HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmm.. not really other then public beaches and some public parks do allow it but you have too check with the park too see if they do and sometimes even if they do allow it they will tell you are not allowed too. State parks you have to get permission from the park supervisor and national parks are a big no no. Just check the rules and regulations before you hit up a park.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i have been at this for over 40 years and have never hunted any place were i had to ask.................. There are a lot of places ..Parks .. Ball fields... Salt water and fresh water beaches .. river streams,,,,,, An for the last few years all i have been hunting is old foundations that i find out in the woods..... I found one i am getting ready to hunt now it is from back in the 1800's...... If you pay any mind to some you have to ask permission every were they hunt.... Not so ... I mean you just can not go in some ones yard and hunt...... A lot of parks you can not hunt................ But at parks if they do not have any signs up that says no detecting............. Don't try to get permission .. just go in and hunt........... Fo if you ask and there is no law soon they will make one to keep you out.......... That is why you never ask a government agent for permission ..... For most of the time they will tell you ... No you can not hunt even tho you can.........But then they will make a law to keep you out................ But there is loads of places to hunt were you do not need permission......

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish I lived up where Keppy does. I've been detecting for 40 or so years too but things here in Texas have changed a lot since back when I started. The list of places closed to detecting just keeps getting longer. Sad to say, it's mostly the fault of folks who dig holes and leave them unfilled. All Texas state parks are closed to detecting. So are all county and city parks in Travis County as well as all Lower Colorado River Authority parks. Many small towns don't have a specific ordinance against detecting but have a catch-all ordinance that prohibits "digging".

I'm not trying to be alarmist or scare you off. All I'm saying is that there appears to be a huge difference between Keppy's home area and where I live. It's up to you to learn the rules for where you want to hunt. Better safe than sorry.

Storm

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I will take a crack at your question, by addressing what hutsitedigger, keppy, and storm-rider have said so far (as a way of answering your OP question):

For hut-site-digger, you say:

" .... public beaches and some public parks do allow it but you have too check with the park too see if they do ...."

You've got that bass-ackwards. Something need not be "expressly allowed" in order to be able to do it. For example: are you expressly allowed to fly frisbees? No. On the contrary. If there was/is no prohibition about flying frisbees at a specific location ... then ... one assumes he can fly frisbees. So a person does not need to seek to find out if there is an "allowance" of metal detecting. Instead, all they need to do is find out if there any prohibitions.

Next you say: " .... sometimes even if they do allow it they will tell you are not allowed too....." Huh? What sense does that make? If they "allow it" (the absence of a prohibition), then .......... by logical deduction, they can not say "you are not allowed". If they DID that, then you are a victim of "no one cared, TILL you asked". In which case you would have been better served to have looked it up for yourself, to have answered the question.

Lastly you say: "Just check the rules and regulations before you hit up a park." Right. And the best way to do that is to look them up for yourself. Not go asking desk-bound bureaucrats "can I?" type permission questions.

As for Keppy, I agree. What he's saying is that when you ask someone "can I?", you often get the "safe answer" of "no", even though no rule exists saying "no metal detecting". And if you press them by saying "... but where is that written?", guess what will happen? I mean, let's face it: our hobby has connotations (you might disturb something, etc...). And the mere fact that you are standing there asking them, merely assumes something is inherently wrong or evil, that you had to ask, to begin with! (lest why would you be asking, if it were innocuous?). So guess what they're safe and easy answer is going to be? Doh! They'll morph something to apply, even if .... the thought or concept never occured to them, nor would they have ever paid you a second glance! (unless you were being a nuisance in some other way).

As for storm-rider's reply, I bet that the very reason why he thinks his area is "tight" (and perhaps even is) is the very self-fulfilling pyschology that I speak of. The reason "The list of places closed to detecting just keeps getting longer." Is because too many md'rs keep making themselves a BIG RED X in need of attention, scrutiny, sanction, allowance, permission, etc...... And each time this comes before "some princely board for say-so", guess what the easy answer will be? So ironically .... if Keppy truly has an area that's free-flowing and you can detect public parks without having to ask, or having rules, well guess why? Because keppy and others in his area didn't go grovelling for "permission" (as if it were needed).

Next storm-rider says: " Sad to say, it's mostly the fault of folks who dig holes and leave them unfilled." Oh sure, this is the reason that some governing authority will tell you as their "go-to" reason for telling you "no". And perhaps there even WAS someone who "left holes" in the past. But let's face it fellows: what is the mental image when you talk to someone about metal detecting? HOLES! (I mean, afterall, we have to dig to get our targets). So even if there's never *really* been an issue or incident, this will be the knee-jerk reaction of the person you are asking. So when they say "no, because of holes", we md'rs say to ourselves "durn those people who must've left holes", when perhaps there was never even such a case! Or if there WAS such a case, it ONLY became a reason for a "no", when someone subsequently went in and asked "can I?". I mean, let's face it: HOLES (un-filled anyhow) are ALREADY a no-no for public land (under clauses like "defacement" , or "alterations", etc...), so .... what gives?

Lastly storm-rider says: "Many small towns don't have a specific ordinance against detecting but have a catch-all ordinance that prohibits "digging"." Ok. Granted, "small town have ordinances against digging". Let me save you some time: ALL places have ordinances against "digging", or "defacement" or "vandalism" or "alterations", etc.... But no, I do NOT automatically equate those to metal detecting. If you do, then sure, hang it up right now, or stick to private land with permission. But what you are failing to realize, is all such clauses instinctively and inherently apply to the END result, do they not? So if you leave no trace of your presence, then by logical definition, you have not alterED, defacED, or vandalizED anything ... now have you? Sure someone can debate you on semantics over the temporary evil process of extraction! For pete's sake, did you plan on wearing neon orange with a big red X on your back? Can't you go at low traffic hours and avoid such lookie-lous??

So to answer the OP's question: Look things up for yourself (if you are skittish). And if the entity (city, county, etc...) has nothing saying "no metal detecting", the presto, it's not prohibited. Just use some common sense. Avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments, go at low traffic times, be discreet d/t the mental implications, etc.....

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom is right about hunting..... I still go at times to city parks and state parks to hunt now and then and always did...... And never asked if i could hunt there...... And no one has ever said a word to me........ It is when you ask is when you start trouble for detecting.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget about school yards.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom is right about hunting..... I still go at times to city parks and state parks to hunt now and then and always did...... And never asked if i could hunt there...... And no one has ever said a word to me........ It is when you ask is when you start trouble for detecting.

I'd be very careful hunting a state park without checking the rules some state parks do allow MDing but here in Virginia 80% of them you need to ask permission from the park supervisor! some state parks have endangered plants,insects,etc on them and if you get caught digging holes in that part of the park you can be fined up to $100-$500 for each hole you dig and also please remember the ARPA act cause they will slam that down your throat in a state park if you are caught! maybe things out west are different but here in Virginia you got to be real careful in state parks if you just go in there without permission. Also if you get caught taking any Indian artifacts in any ARPA area you are really asking for some major issues.

Also if you call the park office in a city park and ask them to MD sometimes the other person on the end of the phone may or may not know about MDing and just tell you are not allowed and in some cities like Fredericksburg,Virginia if you are caught in any city park you will be fined and if you recover any artifacts they will take them and seize your MDer for a couple days. Really all depends on the state but here in Virginia they can be strict about everything.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will hunt anywhere except State Parks...I hunt Schools all the time, even abandoned homes. I have had the Police come up to me, but mainly telling me to becareful of the area Im in. Anything that is City Owned, is public property (for most situations). I hit Medians all the time, except in front of peoples home, which I don't for respect reasons. Unless there is a sign telling me to Stay Away of no detecting...Than I'm detecting

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
All i can say about state parks in my area is i never had a problem hunting them..........I never asked to hunt them .... And like i said before the rangers don't even give me a second look........ Could be the reason i have never had any problems is that i or the ones i know that hunt never ask..............As for seeing holes never covered at any place i have hunted i never seen any holes left uncovered were i hunt.....I think a lot of that is made up about finding holes all over.........................There are always the ones that will not hunt there front yard with out there wifes permission........

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just hunt,other than private tresspass places,I just hunt.Once,at a soccer complex I went over to a workman and gave him a set of equipment keys I found.the supervisor walked over to me an hour later to thank me.he was about to order an ignition for a mower....but now didnt have to.He asked how deep I dig so I showed him how I probe and retrieved a 2"penny.He was cool with it.Told me if I had asked he would have said no....but that I was welcome anytime.

I say this...DONT CARRY A SHOVEL IN A PARK....even a small one.a probe and/or lesche is all you should need and doesnt launch red flags.

Be smart...timing is everything...leave no trace..answer questions with a smile...represent.

I never have been asked to leave anywhere,dont think I ever pissed anyone off.I know I've done no damage.Still I prefer going out into the woods or desert and being left completely alone.

Did you know that the highway easements are good spots at times...no one ever bothered me.modern roads often are on top of early trails.You gotta try that one.Almost everywhere has a nowhere.focus on nowhere,people have been everywhere in history.Beautiful little parking spots along a scenic hiway...bam...old school picnic area.

The top of a long grade...bam...rest area for vehicles...everyone out streachin their legs...good stuff.

Hunting parks is fun but I rarely do....use your imagination...locate what once was but is no longer...think picnic(was a big deal 20s-50s)all good.

good luck !!!!
pat

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I will hunt anywhere except State Parks...I hunt Schools all the time, even abandoned homes. I have had the Police come up to me, but mainly telling me to becareful of the area Im in. Anything that is City Owned, is public property (for most situations). I hit Medians all the time, except in front of peoples home, which I don't for respect reasons. Unless there is a sign telling me to Stay Away of no detecting...Than I'm detecting
Were i am i have never seen a no detecting sign............

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fair grounds Can be good.

Along RR tracks especially bridges and tressels

Creeks creek beds
Fields spring is better
Moms house
Grandmas house
Town park
Military bases wait not there

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fair grounds Can be good.

Along RR tracks especially bridges and tressels

Creeks creek beds
Fields spring is better
Moms house
Grandmas house
Town park
Military bases wait not there

I've hunted along rail road tracks since the day I started metal detecting and only had 1 issue and this was when I was tad bit younger me and a friend had too ride an ATV on the railroad tracks maybe 30-50 yards too cross over this small bridge too get to the other side where a civil war camp was! we had been doing this for years and the tracks are very straight so you can see a train coming a mile away! but one day we pulled off the trail up onto the railroad tracks and then over the bridge which takes less than 20-30 seconds well on the other side of the track was a RR employee who shot @ us with SALT pellets and one hit me in the back and let me tell you we never did that again. But normally along RR tracks is good in rural parts but I know the closer to the city you get the more stricter they are on monitoring them.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were i am i have never seen a no detecting sign............

Keppy sounds like the state parks you are hunting in are low key and chill which is awesome! but if they wanted to they could throw that ARPA act at you which protects all state/federal lands for removal of artifacts mainly Indian artifacts.. I hunted a spot in West Virginia that was a state park years back and passed a park ranger woman who drove by and waved at me then 15 minutes later two more rangers came by and stopped and got out of the truck I told myself "crap here we go" well they just wanted to know if I seen two hikers and that was it they didnt even ask 1 question about me and my buddy MDing and I had pockets full of civil war relics and a buddy of mine Dennis a very well known MDer in Virginia had an OVM plate on him we about pooed in are pants, we were sooo blessed the rangers didn't didn't even care, I wish it was like that everywhere! God bless the USA but shame on any buzz killing park rangers and state archaeologist who can cry up a river when it comes to MDing.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I am in the minority here, but before I go to any new place (new to me at least), I always call the local police department and ask the dispatcher if "there are any laws specific to metal detecting on town owned property". I never mention digging holes, filling holes or anything that can be construed as damaging to property. The only time I have been told "no", it was just after a large storm and some houses were falling into the ocean, so the police told me that the beach was "closed" and could not be detected or even walked on. One city asked that I not detect around the band shell in the park as they had just resodded the lawn in preparation for the summer concerts..."no problem" was my reply. I always get the name of the person I spoke with and make very sure I say "thank you" for their help.

This has been my experience for what it's worth. I know a lot of you don't agree with me on this, but this way works for me. I've hunted on parks, school yards, athletic fields, town hall greens, town commons, sidewalks, lake and ocean beaches, etc., all without problems.

HH,
Anita

Last edited:

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like I said, different places equal different rules and times have changed. Back in the 1970's I detected the grounds of the state capitol building in Austin on a regular basis. No one cared. The only Capitol Police officer who ever approached me turned out to be interested in metal detecting. I let him try out my machine. That was then. I wouldn't even consider showing up on the capitol grounds with a metal detector and digging tools today. They would probably call out SWAT. I've hunted public schools for decades too. Today I'm careful to go there only when school is not in session and apparently even that isn't enough. The various school shootings have changed the attitude of law enforcement. I got that message recently when an officer came driving up and used his public address system to tell me to "drop my weapons". I used to be a cop and I recognize a felony stop procedure. I've done one or two. It was after 5 pm and class was out for the day. It ended well with us both having a laugh but it did leave an impression. Times have changed.

As for folks leaving holes and trash behind, well I've seen it. I've picked up the trash and filled the holes. Some of them were obviously made with a shovel. It all started about the time that Walmart, Radio Shack, and a few other big box stores started selling relatively cheap metal detectors. People buy these things expecting to go out and find nothing but coins and jewelry just like the advertising leads them to believe. Then they dig pull tabs, bottle caps, and aluminum foil until they get frustrated.

Again, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade or discourage anyone. Metal detecting is still a great hobby. But the bottom line is that it is up to you to be an ambassador for all of us. Fill your holes. Know the local laws and ordinances where you live/hunt. If you live where you have extensive public land to search I can only say that I wish Texas was like that! Maybe someday I can come visit you and see what it's like.

Storm

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gotta say....I could hunt in downtown(anywhere)and not get hasseled.I wanna know how many of you have been hasseled.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck back in the 60s and early 70s you could metal detect National Parks until they made that ARPA act. I know a guy in the 70s who was metal detecting a National Park and a ranger came by and told him "what are you doing over here?? everything happened over there" he pointed to another field LOL! Boy not in todays times not at all now you face prison, fines, judges, lawyers and what ever hell on earth they throw @ you these days.. YOU CANT EVEN go into the DAM WOODS today with people with cell phones they see a MDer going into the woods and BOOOM they call 911 "Someone just went into the woods with a gun (they think a MDer is a gun)" or "Someone just went into the woods with a chainsaw" blah blah blah blah blah blah blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! I need too move out west were it seems digging is easier and people just dont care.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish I lived up where Keppy does. I've been detecting for 40 or so years too but things here in Texas have changed a lot since back when I started. The list of places closed to detecting just keeps getting longer. Sad to say, it's mostly the fault of folks who dig holes and leave them unfilled. All Texas state parks are closed to detecting. So are all county and city parks in Travis County as well as all Lower Colorado River Authority parks. Many small towns don't have a specific ordinance against detecting but have a catch-all ordinance that prohibits "digging".

I'm not trying to be alarmist or scare you off. All I'm saying is that there appears to be a huge difference between Keppy's home area and where I live. It's up to you to learn the rules for where you want to hunt. Better safe than sorry.

Storm

Look where you live dude! Get out of Travis and Williamson counties and you may/will find that Texas is free. I have never asked permission to hunt anywhere around San Antonio. There are hundreds, if not thousands of places to hunt in Texas where you don't have to ask and nobody cares...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions