Only thing I dont like about this hobby.

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing I don't like about this hobby.

I love this hobby. I am obsessed with it. BUT, as of yet I have not found a way to clean things well. Even the clad. I have a big box full of it and it is mostly black. I want to clean it up to at least be able to cash it in. Have tried all the stuff posted, but am not happy with the results. And anything valuable, I am afraid to even try. Not that I have found that much yet.
I just wish there was an easy way to clean this stuff without ruining it.

And, I still would like to see what machine you guys are using and what state you are from. Lot of posts do not tell!

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just use a coin counter ( free at some banks) - that should hid your shame of cashing in dirty money.

I would make sure theirs not grime on them, but the black/red patina is fine for a coin counter.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a double barrel rock/coin tumbler works well with the cleaning power ordered with it. But if you have a ton of coins to clean the coin counter may be your best bet. Tumbler only cleans 100 pennies/coins in each barrel. I wonder what the mint uses?

diggerdog1

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2013
Don't clean the valuable coins,
It reduces value. I send my modern coins try a coin count in machine.

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for my curiosity, I would like to see it Mandatory for members to put their State in their profile. But that's just me.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cleaning of old copper etc. it simply not an easy task. Fine line between removing oxidation and detail. The heated peroxide is what I generally use. Even lemon juice heated will help a lot. See lots of guys just soaking in olive oil. Wish it was all as easy as the silver. Seldom do you see silver need anything here in TN if dug from the ground. :icon_thumleft:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaning Copper ,Bronze ,Brass {alloy} coins is a pain lemon Juice [worked too well] tho it was not heated, I have not tried the HP Method yet, but Olive oil works ok , it,s very gentile on the coin's and leaves a good patina ; it seems everyone has their favorite method . In the end I guess it depends on ,the Coin & the type of ground it was in. There is only 1 bank with a free coin machine in my area that I know of and I really don't like to pay 8-10 cents of "every dollar to Coin star, Also IMO the banks should take all the pitted & junked Zinc Cents to the Fed Reserve to be taken out of circulation & remelted . [ as long as they can tell that they were legal cents at one time] Maybe that's what they do as I have never taken a bunch of " cluster bomb'ed " Zinc cents. Just my opinion.

therelichunter

Jul 8, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Rock tumbler is my best way..
Be sure don't mix pennies and clad.. or your clad will be the color of pennies.. haha.. I did it.. I Admit!
I use aquarium gravel, apple cider vinegar, and dawn in my tumbler..
and place the whole unit on a dish drainer hanging over the kitchen sink just in case it leaks.
this is the fastest way ive found.. but like the others said..
if its a valuable coin.. don't do this....!!!

Danny

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used the tumbler with just Palmolive and water. The coins tend to act as a media themselves.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a double barrel rock tumbler. I put coins in with aquarium, water and dish soap. I run it for an hour or two depending on how dirty it is. Sometimes I will clean it longer but usually just enough to get the heavier junk and darkness off it. I also tried adding sand but not sure of that made a difference so i stopped.

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used my tumbler with aquarium rock and sop which worked ok but separating it was a pain. saw a show on tv that showed a high-end hotel cleaning all their change in a big tumbler with soap and BB's. Looked like it worked great and separation was much easier. BB's are on my list to try next time

abbynormal

Sep 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear you! I don't have trouble with coins, but want to clean some of the tokens, watch fobs, brass items, and costume jewelry I have. Not sure if I should tumble it or what? Some is bronze, some is brass, some I'm not 100% positive.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So,e people like to kmow where others live, especially when they say it rained here today or its snowing and the temps dropped. If you make a statement like that and dont have your location in your profile, you should state where you live.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree you should say where you live in such cases but I also believe it should be optional there's enough mandates in today's world.ps it's snowing here

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No particular reason, it just makes it more interesting for me, to know what part of the Country one is posting from.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Rock tumbler is my best way..
Be sure don't mix pennies and clad.. or your clad will be the color of pennies.. haha.. I did it.. I Admit!
I use aquarium gravel, apple cider vinegar, and dawn in my tumbler..
and place the whole unit on a dish drainer hanging over the kitchen sink just in case it leaks.
this is the fastest way ive found.. but like the others said..
if its a valuable coin.. don't do this....!!!

Danny

DITTO. I've used the same method for years. You can pick up a rock tumbler fairly cheap at Northern Tool.
Good luck,
MM

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely no need to clean clad and modern coinage before you turn it in, except to wash loose dirt off. Banks will take it and 99% will go through a coin counting machine just fine. I have been running all my coins through the machines since 2007, and the only thing that gets rejected are Canadian coins, crusty pennies and bent/damaged coins. I just toss those back in my purse and spend them.

so clean if you want to look at a shiny coin, but don't bother if you are just cashing it in.

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely no need to clean clad and modern coinage before you turn it in, except to wash loose dirt off. Banks will take it and 99% will go through a coin counting machine just fine. I have been running all my coins through the machines since 2007, and the only thing that gets rejected are Canadian coins, crusty pennies and bent/damaged coins. I just toss those back in my purse and spend them.

so clean if you want to look at a shiny coin, but don't bother if you are just cashing it in.

You're bank must be more easy going than mine. I took some found coins in once and the lady looked at me like I was an alien and they wouldn't take them, had to clean them up

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread