Whites Coinmaster GT, M6, or MXT?

zechariahbendovid

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's Coinmaster GT, M6, or MXT?

I'm looking to get my second detector. My first was a bounty hunter tracker IV and I've never found anything of value. I ordered their 4" gold nugget coil for better pinpointing and better gold discrimination, but the machine just doesn't go deep enough and a smaller coil will do the opposite of fixing that issue. I doubt it's going to improve my opinion of the machine. I'm sure it's a good detector for people who want one that makes loud gold tones over large iron hardware products and pull tab tones over silver, and for small children(although if you truly love your children their first detector won't be a Tracker IV if you truly want to pass on the hobby.) I want to go with whites because when people are discussing detectors, it always seems to come back to whites. I also live in Eugene, Oregon, which is 45 minutes(the way I drive) from their factory headquarters, and I hear their service is incredible. The detectors I've been looking at have been the Coinmaster GT, the MXT M6, and the MXT(in order of price, low to high.) The coinmaster is $399, the M6 is $699, and the MXT is $799. I look at metal detecting as a hobby, but I would eventually love it if my machine paid itself off in precious metals(that would take eons with the Tracker IV). Which is the best machine? Is the MXT better enough than the Coinmaster to justify the extra $400? I'm not looking to spend a huge amount of money, but I will if it's worth it. I'm also open to recommendations of any other machines in that price range, just leaning heavily towards whites.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
1ST - I noticed this is your very first post - so, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
2ND -You didn't mention your state (or country) - but you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
3RD - You might consider browsing Metal Detecting Forum > Brands > White's for stuff related to your future White MD purchase.
4TH - Whatever you decide - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would get the M6 if money is an issue. The MXT is more money but very similar to the cheaper M6. If you want to spend more than the M6 get the MXT Pro with the 950 coil. The M6 is a professional machine with options of 7 whites coils. The coinmasters only have 3 optional coils. Also the M6 is easy to use -only 2 controls and is a coin and jewelry hog!!

OP
OP
Z

zechariahbendovid

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks VPNavy, I live in Eugene, Oregon, about 45 minutes from the Whites factory and headquarters in Sweet Home, Oregon. The problem is that though there has been a European presence here from the 17th century on, there werent many people here before the late 19th century, and it didn't become a "city" of any size until the last 30-40 years, so I imagine most anything of value, from old coins, to relics of Spanish interaction with the Native Americans will be quite deep. Also, most of our soil in the area I've run a detector over seems to be high in Iron, with the additional problem of having huge numbers of pull tabs and buried cans(college town with a 5k strong homeless population on any given night.) I may take a drive to the factory showroom to check out what they have. I imagine they have samples of most of if not all their models to try out. If I don't go to the factory, our local dealer has that seal on his website.

OP
OP
Z

zechariahbendovid

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Landlord Jim. Do you own or have much experience using the M6?

OP
OP
Z

zechariahbendovid

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, does anyone think I'd be better off buying a DFX? I've NEVER seen anything but rave reviews and great finds with that machine.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a long term MXT user I can definitely say that either the MXT or the M6 will out perform the Coinmaster series. If you think you might ever consider a bit of prospecting, the MXT definitely has the edge. In my opinion, unless you enjoy working through touchpad menus and enjoy spending time tweaking different combinations of settings, stay away from the DFX and higher. Both the MXT and the M6 are easy to learn and quick to get out hunting with, compared to the DFX. To those that like all the tweaking, more power to them, but if not done right, the performance suffers rather than improves. I'm a knob and switch fan myself.
luvsdux

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MXT/P or the M6. I'd probably opt for the M6. Similar performance with none of the annoying hisses,pops,chattering.

And do your community a favor and buy local. Economics 101!

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MXT or M6..... If you don't have a good pinpointer and digger, get the M6 and a pinpointer and digger. You won't be sorry...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions