Considering to detect in northeastern france on holiday.. Are there any risks?

Kaminaxus

Sep 29, 2012
LU
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So i'm going on my holiday for 2 weeks in france next month and thought about buying a metal detector just to use as a hobby together with my uncle while down there and perhaps find some medieval coins & misc from this part of europe.

I will be staying at a relatives holiday home in a small village west of the city of Vesoul (orange part)
uppersaone.gif

However since this is in the Northeastern part of france near the border to Switzerland I was wondering if metal detecting here is a good idea/safe? Are there any risks of me stumbling across some world war 2 bomb / grenade in this area and ending up with half my body torn to pieces?

I know that alot of major battles took place in the northern france near the german border and that where some of these battles took place between the allied troops and germany are even stil today not cleared from the past and loaded with world war II grenades, helmets and weapons only a few inches below the surface of the ground, but i have no idea whether any major battles/troops moved by in this region. Does anyone know if this is a relatively safe area to detect at or am I at risk?

Last edited:

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well since no-one answered I don't know about the area but wouldn't worry, isn't that part of a MDer's goal finding the old guns, I would probably dig slow and if it looks suspicious leave it. The pins on grenades can rust and be dangerous, but you probably have a better chance of dying from a bee sting than getting blown up. Now if your married and detect on vacation I bet that could be dangerous.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been too France twice but not on a MDing trip! REALLY awesome place.... You have gotta stop by some wine touring... Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions