Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GETTING A NEW SOURCE OF HISTORICAL INFO FOR MD'ING

:hello2: I just ordered a book from a neighboring county newspaper writer which is a compilation of historical articles from that papers historian. The newspaper has been in print since 1823, and the columnist has been its history writer since 1963.I recently read just one of her articles on early county inns which was loaded with information which might lead to significant metal detecting possibilities. The book I ordered contains the best county history articles of the past 30 years which I believe will be a great resource for ideas on good places to detect and should provide clues helpful in finding them. I got some helpful information from another little book I picked-up about the historical places in the county I live in. I am planning a search for one location where an old tavern existed , and I'm currently studying aerial photography for the most likely location of another site described in the book. Of course, it does happen that a dig site turns out to be on private land, so it might take a while to obtain permission, but that's what this hobby is all about, right? With enough possibilities, some will certainly be on land that is accessible without permission.

I'd love to hear from others about where they find information on places to MD. happy hunting everyone.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Please let us know what you think about the book after you have had it for a week or so relicmeister.

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice, I hit up my local city's park and recreation website and it said the dates the parks opened. On of the parks is huge and opened in 1925.

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, vpnavy -another source is the visitor centers that the states usually have near the interstate exits. The pamphlets they have can sometimes give you ideas.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck Relicmeister... I find awesome stuff like this all the time in micro-films from old newspapers,etc. Problem is 70% of the time the place is a shopping center now or is heavily posted and like pulling teeth too find someone too get you permission. Good luck - let us know how it turns out.

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've also been thinking about picking a known historical home or site, and then researching the adjacent regions using what resources are readily available,( like aerial photography, old maps and the like ) the idea being that the chief historical site is
off limits to detecting, but in its heyday it certainly encompassed a much larger area than it has now been reduced to, some of which is hopefully accessible. Then it's simply a matter of luck that you will find an area which had activity associated with the main site. This approach seems logical to me. Does anyone else?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread