Stupid fire ants!!!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Jason in Enid
  • 1 Post By Alan Applegate
  • 1 Post By texasvarmit

Thread: Stupid fire ants!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Silver Fiend

Oct 2009
    8886 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Stupid fire ants!!!

I hate those little buggers! While I was hunting yesterday, I cut a plug and flipped it open. As I reached for my probe, my hand suddenly felt like it was covered in red hot needles. There were a half dozen of those tiny menaces on my hand, inflicting pain. As I brushed them off I looked down and the plug and ground were completely covered in ants. On my shoes, my pants, my detector... It can't imagine how fast they moved!

After I got them all brushed off and moved a few feet away to safety, I did use the probe to find the coin in the plug, flick it out, then kicked the plug back in and stomped it down.

Today, I wake up and my fingers are covered in burning, itching, bumps and the finger are swollen slightly.

Have I mention I hate those freaking ants?!
    Frankn and Mastiff4me like this.
    You can follow me in other places.
    My Blog
    My YouTube
    My Twitter
    My Instagram
    My Facebook

us
    Aug 2013
    Florida
    Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
    348 times
    Metal Detecting
    Calamine lotion might work on your hands.I have had them teach me a hard lesson a few times also.

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
    2960 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    I hate those little buggers! While I was hunting yesterday, I cut a plug and flipped it open. As I reached for my probe, my hand suddenly felt like it was covered in red hot needles. There were a half dozen of those tiny menaces on my hand, inflicting pain. As I brushed them off I looked down and the plug and ground were completely covered in ants. On my shoes, my pants, my detector... It can't imagine how fast they moved!

After I got them all brushed off and moved a few feet away to safety, I did use the probe to find the coin in the plug, flick it out, then kicked the plug back in and stomped it down.

Today, I wake up and my fingers are covered in burning, itching, bumps and the finger are swollen slightly.

Have I mention I hate those freaking ants?!
    I was down on Marco Island in FL. I was getting my detector from the side compartment of the MH when I felt severe pain in one of my ankles. I look down and it was covered with little fire ants. I wiped them off and looked like I had been hit with a load of bird shot . I rushed into the MH and wiped the area down with After Bite. It numbed the area and stopped the swelling. I continued on with my adventure. After Bite Comes in a tube with a rub on dispenser. It is for all types of stings. Works great. I always carry a tube in the MH. Oh, and yes, those little buggers are fast. Frank...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ants black and white.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	362.4 KB 
ID:	879407

us
    Mr.

Aug 2013
    Roswell, NM
    Ace 250, GTI-2500
    130 times
    Some day, diggers will learn the best defense for biting insects is in the fresh produce aisle of your grocery store—Garlic!

Yes, you're friends don't like the way your breath smells, but biters like it even worse! Chew a few cloves before your start digging, and even fire ants will stay away!
    Msbeepbeep likes this.
    Detectis ergo sum

us
    Jul 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Garrett 250
    3498 times
    Research/Limited field work
    Produce Guy, you live up the road from me. Do we still have fire ants in central Texas or did the drought drive them away? I don't get out in the fields much anymore and I never hear people complaining or see news articles about them...

us
    Mar 2013
    Forest VA
    Whites MXT/ Whites V3I
    14 times
    Yep. I'd say that's as bad as the yellow jacket nest I hit. What was the coin?

us
    Silver Fiend

Oct 2009
    8886 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyw View Post

Sadly it was only a clad dime. I was hoping for a silver one, otherwise I wouldn't have kept trying to get it out.
    My Blog
    My YouTube
    My Twitter
    My Instagram
    My Facebook

us
    Dennis

Jan 2012
    Montana
    White's MXT
    6381 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Them little buggers sure can be aggressive, especially when you try and take their dime. ''They found it first'' Hope your fingers are feeling a little better.

mx
    May 2010
    542 times
    In Mexico, scorpions have a terrible bite. I several times in the night have been woken by a neighbor asking me to drive someone to the hospital. The antivenom costs around $100 a shot, and two are needed.

I can do the same thing with McCormick's tenderizer, if they get it on quick before the sting hits the blood. Make a paste out of the tenderizer powder and rub it on continuously for 10 minutes. Usually scorpion stings hurt for a month. With tenderizer it is all gone within ten minutes. I mean mix new stuff and rub on for a full ten minutes.

No reason it won't work on ant bites, too. They are pretty fierce, I admit

us
    tokenguy

Oct 2006
    Texas and Oklahoma
    Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
    102 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyw View Post
    I have been bit by Texas fire ants (multiples at once), yellow jackets and scorpions. Rarely does one get scorpion bit here though. I will take Fire ant bites over Yellow Jackets anytime.....the yellow jackets and (mahogany) Red wasps, are the worst IMO. They fly, and will attack you from a distance for no reason.

of course scorpions are worse, as are most bad spiders (black widow and brown recluse).

the Texas drought has put a dent in fire ants, or maybe it is Texas A&M entomologists who work to kill the buggers.
    austin likes this.

us
    Silver Fiend

Oct 2009
    8886 times
    Wasp stings hurt like crazy when it happens but then the pain goes away after a day. These fire ant stings are STILL bugging the crap out of me. I woke last night wondering if I could cut my thumb off to get some peace. Never been hit by a scopion and I hope I never do!
    My Blog
    My YouTube
    My Twitter
    My Instagram
    My Facebook

us
    Feb 2012
    God's Country
    Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
    341 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    We were attacked by yellow jackets on a hiking trail in the Smoky Mountains last fall. After the first wave of attacking bees, we all took off on a fast run down the trail. While stopping to catch out breath probably a half mile from the first attack, those little devils began dive bombing us again. We were perused by yellow jackets for nearly a mile.

Fire ants are awful because they always seem to sneak up on you in large numbers. I was cutting a plug last year in South Carolina when my hand started burning. Looking down I had at least 4 or 5 on me with another handful working their way up my show. After a comical dance and shake I was finally able to get rid of them.

Sponsored Links