Dead in the water beore i start?

TC024

Feb 25, 2013
Johnson City, Tn
Detector(s) used
Shopping for first now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok for those that have not seen my intro, I am currently saving and trying to decide on a detector. I have been really kind of excited about a hobby that lets me get out in nature and do something my sons could do with me also if they take interest. i have spent many hours reading here on the forums and other articles around the net. This has led me to the following concern.

With all the rules, laws, regulations and general view of detecting is their going to be places to actually hunt? It seems like other than private land(which will be hard for as i am very backward and shy) I risk getting in trouble no matter how careful I dig. I guess the question is am i going to buy something that before long I wont even be able to use? ???

Thanks
Happy hunting!

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm, I'm not sure about your area, but I bet there are a number of huntable (don't think that is a word) areas. I am in a small town in the middle of nowhere, but I have so many places to hunt, I won't be able to get through them this summer.

It may help you become more sociable. I was born and raised as an only child on a very remote ranch. TRUST ME, I know shy LOL. But it is easy to overcome and it could pay off dividends in the long run.

Start with friends and relatives. I'm sure you know somebody who has property (even a front and back yard) or knows somebody who does. Remember, everybody seems to know everybody else. Use that to your advantage and start networking.

Good luck,

WM

OP
OP
TC024

TC024

Feb 25, 2013
Johnson City, Tn
Detector(s) used
Shopping for first now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, maybe I'm just reading into the horror stories to much.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, you are in an area that saw action and troop movement during the Civil War.

This can be a bad thing for detectorists. You just have to realize that people have been pounding Civil War sites since the 1960s. that's almost 50 years of detecting, and a person with a detector and free time is going to dirt fish elsewhere.
So, your state will have had more activity than say...Alaska or Wyoming.
With the good, comes the bad, so more places are going to have experienced Joe Dirtbag who has dollar signs in his eyes, a big shovel and is too busy to do silly things like ask permission and fill his holes. he has riches to seek...
And sadly, people like Rick Sausage with his planted finds and those two weirdos that jump and roll around and yell words that they made up are not helping.

There is a "Tennessee" forum here, I would look there for some responsible dectectorists and places to hunt.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok for those that have not seen my intro, I am currently saving and trying to decide on a detector. I have been really kind of excited about a hobby that lets me get out in nature and do something my sons could do with me also if they take interest. i have spent many hours reading here on the forums and other articles around the net. This has led me to the following concern.

With all the rules, laws, regulations and general view of detecting is their going to be places to actually hunt? It seems like other than private land(which will be hard for as i am very backward and shy) I risk getting in trouble no matter how careful I dig. I guess the question is am i going to buy something that before long I wont even be able to use? ???

Thanks
Happy hunting!
...... Let me tell you that you will always find a place to hunt that you don't need permission and you will not get in trouble.............There is a lot of places like that left no matter were you live........... There is to much exaggeration and over kill on here about oh you can't hunt here or there.......... There are so many places to hunt You have ones on here that would not hunt there own yard if there wife looked cross eyed at them......... There is just to many places to hunt were no permission is needed............... I have hunted 40 years give or take and never hunted a place were i had to ask permission .. There is just to many places around to hunt......A lot of things you see on these treasure forums you have to take with a grain of salt let in one ear and out the other................ Just get a detector and you will find a place to hunt.....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Thanks, maybe I'm just reading into the horror stories to much.

Yes, you hit the nail on the head. It's human nature, afterall, to read some "scary story" or "singular city where someone got hassled", etc... and think "oh no". :) But oddly, if a person reads 1 story like that, and then reads 100 stories of persons who walked carefree into a park, school, forest, beach, etc... and never had a problem, guess which one story his mind will subconsciously remember and focus on? The singular booting story! I guess it's human nature to concentrate on the "what ifs" (especially if you're a person hard-wired to be a skittish or cautious type to begin with).

This is not to say that you'll never get a busy-body question you, or that you can go waltzing over people's beach blankets at an archaeologist convention though. You have to recognize this is an odd hobby, that draw the stares of curious folks, and has connotations. So like nose-picking, sometimes you gotta be a little discreet (go at low traffic times, avoid lookie-lous). There's lots of public places to detect, where ...... so long as you're not a nuisance or "sticking out", you're generally ignored.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just go for it ,Ive had & have socical anexiety since a child ,but have learned to deal with it [for the most part] When talking to home/ land owners Itell myself "just do it " the worst that can happen is they say no . You will be ok...

OP
OP
TC024

TC024

Feb 25, 2013
Johnson City, Tn
Detector(s) used
Shopping for first now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. I feel better about my concerns. Now just save a bit longer and decide what detector I want.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TC024,
As has already been suggested, you will always find places to detect. Why? You will become savvy as to what to look for, you will begin to meet new folks who know folks who know folks etc. and you can ask all of them for permission. Pull up a chair with some 'old timers', whatever/whoever that might be, and start up a conversation about the old days but be sure to listen for places to jump in and ask questions so you've some guidance. Asking people for permission is a great thing for you to be doing with the worst thing they can do is say no. Always be polite and thank them even if they say know.

Note here, even before you get your detector you'd be wise to practice probing for targets as well as how to properly dig a plug. A good way to stay in someone's good graces is to put a cloth down on the grass so very little dirt spills on the grass. Leaving a lawn looking like it was before you got there is important.

There are a ton of detectors out there and most all of them are discussed here on Tnet. Find out if there is a detecting club in your area and to to meetings. Ask what brands/models folks like and what is needed for your general area. You will catch on quickly and soon you will have your detector and be on your way. May a $20 dollar gold coin show up at the bottom of your first hole...............63bkpkr

PS - you might even consider putting in a little free work time for the folks that give you permission to detect on their property. Also, of the folks that do give you permission you might just care to keep a list of them that way you will have a list of people you could use as references.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TC024

TC024

Feb 25, 2013
Johnson City, Tn
Detector(s) used
Shopping for first now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, depending on how long I can resist the urge to buy I have my eyes set a a few price ranges.
F2 - ace250
F4 - ace350
My big wish is At pro

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TC024 , i am not a vet like most these guys, i bought my first MD around 8 months ago at the request of my son, as a hobby he and i could do together , i was told that city parks are fair game , so we hit a couple ball fields and found some change , i do not live far from you but i am not familiar with the parks in JC , i hear volly ball pits are great place to hit as well as sand areas in child play ground areas .
me and my son have worked out a system and are trying to perfect it now, he has decided he would rather be the one to dig up the item and let me find them,,sounds kind of unfair at first ,,,lol but i want him to enjoy it and if this will keep him in it , then so be it.
any way , it is a great feeling to see our progress , 99% of the time when i mark a coin for him there is one and its almost always where i place the flag...any way my point is dont give up before you get started , my knowledge is limited but feel free to PM me and maybe when we both get up and going we can try to find a spot we can meet up and see what we can find.

OP
OP
TC024

TC024

Feb 25, 2013
Johnson City, Tn
Detector(s) used
Shopping for first now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks mical66, we will try to do that. Which md did you pick if I may ask?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions