Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on which books and who they are written by. If the writer has years of experience, probably. I think there is a forum on here about books, you may want to ask there. Can't go wrong with the books written by Karl Von Muller, Glenn Carson, Charles Garrett, etc.

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah! I've been waiting for this subject to show up!

I have read a number of books on metal detecting over the years. These include the ones written by the honorable Charles Garrett. I've probably watched as many videos on the subject as anyone. The long and short of them all, they aren't worth the effort! The main reason is, each of us has our own methodologies to do research on places to hunt. Each of us has developed a specific methodology with respect to the way we swing and dig. While we might be able to learn a few new tricks, I'd lay money that if anyone of us, were to hunt with any of these so-called experts, they wouldn't find any more than we do.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some of them can benefit some people. A lot of this depends on reader experience, subject matter, etc. But I think the best bet is to really learn your machine and then putting in the research time and then hunting time, i.e., you can't find it where it can't be found. I know several hunters who fit into this experienced and successful group and I can tell you that all of them will readily admit that they have far more unsuccessful hunts then successful ones. It may look differently from the outside looking in but it's never as easy or as routine as it might otherwise appear.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read EVERYTHING on T-net. There is sooo much great information here. I've learned so much here. I think a lot of newer people don't go back through the old posts.

If you want to get a book (especially from the authors above), go ahead, you can always re-sell it.
Another place to look is Amazon.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There can be some great information in those kinds of books. One tip can be worth the price of the whole book. A few of these are tips the people usually wouldn't share, but they needed the cash, so they wrote a book on the subject.

When I first read Garrett's "Successful Coinhunting" I was a little disappointed at not immediately finding as much as I thought I would. But then when I went back later, I realized there were a lot of good tips in the book.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think a good percentage of the books are useful to beginners. Thinking back, I'm amazed at how much of the really basic knowledge I didn't know or recognize how it works when I started. Things like - what is ground balance and why does it matter - how to properly get the most out of discrimination - why would I want a smaller coil? and on and on. I've learned a lot on forums as well, but like many new interests, it helps to reach a certain base level as soon as one can, then add to it. AND many of them are fun to read.
luvsdux

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Read the books, whatever interests you can be researched more. Find something you like and pursue it. Need a big research library like UT Austin. If you are in Brownsville, Texas you have Baghdad(Rio Grande port of the past), last battle of the Civil War battlefield area, Resaca de la Palma, Old Fort Brown area, all of South Padre(money hill, Singer treasure, 1550's treasure ships at Mansfield Cut area. There are others, but north Padre is a National Seashore(no Md) so General Taylor's army base is a no-no, and some are on private property. Good luck...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions