Im a cheeep guy!

konnon6

Feb 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
homemade/whites DFX/MinlabGP3000/Garret 250
I'm a cheeep guy!

I don't allways have room for a big metal detector. But I do have room for
A stud finder.It can tell you whats in the wall before you tear in to it.
like searching an old house.Its about 3 bucks at the hardwear.26 bucks for a really good one.What does it tell you? well studs of course but pipes and electic lines and oh ya coins metal boxes even a hidden wall safe.Now is it worth it? yes!My old girlfriend
found 200.00 face value in silver coins. she saw a slot in the drywall about 3 feet above the floor.All around it were dirty finger prints.she took my stud finder ran it down the wall and got a reading of a pipe but there wasn't anything that would be there.
not even an outlet.So I hit the wall hard CA-CHING seems someone used the wall as a pigie bank! The next find was a safe yep seems like some covered over a wall safe
with dry wall.Since I'm not a safe cracker(well not yet anyway) LOL we spent the rest of the day cutting it out of the wall.It didn't have any money in it.And cost 150.00 to have it opened. But I sold it to a guy who collects safes for 160.00 he told me it was
an old H and S safe about 1930 but the house was built in 1950s can't figure out that one.I pay a demo contractor 25 bucks to let me check out the house before he demos
it.if its really old 50 bucks.

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II
Re: I'm a cheeep guy!

Nice post there mate-full of good info!
Sounds like your on a good streak there!
Will have to try that for sure!
Have also heard of people using just the detector and sunray pinpointer with no main coil (guess any pinpointer would work) to scan houses.

Thanks for the info and congrats on the finds!

Have fun,
Salvager

R

redstarr

I never thought of using the stud finder for that. I already have one I've used to find studs. I'm going to do my own house tonight. My house is ancient (1888) and I've run my metal detector all around in my house before and it just goes off like crazy (I assume from things like wires and plumbing and nails and such) so I couldn't tell if there was anything to look for or not. Mabey a stud finder will reveal something cool.

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2

Never operate a detector in the house,the detector overloads,does not get damaged,it just picks up everything,a stud finder,sounds good,even a good pinpointer,would be the same,Keep finding them hidden treasures.Ronald99 ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread