EARBUDS -vs- COVER THE EAR HEADPHONES Which Do You Prefer?

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out with cover the ear style and found them to be heavy, bulky, and make me look like I should be listening to Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon while enjoying a phatty.

But, I got an adapter to convert the 1/4 jack to 1/8th and now use earbuds. I can hear better and more precise, there is like 99% less weight, and it looks better.

Your thoughts?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Over the ear. Much more durable and longer cable wire.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Step 1: stop worrying about what others might think about you. Use and do what works.

over-the-ear are always better because they block more outside noise. Of course there are times when sweat, or outside threats make it necessary to keep your ears more open.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Step 1: stop worrying about what others might think about you. Use and do what works. over-the-ear are always better because they block more outside noise. Of course there are times when sweat, or outside threats make it necessary to keep your ears more open.

The earbuds will make you look like you are listen to music....The metal detector you would be swiging would make you look crazy...lol

I personally only wear headphones if im in a high traffic area....so MAYBE like twice a year

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What detector are you running? When I had my ACE 250. I would get regualer headphones and have them around my neck...that thing was loud enough, i didnt need them on my ears

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Step 1: stop worrying about what others might think about you. Use and do what works.

over-the-ear are always better because they block more outside noise. Of course there are times when sweat, or outside threats make it necessary to keep your ears more open.

LOL I really could care less what people think it was a joke. In Texas it's so dusty by the time I am done detecting I look like a pig farmer. It's also quite hot in Texas so sweat is an issue with the over the ear type. I can hear a lot better with the earbuds but I do have a good pair not just some walmart $9.99ers which I would think would make a difference.

Reelsnrods

Feb 13, 2013
Nantucket
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the over the ear as less people try to talk to me, I can hear better (I think), and since I'm living in New England during an epically cold winter... They're way warmer!

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What detector are you running? When I had my ACE 250. I would get regualer headphones and have them around my neck...that thing was loud enough, i didnt need them on my ears

I have a cheap bounty hunter. Waiting for income tax so I can get the AT Pro. I know I am going to have to go back to the over the ear type when the at pro gets here because they have a special jack for their phones.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out with cover the ear style and found them to be heavy, bulky, and make me look like I should be listening to Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon while enjoying a phatty.

But, I got an adapter to convert the 1/4 jack to 1/8th and now use earbuds. I can hear better and more precise, there is like 99% less weight, and it looks better.

Your thoughts?

Lol! Over the ear! The scarier I look the better I like it- people leave me alone! Plus I can hear them or choose to ignore them. Just me and the detector swinging along...alone with the treasure!

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The earbuds will make you look like you are listen to music....The metal detector you would be swiging would make you look crazy...lol I personally only wear headphones if im in a high traffic area....so MAYBE like twice a year

I've always used over-the-ear phones because I can hear the tiniest whisper from my MXT in Prospect Mode, where with the others not so much. Also, if you're only using phones twice a year, you're using up A LOT of batteries unnecessarily.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! Over the ear! The scarier I look the better I like it- people leave me alone! Plus I can hear them or choose to ignore them. Just me and the detector swinging along...alone with the treasure!

Put a set of rabbit ears on your head phones and no one will ever bother you. Works great for me.

Easymark

Jan 17, 2014
Harlem, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since I wear glasses and live in the South, I hate headphones.

I got the Garrett adapter for the ATP, volume control from Radio Shack, and Sony earbuds with a long cord. That worked very well.

Then I was given a pair of Sony Bluetooth Earbuds that work really well for listening to I-Phone music when I am mowing. (10 acres so I need entertainment)

So I added a Monoprice bluetooth transmitter to my detector. Now I am cordless and it works perfect for me.

I did have to leave the volume control attached in order to kill the speaker on the detector. (I don't know why, I am not an electrician).

No noticeable delay and with good fitting earbuds, outside noise is not a problem either.

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cover your ears type, but ones that are considerably smaller and lighter weight than stock metal detector head phones. The only time I drag the big boys out is when it's really cold and I need ear muffs.

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cover phones. Ear buds simply do not stay put in my ears. I think having your ears covered(from environmental noise) and the size of the speaker being larger, seems to me to be advantageous...supposing that the sound dynamics are better. Also, I don't mind looking like I am listening to big tunes in my big headphones because people generally do not bother me...cause I appear to be jamming.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I also got a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter, and got some inexpensive over the ear types . I purposely adjust them so they sit just above
the center of my ears because I don't like not being able to hear my surroundings while detecting, but I want the detector sounds to be loud and clear, especially to hear faint deep sounds.
One of my big beefs with headphones is the cord getting in my way. Heres how I solved this. I always use an over the shoulder nylon strap with my detector. I tape the excess headphone cord to the detector then run the rest up the left side of the strap
secures with small zip ties. So the loose headphone cord is only about 20 inches long and is never in my way. It doesn't
get pulled when I swing the detector either. When I stop to dig a signal, I swing the detector out of my way though it is still
strapped onto me. Sounds like a lot, but it really is very comfortable, convenient, and efficient. I also could not stand the
big fat headphones, and after wearing them a while they really hurt your ears. I don't see why not to use earbuds, but I would
attach them the same way so they don't get in my way.

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never use any. Seems like they get in the way.

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never use any. Seems like they get in the way.

What you save in batteries would pay for a pretty good set fairly soon!

gman7665

Mar 1, 2013
Campville New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a few more years and the wireless kind should come down in price , I just have the over the ear but have been wanting to try the buds ,They have some awesome sound and nice base... P.S. , My Wife came to get Me from a Hunt in a Field one day after droping Me off , I was still Swinging in the middle of the field and She said I looked like a Lost Blind Man w/ His Cane " lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread