How do you store your metal detector when not in use?

songdog

May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been keeping my detectors in a spare room, just sitting on the floor with the "control box" leaning against a bookcase.
This works well except now I have a collection of detectors and need the floor space so I am thinking of hanging them from the wall.
I don't see a problem with this as most of the detecting shops I visit have their units hanging from the loop on a single hook.
I am a bit more particular and was going to mount a "garage tool holder" in which you can slide the shaft into a recessed area and a "slide lock" locks the shaft into place. Then, when needed, you give a slight lift and the detector comes right out.
I like this better than hanging the machines from the loop coil.
But I was wondering what others do to store their units. Pictures would be nice if you have them!
BTW, if I am storing my units for any lengthy periods I will put them in hard leather suit cases that I buy at the flea markets.
I put eggshell foam inside, and make cutouts to accept the detector, rods, coils, etc., but again, this is the season for putting them to use so I am more interested in storing them in an easy to get to manner.
Thanks in advance for your help!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i store mine in our extra room hanging on the wall and if they are goin to be there for a while i will remove the batteries so no surprises just in case some reason to me they look better hangin up just my preferance is all

OP
OP
S

songdog

May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i store mine in our extra room hanging on the wall and if they are goin to be there for a while i will remove the batteries so no surprises just in case some reason to me they look better hangin up just my preferance is all

Thanks for the reply!
I just completed the hanging system for my three detectors and it works well.
Like you I prefer them off of the floor, plus they make for a better "man cave" look!!!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look good huh when u walk in the room.to make that decision on which 2 to use & I like when friends come over & there like wow wish I had a set up like that

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I let mine roll around in the trunk of my car and it seems to work as well as the day I bought it over a year ago, its only a $150 detector though...:) If I had a nice one I'm sure I'd get a hardcase.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After loosing a large expensive coil to damage at the connector, I have learned to handle my detector with kid gloves. Now when Im hunting, I actually get going so fast I may dig with the coil in the tot lot and us the coil to fill ahole back in. But once home, it is gently placed in its own little corner about two foot from my head where I can see it. I dread mornings, but when I see that baby setting there, well, just makes the day go better. I also have a puppy who has chewed about everything else in the house............but your displays sounds really cool. I would be concerned about accidently knocking one of mine down. While the old bounty hunter was kept in the first owners trunk of his car, he also inserted the batterys wrong and thought it was broken too. Thats how I got it. The F75, is very light, and I have already dinged it up hunting. Im not dropping that baby, it stays in the house in a moderate enviorement unless Im hunting. On a good day, I can even get my wife to carry it on my easier hikes I take in the desert. She carrys the 3 pound detector, and I carry a 35 pound pack and she will claim I am using here as a mule, lol. This one day, Im at a monument, she wanted to run the detector, and I was walking around this large boulder taking pictures. Anyway, she hits backfill and the detector goes quiet. She is thinking the detector is not working. So she runs her GOLD wedding band across the coil. Now if you dont know what the sound is of gold running across the coil of your detector is, it does have a distintive sound on my F75. I started yelling and came running, through cactus, almost falling, to get to her. She is standing there just laughing here her self silly. Cant tell you what I used on the mule after that. The carrot or the stick, but I will get here back, lol.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Casca Quote "While the old bounty hunter was kept in the first owners trunk of his car, he also inserted the batterys wrong and thought it was broken too. Thats how I got it. The F75, is very light, and I have already dinged it up hunting."

That's funny because when I bought my BH the batteries I bought with it didn't fit, I bought the Big 5 brand and ended up having to go get Duracell's which fit. The off brand are a tiny tiny bit larger and don't fit I kept trying but it was too tight a fit and thought I'd break it trying to jam them in.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those of you who have said you hang your detector, please post pics or plans. I want to hang mine but can't figure out the right design but if I see it on paper I know I can build it.

OP
OP
S

songdog

May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those of you who have said you hang your detector, please post pics or plans. I want to hang mine but can't figure out the right design but if I see it on paper I know I can build it.

Here is how I just hung mine after years of just sitting in the corner of my work room.
IMAG0279.jpg

It has a series of "rollers" that will roll up when inserting the detector and when you let it down the roller falls back and "grabs" the detector shaft, and gravity holds it in place.
It works great and was less than $20.
I hope this helps.
One side note. If I were to do it again I would have first attached a 2 x 6 board the length of the tool holder (3 feet) as this would allow more room for the "S" bends in the detector shaft.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Close to the way I do mine as well I can't get picks up yet I used the aluminum broom holders detector rods same size & they clip right in easy under $2

OP
OP
S

songdog

May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have mentioned that the bow is NOT part of my metal detecting collection!
I just like to keep my "good" toys up and out of the way!
Archery is another one of my addictions!!!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Christo and Songdog, thanks!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem at all

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey they cost enough why not show them off

OP
OP
S

songdog

May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey they cost enough why not show them off

You got that right!!!
Now if only I could come up with a "neat" way to store my digging tools, pouches, headphones, beach scoops, aprons, knee pads............................!!!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look into garage space saving at Lowes homedepot placed like that usually have those things there for people to keep items shovels aprons etc off the floor check em out can't hurt on a rainy day

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I place mine in the Camo AT Pro case.. Nice case but I would be afraid to take the detector anywhere while it is that case for fear someone would think I am carrying a weapon.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Trunk of my car at all times-winter or summer. I know people are typing I'm crazy right now ( cold-humidity,yada,yada)
Never had a problem in any weather,and I want to be ready to detect at all times.

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is how I just hung mine after years of just sitting in the corner of my work room.
View attachment 800885

It has a series of "rollers" that will roll up when inserting the detector and when you let it down the roller falls back and "grabs" the detector shaft, and gravity holds it in place.
It works great and was less than $20.
I hope this helps.
One side note. If I were to do it again I would have first attached a 2 x 6 board the length of the tool holder (3 feet) as this would allow more room for the "S" bends in the detector shaft.

Now that's cool! For now, mine gets a bath after every use and stays in the Treasure Wise bag that it came with. Thanks Miller MDZ!! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread