WE HAVE TO BE A CHARTER MEMBER??

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even just to ASK for something we're looking to buy in the "wanted" section??

I don't see how/why one would need to be a charter member just to post an ad looking for a machine or coil, etc. we'd like to buy.

I can see/understand it for someone "listing for sale" but for "wanting to buy"??

Come on - has this place gone down hill THAT much??

I need some coils for a cz6a and a Tejon and a AT Pro but feebay doesn't have what I'm looking for and neither do the other forums I belong to currently :-(

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can still view the ads, right? If so, pick out what ya want and send the
member a PM. Should work OK.

I am a Charter Member now, and while there's not some huge "goodie bag" that
come with it, simply making a small donation to help defray the site expenses
can't hurt.

I've learned a TON from this site, already, and since the site (overall) gives us so much,
helping out if I can (and I'm poor, too!) just seems the right thing to do. The $20 spent
for the CM status will pay me back ten-fold in the extra gold I'll find as a result of having
the input of so many skilled and experienced detectorists and miners.

Just my 2centavos worth..
twocents-1.gif

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone can buy, you have to be a CM to sell or offer to trade.

OP
OP
lonewolfe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone can buy, you have to be a CM to sell or offer to trade.

I know T-Hunter

my beef is with "WHY" we can't post an ad for something we're looking to buy...

I don't see how that is anywhere near the same as "listing for sale and/or for trade"??

I also don't see how being able to post an ad for "wanted" has any sort of potential for "scam" as do those who list for sale and trade which is why you have to be a charter member to list "for sale/trade" in the 1st place...

Anyway - I can see this is a losing battle here in more ways than one - just look at the post above from TreasureWriter

I'm sick and tired of dealing with that "type" and don't need the BS

I'm just going to quit this place altogether and go hang out with Tom & the guys where intelligent/techie types and "men" hang out and exchange relative/valuable information without all the drama of these kids

thanks

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Lonewolf ... All i said to one of you post was...... I know what you mean..............And the mods deleted those 5 words...... of mine.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
Lonewolf ... All i said to one of you post was...... I know what you mean..............And the mods deleted those 5 words...... of mine.....

Keppy I deleted your post because it contained a long quote of a post I had deleted is all...

LW, I'm at work, give till tomorrow, I think anyone should be able to post a looking ad

Last edited:
OP
OP
lonewolfe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They don't want others to see any bad blood/post and any reference to it keppy

it's just their job - don't worry!

And thanks!

OP
OP
lonewolfe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter

LW, I'm at work, give till tomorrow, I think anyone should be able to post a looking ad

Thanks T-Hunter - that would be a great improvement here and much appreciated :-)

I'm sure many others would like to be able to post a "Wanted" ad if they're looking for a certain item but don't see it listed in the sale/trade section/s.

LW

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They don't want others to see any bad blood/post and any reference to it keppy

it's just their job - don't worry!

And thanks!

Now, this is something I don't understand, you have 5,155 posts on this site, never
once paid a dime to use the place, and are complaining? Consider how many hundreds
of hours of enjoyment you've had from being a member of the site....and all for FREE.

On a site with 58,000+ membership, it takes one hellofa lot of server space, not to mention
the amount of bandwidth that passes here in just one day. It doesn't come for free to the
folks that own the site and pay the bills. And yes, I see banner ads, and odds are that
the site doesn't get much out of them, and certainly not enough to cover the expenses.

So, your pissed about being asked to contribute the dollar equivalent of about 5 gal. of gas
so that the site can run better, faster and allow more site contents? Hell, you can't even get a
library card for free anymore, and the amount of accessible data on here would probably equal
what a library offers on a specific topic, and you don't even have to walk all over the place to find it.

For me? I'm still a relatively new member here, don't know the owners or hardly anyone else
for that matter, but it's a well run site that provides us all a great place to hang-out and chat
about whatever variety of Th'ing we love, and learn about others. I've owned several sites of my
own, and have been an Admin/Mod on one site or another since 1998, and still co-Admin a
site with a friend from Australia. I can honestly tell ya that it's great to own a site that is active,
and truly does meet it's mission of providing a place for people with like minds to communicate.
That is until the "bandwidth" bill arrives each month...tends to take the polish off being a
"site owner", real quick.

Sites don't just grow, they "evolve", and that is typically based on:

1) What a majority of the site members desire, and 2) Does that change gel with what
the site owner envisioned for their site. Sites are not typically democracies owned by the
members, but owners will certainly listen to honest input (most of the time). If they don't
listen, well, it's still their site.

You absolutely have the right to your opinions, however I'm hoping to perhaps get you to see
the issue from a different perspective than "what I can get, or not" to realizing how much
enjoyment you've already had here, so chipping in a few bucks to help pay those bills each
month just allows them to continue making it better.

Another
twocents-1.gif

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, this is something I don't understand, you have 5,155 posts on this site, never
once paid a dime to use the place, and are complaining?

Let's see... you've been a member for 2 months. How do YOU know His past? How do you know he isn't a paying member now? Its not required to show it in your profile.

Also, are you saying that "charter members" are better than non-charter members? :dontknow:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let's see... you've been a member for 2 months. How do YOU know His past? How do you know he isn't a paying member now? Its not required to show it in your profile.

Also, are you saying that "charter members" are better than non-charter members? :dontknow:

Oh good grief. If he WAS a Charter Member, then he would have no reason for the topic in the
first place.

Course I don't know him, and hell no I don't think Charter Members are a bit different/better/whatever
than any other member. I simply put the issue into a different perspective, and one that relates to the
actual operations of a site this size. No one is disrespecting you, or anyone else for that matter. I disagreed
with his opinion, explained why I disagreed and also put forth an alternative way of observing the issue.

If you note:

You absolutely have the right to your opinions, however I'm hoping to perhaps get you to see
the issue from a different perspective than "what I can get, or not" to realizing how much
enjoyment you've already had here, so chipping in a few bucks to help pay those bills each

Jason, I'm not some greenhorn that goes chasing down rabbit holes and continues debating an issue.
Said what I had to say, didn't try to disrespect the man, but instead show him the "other side of
the coin" so that he might look at the issue differently.

From what I've seen since I've been on the site there is absolutely no differences shown to anyone,
be they regular, new, old or CM members, so let's not go off creating an issue where one does not exist.

That was the last
twocents-1.gif

I'll be spending on this topic.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DizzyDigger said:
Oh good grief. If he WAS a Charter Member, then he would have no reason for the topic in the
first place.

Course I don't know him, and hell no I don't think Charter Members are a bit different/better/whatever
than any other member. I simply put the issue into a different perspective, and one that relates to the
actual operations of a site this size. No one is disrespecting you, or anyone else for that matter. I disagreed
with his opinion, explained why I disagreed and also put forth an alternative way of observing the issue.

If you note:

Jason, I'm not some greenhorn that goes chasing down rabbit holes and continues debating an issue.
Said what I had to say, didn't try to disrespect the man, but instead show him the "other side of
the coin" so that he might look at the issue differently.

From what I've seen since I've been on the site there is absolutely no differences shown to anyone,
be they regular, new, old or CM members, so let's not go off creating an issue where one does not exist.

That was the last
I'll be spending on this topic.
Dizzy when a mod deletes a post don't repost it again. I deleted your post and you just reposted the attack.

LW has a legitimate complaint I am going to try to correct for him, don't need another member attacking him for it.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
once paid a dime to use the place, and are complaining? Consider how many hundreds
of hours of enjoyment you've had from being a member of the site....and all for FREE.

On a site with 58,000+ membership, it takes one hellofa lot of server space, not to mention
the amount of bandwidth that passes here in just one day. It doesn't come for free to the
folks that own the site and pay the bills. And yes, I see banner ads, and odds are that
the site doesn't get much out of them, and certainly not enough to cover the expenses.

So, your pissed about being asked to contribute the dollar equivalent of about 5 gal. of gas
so that the site can run better, faster and allow more site contents? Hell, you can't even get a
library card for free anymore, and the amount of accessible data on here would probably equal
what a library offers on a specific topic, and you don't even have to walk all over the place to find it.

For me? I'm still a relatively new member here, don't know the owners or hardly anyone else
for that matter, but it's a well run site that provides us all a great place to hang-out and chat
about whatever variety of Th'ing we love, and learn about others. I've owned several sites of my
own, and have been an Admin/Mod on one site or another since 1998, and still co-Admin a
site with a friend from Australia. I can honestly tell ya that it's great to own a site that is active,
and truly does meet it's mission of providing a place for people with like minds to communicate.
That is until the "bandwidth" bill arrives each month...tends to take the polish off being a
"site owner", real quick.

Sites don't just grow, they "evolve", and that is typically based on:

1) What a majority of the site members desire, and 2) Does that change gel with what
the site owner envisioned for their site. Sites are not typically democracies owned by the
members, but owners will certainly listen to honest input (most of the time). If they don't
listen, well, it's still their site.

Another
twocents-1.gif
Well I totally disagree with this comment. It would be nice to not have to look at 50 post of stuff Im not interested in to get to the good stuff. The bills are paid by sponsors, who bombard you with ads. I would bet money they make money on the ads. I would if I run it. There is plenty of options out there as far as forums go and they don't cost anything. The pay sites are a thing of the past. We need to post to keep the forum going. I too will be searching for some very expensive equipment soon, and Im glad they are fixing that problem. I say hats off to Lonewolf for bringing up a problem with the site. I don't see any benefits of being a paid member, I spend what 5 minutes a week on here? I can break my cable bill down for you, and I actually use that lol. No friend, its a community, we all live here together. Im glad you are a charter member. But Lonewolf made a valid point. Was W.C Fileds that said, oh I forget. smiles.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To all I may have offended, especially LoneWolf...my sincere apologies.

There are times when I tend to go off half-cocked, and perhaps this was one of them. That,
and oft times our words aren't quite able to express what we're trying to say, and I surely
didn't intend the post to have the tone it did. Think I'll just avoid these threads in the future,
as I see no upside to posting responses, and after re-reading the original post I see that
I should also have read the comments that followed (which I hadn't done), as I'd have kept
my yap shut in the first place.

Lonewolf, again, my apologies, and btw, I do agree with your question when it comes
to "Wanted" ads.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please stop the insults....

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Of course we are better than you,Now pay up SUCKAH!!!!

LoL,Im just playing man,There really is not that much of a difference in charter non charter memberships here,The money i have saved buying from the forum vendors has been well over the 20 bucks it costs for the membership to Tnet,To me i was just passing along some good karma when i signed up as a charter member. I would have spent the 20 bucks either way on amazon or elsewhere to get certain items had it not been for Vendors like Tom at miller MDZ and some of the other members who post in the classifieds section of the site.The 20 bucks is more or less just to pitch in toward the operating costs for the owners more than anything else.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is no money in this site why did it sale for an undisclosed amount of money
there has to be a profit some ware
server space can't coast that much or the new owner never would of purchased it
as if they pay insurance holiday pay vacation pay sick pay to the server or a wage once it's set up the owner gets his time and money that more than we get out of life

Last edited:

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't put down T-net and it's members, If you want to hang out with Tom where Men are Men go for it No reason for any name calling :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread