Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NH Bob said:
If they want it to catch on then make it big like the old Dollar coins.

Really! When are they ever going to learn?

Then again, they'll be more easily lost so we'll dig up more of 'em ;D

Nat

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Im not sure that even a bigger silver dollar would do so well in todays market. They were better in the past because of the metal they were made of was the currency, unlike today. Now if they were made of silver...Watch out! LOL Just my 2 cents worth ;D

OP
OP
NH Bob

NH Bob

Jan 22, 2007
NH
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Ya, but it feels so good to have a handful of big coins in your pocket.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to use the Sacs cuz there a different color and their neet to look at. On the other hand, I have spent more than my fair share of Susan B Anthony Dollars as quarters! The minting of those my friends was a HUGE mistake.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
I think the only reason they're doing is so that Bush, Clinton, and all the other jolly ranchers can get their picture on a coin, without causing too much of an uproar... ;D

OP
OP
NH Bob

NH Bob

Jan 22, 2007
NH
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
You mean like Napoleon and Nero?
Napoleon medal 1806

Attachments

• COINS ONLY 236.jpg
    COINS ONLY 236.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 390

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
it just seems like people dont like the idea of a dollar coin. ill bet this one goes in the toilet just like the sacs did.

mgdigger

Jan 31, 2004
Los Osos, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 and ACE 250
It won't work unless they stop printing dollars bills. I would like to see a 5 dollar coin as well, thoes would be fun to find.

OP
OP
NH Bob

NH Bob

Jan 22, 2007
NH
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
You know what? My money is on what you just said.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My brother, bless his heart, has asked for $10 in Sacagaweas (sp?) when he cashes his paycheck every week since they became available. He leaves them as tips and spends them as a practice. Some waitesses don't even know they're legal coins. "Hay! What's this supposed to be?" ;D

Pity we can't get a nice liberty head coin of at least half-dollar size as our dollar coin.

Maybe they can melt down all the unissued S.B.A. dollars for the alloy? Small AND ugly. Who designs these things? The ugliest large cent has more character than anything issued since before 1970. Actually, I like the large cents better than most for some strange reason. We try too hard to be modern and artsy and it just gets busy and awkward.

Spend an hour with a 10X loupe scouring a MS-65 Morgan. Now THAT was a coin.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, but my problem is, and one of the major reasons I got into MDing was because I just love coins. To me they are little works of art, and each one could tell a story if their mouths would move. I have read that some here love to get old relics because they know that the last guy who touched it was probably a soldier or someone who has been dead for 100 years. They all have a history whether it be 100 days or 100 years. When its said that its all about the adventure; there is a lot of truth in that, but its also about that one coin that tells a story all by itself, I think that is the other side of the coin.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mgdigger said:
It won't work unless they stop printing dollars bills. I would like to see a 5 dollar coin as well, thoes would be fun to find.

I agree with him. Until we remove the $1 bill from circulation, the dollar coins will be failures.

Seeing people from other countries post their finds from a day at the park or beach really makes me jealous! Like Canada with the $1 and $2 coins... coming home with $50 in clad would definitely make me a clad hunter a day or two a week!

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
mgdigger said:
I would like to see a 5 dollar coin as well, thoes would be fun to find.
Agree - but I would go one step further. Make a $10 coin for general circulation. A dollar today is about the same as a penny 100+ years ago, yet we still have no coinage in circulation larger than $1. I know lots of people who don't want to bother carrying pennies, nickels, and even dimes. They give them as tips, leave them in vending machines, and even throw them on the ground (all the better for us TH'ers...). They should mint new coins with enough value to make it worthwhile for the average person to want to carry them around. That's my $2 worth ;) (inflation from my old 2 cents worth...)

OP
OP
NH Bob

NH Bob

Jan 22, 2007
NH
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Like one of you said, they don't make coins as beautiful as they used to. Look at a new quarter or dime and then look at the work put into an older coin.

Attachments

• COINS ONLY 007.jpg
    COINS ONLY 007.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 358

mgdigger

Jan 31, 2004
Los Osos, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 and ACE 250
I think we should ditch the penny as well, just no use any more. And why don't we see any halves out there anymore

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Why they are doing it is to make money. The coins won't circulate, and they know it. Same thing with the state quarters. 100 million people are collecting them. Thats a lot of quarters taken out of circulation.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
The Susan B. Anthony & the Sacagawea dollars were not much bigger than a quarter, if memory serves me correct. For a dollar coin to catch on, the gov't should do one of two things or possibly both.
1). Make the dollar coin bigger than a quarter. Possibly as big as a Morgan, Peace, etc. this would be to avoid confusion between the quarter and the dollar coins.
2). Stop making the paper bills. If we don't have a choice, we will be forced to use the dollar coins.

I think the new dollar coins are going to be just like the state quarters. They will be collected and hoarded and not much more. I don't think we will see a lot of them in circulation. Just MHO

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
They could take a lesson from Europe on this one. Look at these coins, since they are two-toned you good and well they are not a quarter.

Attachments

• 1 dollar euro.jpg
    1 dollar euro.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 284
  • 2 dollar euro.jpg
    2 dollar euro.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 290

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw where they were going to release $10 coins with gold content of the First Ladies to coincide with the release of the dollar coins. THOSE will be the collectable ones if you can afford them. I'm sure they will sell for much more than $10.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread