanddigger, I have Used My XLT for 12+ years and the coil works as good as new. Now how many coil covers at $10 will you have to buy in 12 years? And how many times will you have to remove it and clean it and your coil? So you see you would have spent far more than me plus dealing with the aggravation of false signals when it gets dirty. Something to think about. Frank
PS, I haven't replaced a coil in 40+ years of detecting.

hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont like coil covers, they trap dirt and water, and add weight. Coil covers are like car bra's that were a big fad in the eighties. But you cannot deny, they do keep your coil all shiny and new, and that is a good thing, especially when you are banging rocks real hard like.

dutch-man

Greenie
Jan 17, 2013
Almelo , NL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

good hunting,
Scott

when i bought the ace 250 , i made myself this coil cover , used it almost daily for 4 months .
than i sold the 250 , and became a very good price , because the coil looks like new.
coil cover.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread