Food recall

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey yall, I wanted to let people know that may or may not be aware that there is a massive recall of different items going on for listeria contamination, from deli salads to baked beans and cole slaw and more, lately I have been under the weather both mentally and physically the other night I went to the ER for non-physical reasons, but I found out that I had a bad infection, today I found out that I have listeriosis, to be honest I thought I just had the stomach flu, guess not, my wife went through our recycle bin and found the container from some deli chicken salad we got from kroger supermarket last week and sure enough the barcode matched the recalled ones, so they gave me a massive antibiotic through IV and orally, so time will tell, did a little googling of it and it can turn into bacterial meningitis..bad stuff.
found some news

http://www.resers.com/images/uploads/news/Consumer_Recall_Product_List_with_Brands_.pdf

Listeria prompts recall of chicken salad, other deli items - CBS News

There are a ton of items listed in the top link.

I am posting this so hopefully none others may get sick, was going to post it in the health section, but barely anybody reads it or posts to it.

Mike

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the heads up BC. I'm really beginning to worn about produce even,especially those bagged salads and have stated washing and drying even the ones that say they are ready to eat.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made a big pot of home made chicken noodle soup from scratch Saturday. I refrigerated it and got it out to make dumplings for it for dinner last night. Something I put in it went bad and it was bubbling as if it had fermented over night. I had put so,e freah carrots, celery, cilantro, parsley and some fresh garlic. I tasted the soup and it tasted as if it had fermented.

Not happy about this because normally freeze it and have it for lunch over he next few weeks.

Not sure what caused it, but i had washed everything. Argh

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the CBS link. I live in New England, so I will definitely be staying away from the deli counters!

Hope you feel better soon.

Anita

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I made a big pot of home made chicken noodle soup from scratch Saturday. I refrigerated it and got it out to make dumplings for it for dinner last night. Something I put in it went bad and it was bubbling as if it had fermented over night. I had put so,e freah carrots, celery, cilantro, parsley and some fresh garlic. I tasted the soup and it tasted as if it had fermented.

Not happy about this because normally freeze it and have it for lunch over he next few weeks.

Not sure what caused it, but i had washed everything. Argh

One mistake a lot of people do when handling chicken is to thaw it out on the counter top.

Chicken (all meat really) should be thawed out in the refrigerator the day before.

If you are in a hurry to thaw out chicken, then place it in a big enough pot or bowl so that it can be covered with water. Place the chicken in the pot under the sink faucet and turn it on slowly so that the water will over flow in the pan. Leave the water running slowly, this will wash way any bacteria that might be on the chicken and keep it from reproducing.

Another thing is putting hot foods in large pots in the refrigerator to cool it down. The problem is that it will not cool quickly in a large pot. Stir the pot a few times will help cool it down faster. Best thing to do is put it in a shallow pan (cake pan) and let it cool down on the counter until you can barely hold your finger in for a few seconds. Then put it in the refrigerator in whatever you want to store it in.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased the chicken from the store thawed. I rinsed it well then put it in the pan and started cooking.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I did some research and found out to my suprise, that even in very cold temps, listeria can grow, even in your fridge..it says the fridge needs to be below 34 degrees to stop it from growing, I'll paste below what I was reading.

Listeria monocytogenes can be found throughout the environment and in many foods. It is associated primarily with meat and animal products. It resists heat, salt, nitrite and acidity better than many organisms and can grow at temperatures as low as 34oF (1oC). Low storage temperatures slow, but do not stop growth. Commercial freezer temperatures of 0oF will stop L. monocytogenes from multiplying, but may not destroy it. Commercial pasteurization procedures for dairy products have been determined to be sufficient to destroy this organism. Proper cooking and reheating of foods will effectively control Listeria. The organism can colonize cracks, food-filled crevices, and inaccessible areas in food preparation and processing facilities and equipment. This presents a significant challenge to sanitation procedures.

Recent outbreaks of L. monocytogenes foodborne infections (listeriosis) have heightened concerns over its presence in foods. Its presence on a food does not change the taste or smell of the food. Foods implicated in outbreaks include soft (i.e. Latin-American white cheeses, Feta), and surface-ripened cheeses (i.e. Brie, Camembert--both domestic and imported), deli salads such as cole slaw, raw (unpasteurized) milk, turkey franks and other hot dogs, shrimp and (undercooked) chicken. Previously cooked, ready-to-eat foods requiring no further cooking are also of concern.

Who is at risk?

Most healthy people will not become ill from foods contaminated with this organism. Persons at increased risk include pregnant women (or more correctly, their fetus), organ transplant recipients, the elderly and those with immunosuppressive conditions such as cancer, renal disease, diabetes, AIDS, and conditions caused by corticosteroid use.

What are the symptoms?

The disease symptoms are variable and depend on the individual's susceptibility.

Symptoms may be limited to fever, fatigue, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Flu-like symptoms may occur 12 hours after eating L. monocytogenes contaminated food. Researchers are not sure how many L. monocytogenes organisms it takes to cause illness. Onset time probably depends on the health of the patient, the strain of L. monocytogenes and the amount of the bacteria ingested. However, these symptoms can precede a more serious illness.

The more serious cases of listeriosis may take one to six weeks to develop. These cases may result in meningitis (brain infections) and septicemia (bacteria in the bloodstream). Pregnant women with flu-like symptoms due to listeriosis are particularly at risk and may develop complications which can result in miscarriage, stillbirth, or septicemia or meningitis in the newborn. In older children and adults, complications usually involve the central nervous system and blood stream, but may include pneumonia and endocarditis (inflammation of the heart lining and valves). Skin contact of L. monocytogenes with a wound can cause localized abscesses or skin lesions.

Listeriosis can be positively diagnosed by culturing the organisms from blood or cerebrospinal fluid. The disease can be treated with antibiotic drugs such as penicillin or ampicillin.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope your better

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Supposedly we are getting frozen veggies in from China, and the packages don't say so, the package says where it was packaged, not where it was grown.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most grocery stores in the US have a recall notice on their web sights.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread