My Grandmothers Photos of Chicago.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going over a box of old photos form my grandmother, DSC00733.JPG and found this... I am 99.9% certain it was taken in Chicago in the 1930. I believe we also have pictures taken in high rises. Looking down and a bunch of P-38's flying low in between the buildings!!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Howdy Helix,

The Air Show has been a big deal in Chicago for a long time.

Kunal-Mehta-Shutterstock.com-CHICAGO-IL-AUGUST-18-The-Lima-Lima-Flight-Team-flies-in-their-Beech.jpg

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do they still fly in between the buildings at 500' .. !!??

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope you have made copies of them, & see if one of the Chi museums would like them. They are history! If you have more, can you post them? I don't know Chicago, but I know it doesn't look like that anymore. Thanks for sharing them with us.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
ThunderbirdsInFrontOfBuildingsHeadingRight.jpg

Pretty sure they do.

1938%20Chicago_0.jpg

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Hindenburg Zeppelin...

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you thinking of the Graf Zeppelin?

"After its last South American crossing of 1933, LZ-127 flew to Miami (Opa Locka, as Bryan correctly noted), where the ship landed on October 23, 1933. The ship left Miami/Opa Locka on October 24 and flew to Akron, Ohio, where it landed the next day, before flying to Chicago on October 26 for an appearance at the 1933 A Century of Progress Exhibition in Chicago." Graf Zeppelin size, length, speed, and other statistics

Stamp_US_1930_65c.jpg

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one flies that low or near buildings any more.

Also a lot of flight training went on here at that time. We still have Great Lakes Naval base which is still in use but Navy pier is now a park. I have heard there are many many air plaines from that time in Lake Michigan.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I beg to disagree, gerry. I thought the Blue Angels were gonna fly up my tailpipe, while driving in the vicinity of the Air Show, not in Chicago.

BlueAngels.jpg

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may have appeared to be that low and that close but they weren't. In fact last time I was at an air show any stunts or any take off or landings were done over water or open areas not where people are.

The old prop planes could fly lower and between the building because they were slower and more stable at slow speeds. The jets today can not do that as the wind corrects in Chicago would push them right into a building.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Gerry,

That's why I said "The Air Show, not in Chicago."

I'm tellin'ya, I'm driving along, up the main drag, Not in Chicago, and the Blue Angels flew directly over top of me. There was no immediate building over 10 stories. My Durango was nearly vibrating. There was a roar, like 100,000 MGM lions! I could clearly see the under carriages of the planes. I'd say they were less than 1000 feet above me.

This was a startling experience. I remember it well. They were much lower than this stadium flyover...

6003704-LAS-IOWA-VS-OHIO-STATE-11_20_2010-19.44.jpg

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, when out in the boonies they can fly lower. I always wanted to go to am air base t see them take off and land up close, but i believe all chances of that are gone post 9/11

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some were I have Photos of the Hindenburg Zeppelin, in Chicago........ It all about the history!

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also heard the Navy would park gun ships around Chicago, then from time to time shoot off the 4"-6" cannons .. Target Practice.........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread