All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm not in Nashville or TN, but from what I gather, from your text, it sounds like "local" and "metro" are two different entities? And that apparently the "local" ones have no prohibitions, while the "metro" ones do? If so then, your question appears to be how to tell which park is under what entity?

If so, then it seems to me if you simply ask them what parks are under their jurisdiction, then you'd have a list. For example: If I go to my city's website, there's a tab for "parks". And when I click on that, there's a list of all the dozens of parks scattered around my city that are "city" (as opposed to county, state, federal, private, etc...). Same for the county here: A list of their parks (the country ones outside the city limits) are no "secret". So getting a list of an entity's parks should be easy to obtain from them. Or isn't there usually a sign at every park entrance that will say such & such METRO park, verses such & such CITY park?

But if your question was to ask "where is it legal to detect?" then the answer to that is: look up potential rules for yourself (if you are skittish and worried). Don't go ask someone in local or metro: "can I metal detect?". Because by doing that, you risk a "no", when in fact there's no such rule saying such a thing. You know, because they give the "safe" answer because they think you'll harm earthworms or some such bologna (when in fact they may never have cared or noticed). If there really is a rule saying "no metal detecting", that would be on their list of parks rules. You can just get the park's or city's rules (which are available to the public). If it's doesn't say "no metal detecting", then presto, it's not prohibited now is it? :icon_thumleft:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
You might also consider jumping over to Middle Tennessee Treasure Hunters Club and asking...

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there ia no signs posted that say no metal detecting then there fair game.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

If there ia no signs posted that say no metal detecting then there fair game.

dholland, barring "obvious historic monument" (where someone can be "reasonably" expected to know), I would practice that advice as well. But what do you say to the people who would say: "But not *every* rule is written on the wooden park sign. Some rules might be down at city hall, yet not be on the park sign. Like laws that forbid nudity, for instance". What do you say to people who answer you like that?

Sorry, just trying to be the devil's advocate and beat the "skittish" people to the punch-line :)

I would do as you say, about the signage, barring obvious historic monuments. Because for run-of-the-mill parks and school yards, even IF someone ever cared, you're going to ... uh ... simply be appraised first anyhow. Great! So "now you know". No harm done. Unless you violate that warning, of course, and immediately parade yourself around in front of that busy-body who warned you.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dholland, barring "obvious historic monument" (where someone can be "reasonably" expected to know), I would practice that advice as well. But what do you say to the people who would say: "But not *every* rule is written on the wooden park sign. Some rules might be down at city hall, yet not be on the park sign. Like laws that forbid nudity, for instance". What do you say to people who answer you like that?

Sorry, just trying to be the devil's advocate and beat the "skittish" people to the punch-line :)

I would do as you say, about the signage, barring obvious historic monuments. Because for run-of-the-mill parks and school yards, even IF someone ever cared, you're going to ... uh ... simply be appraised first anyhow. Great! So "now you know". No harm done. Unless you violate that warning, of course, and immediately parade yourself around in front of that busy-body who warned you.

Lol haha tom u know how I feel by now. There are so many posts about this over and over again. I dnt worrya if its written down in a book in someones office, imo if they dnt want u there they sould have a sign I'm not going outta my way to find answers on public land.

In my town there is an old park that dates back to the early 1890s. They have a big signs that say no metal detectors allowed. Only park in my whole county that has that. So I hunt the other ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread