safety
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: safety

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2013
    4 times

safety

hey guys and gals been detecting since I was 12 and I'm 24 now so not a noob but still have a lot to learn .my question today is have any of you ever came accross snakes during hunts and what do you do to protect youurself from bites .or any advise on overall safety for woods detecting .thanks

I always go deeper

us
    Jan 2011
    Dalton,Ga.
    Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
    458 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I've been doing this Almost as long as you been alive,
    And can honestly say that I have never run up on a
    snake while Mding! Seriously!! I ran up one two on the course, And thats it...My hunting buddy of years says
    that I move so slow that I give the snakes time to hear
    me and to get the H%^^ outta the way!lol............HH
    austin likes this.

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
    -Samuel Adams-

us
    Apr 2012
    Mid-Missouri
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett Ace 350 Garrett Pro Pointer
    76 times
    I've not seen much while detecting, but have seen plenty over the years while arrowhead hunting. I usually sneak up close & take pictures. As long as I know where they are & they know where I am, it's okay. In the case that I feel threatened (which never happens. Not from snakes anyway), I carry a pistol.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	milk snake.jpg 
Views:	580 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	753992

Name:	milk snake1.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	753993
    arnofarrell and dieselram94 like this.

us
    Apr 2012
    Mid-Missouri
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett Ace 350 Garrett Pro Pointer
    76 times
    BTW, this is just a milk snake. It's harmless, but colorful.

us
    The Beard "WP"

Feb 2012
    North West Iowa
    Bounty Hunter
    264 times
    I love snakes and that milk snake is beautiful. Around where I live there is a rare chance of ever encountering a rattle snake but we do have snakes that I like to catch. My friend is actually deathly afraid of snakes which is funny because he is a big guy with tattoos all down his arms and a shaved head. Anyways the foundation of his house is home to a colony of snakes, just garter snakes but he is still scared. Me and a friend go out to his place in the spring and summer and pick them up and relocate them to my farm.

But as to your question I have a friend who goes antelope hunting each year and he bought a pair of snake bite boots because of the rattle snakes. There are boots and chaps that are snake proof, that I know for sure.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Nov 2006
    Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
    51 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Snakes haven't been a problem for me, but twice I dug up bee's nests. Since I am allergic and was stung multple times I ended up going to the ER. Bee's nests (especially hornets) seem to be especially numerous in urban woods.... and the bees in those nests are the meanest!!!! HH M.

us
    The Beard "WP"

Feb 2012
    North West Iowa
    Bounty Hunter
    264 times
    Growing up my dad and I would pour gas down hornet and holes and burn them.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Jul 2012
    168 times
    Snakes hearing is based through feeling vibrations in the ground. If you walk heavily and move slowly, the chances of suprising one is greatly reduced. On thing to bear in mind, when dealing with snakes, is that no snake can strike further than 1/3 it's length. So, for a six foot rattler, more than two foot away and you are safe. I am facinated by snakes and have lived around them many times during my life. Snake bites are rare and deaths for the same are more rare than lightning strikes.
    Last edited by capt-zero; Mar 07, 2013 at 06:41 AM. Reason: speeling

us
    May 2012
    York, PA
    Whites DFX
    750 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    This picture is from a couple months ago. There were two. They are harmless garter snakes.

Name:	image-287609477.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	597.7 KB 
ID:	754037

Gary
    LinkHylian likes this.

us
    Jan 2013
    Kalamazoo co. MI
    1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers a family adventure!!
    650 times
    Metal Detecting
    Yes a few times, not too often unless i am field hunting.

us
    May 2012
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Garrett AT Pro
    117 times
    Metal Detecting
    With the ticks, poison ivy and possibility of snakes here in North Carolina, I avoid searching in the woods in the summer.
    dig kzoo likes this.

us
    Jan 2013
    DELCO, Pa
    xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
    66 times
    No snakes while MDing because of how slow I move. I've seen plenty walking to and from sites. If you have poisonous snakes in your area-just watch stepping over logs and rocks or walking quickly through brush and tall grass.
    30 yrs of MDing for me-never was close enough to get bit-even once while MDing.

us
    Jul 2012
    Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
    Fisher f75 Teknetics Omega 8000 (Coming soon) Minelab Equinox 800 Have owned Minela b Safari and X terra 705
    1469 times
    All -- esp.Colonial
    That's encouraging news from everyone-thanks!

Feb 2013
    4 times
    Thanks to all for their answers and advise.hopefully i will be as lucky as you all and never encounter one.I'm going to move slower and louder that's for sure

I always go deeper

Nov 2012
    Stafford,Virginia
    Fisher 1266x and a shovel
    1285 times
    Just dont be picking up logs or going into thick brush where snakes will be laying and waiting for pray... I must have seen 100s of snakes when out MDing and they will all get away from you though one time I did have a water moccasin come @ me once and i was able to act real quick and got my MDer and fling it high into the air and then ran like hell ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links