Only thing I dont like about this hobby.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used the tumbler with just Palmolive and water. The coins tend to act as a media themselves.

I do this too...thou i use cheap Dishwasher Dry Soap....no need for gravel or anything...they clean themselves well enough...You just want to cash them in, not polish them

debintn

Tenderfoot
Nov 2, 2012
Corryton
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtp 1350
Whites DFX 300mm. Garrett 250, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We take our clad and use a "coinstar" machine...it will accept most clad. It will spit out a few but you will get rid of most of the clad. You can cash it out for 10% fee, or you can get a gift card and you get 100% back. I am in Tennessee. I don't know why its a secret...lol...

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with those who've mentioned aquarium gravel and a rotary tumbler (I actually used to use a vibrating tumbler - worked fine )
I'd throw all the cupro- nickel clad - including nickels - into the tumbler , with water , a tiny bit of dish soap - though I think a half cup
of vinegar without soap will do a better job ! Keep the copper coins separate unless you don't care about everything coming out looking
like copper . Don't subject any older obsolete coins to this treatment - unless you know value/rarity is not an issue !
I too enjoy knowing generally where people are located - but these days folks are increasingly touchy about their privacy on the internet
with good reason . Most will share with you what kind of rig they're running - you can PM them with detailed questions - I for one am
currently on medical leave (herniated disc) so not getting out for a while . I operate the Whites MXT. - prefer the elliptical coils to the stock.
I'm happy to see that you are getting out and finding some sites and hopefully some goodies too ! Cheers.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just use a coin counter ( free at some banks) - that should hid your shame of cashing in dirty money.

I would make sure theirs not grime on them, but the black/red patina is fine for a coin counter.

I see no shame in finding and turning in dirty change. I feel that we are helping the economy by re-circulating lost coins.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wipe the dirts off and spend it as I go. Paid for gas many times spending a few hours in the park or school.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely no need to clean clad and modern coinage before you turn it in, except to wash loose dirt off. Banks will take it and 99% will go through a coin counting machine just fine. I have been running all my coins through the machines since 2007, and the only thing that gets rejected are Canadian coins, crusty pennies and bent/damaged coins. I just toss those back in my purse and spend them.

so clean if you want to look at a shiny coin, but don't bother if you are just cashing it in.
Same here. My bank has taken my discolored coins twice a year for three years and have never said a word and most of the coins are black. I wash the coins with water so they have no physical dirt, just discoloration. I throw the crusty zincolns away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread